• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - MQ2 on non-admin Windows account (not working?) (1 Viewer)

RedCents
551¢
I recently reinstalled W10 and my new security practice is using a regular user profile in which to do my daily computing. I haven't been very active in any video game lately, but hopped into EQ today. I noticed that EQBCS shows itself running out of my admin user in the file location window and MQ2 loads, but it doesn't actually load the overlay or anything into EQ. I can hop over to the admin account and run everything fine. I feel like this is a pretty stupid question, but does anyone know if I can get everything working right under the non-admin account, or do I need to stay in the admin account to run everything OK? For clarification, when I start the RG launcher, it asks for my admin password, so it's running with admin privilege.

EQBCS shows running and listening for connections, but my EQ clients don't connect
MQ2 shows running in my taskbar, but does not show up in EQ

I recently reinstalled W10 and my new security practice is using a regular user profile in which to do my daily computing. I haven't been very active in any video game lately, but hopped into EQ today. I noticed that EQBCS shows itself running out of my admin user in the file location window and MQ2 loads, but it doesn't actually load the overlay or anything into EQ. I can hop over to the admin account and run everything fine. I feel like this is a pretty stupid question, but does anyone know if I can get everything working right under the non-admin account, or do I need to stay in the admin account to run everything OK? For clarification, when I start the RG launcher, it asks for my admin password, so it's running with admin privilege.

EQBCS shows running and listening for connections, but my EQ clients don't connect
MQ2 shows running in my taskbar, but does not show up in EQ
mq doesn't require admin privs unless you're using something else like isboxer which does - then you need to launch mq as admin

mq doesn't require admin privs unless you're using something else like isboxer which does - then you need to launch mq as admin
Thanks Sic - I'll give it another shot once the kids are in bed. I could have sworn I had everything running normally a month and a half ago when I reinstalled everything, so it must be the whole RG launcher running out of admin mode.

I don't know what the heck I did on my installation, but I ended up having to reinstall everything and it's back to working as expected/fine on the non-admin account.

Last edited:
Question - MQ2 on non-admin Windows account (not working?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back