• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Mage vs Monk (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,978¢
I'm wonder about a mage vs a monk each at 115-ish.

I'm currently running a group with- Warrior, Bard, Monk, Shammy, Cleric, and Mage.
But I'm wondering if I dump the monk and add another mage if I'd be better off w/ DPS and ease of running the group. I use CWTN and Sic's plugins and KA for the Bard.

Whats the general consensus?

Thanks- BB

Ima stop you right there. Play what your want/enjoy.

For best bang for your buck, thats kinda terrible group :(

warrior = OK
Bard = OK
Monk = not good in any group
Shaman = your over 101 main healer + med DPS
Cleric = are we raiding? waste of a spot
Mage = good to great DPS, but.. well.

So, yes drop the monk for a mage, 100%. Drop cleric for a bst or necro, if you must keep cleric drop shaman for a bst.

Always play what you like and love. From a min/max point, if thats your question, alot of improvement on this group :shrug: but MQ lets you level up and get other chars into the mix fairly easily

I'm wonder about a mage vs a monk each at 115-ish.

I'm currently running a group with- Warrior, Bard, Monk, Shammy, Cleric, and Mage.
But I'm wondering if I dump the monk and add another mage if I'd be better off w/ DPS and ease of running the group. I use CWTN and Sic's plugins and KA for the Bard.

Whats the general consensus?

Thanks- BB

I may be in the minority here, but having dual healers is not all that bad, especially if the Shaman is using the Hybrid setting on the CWTN plugin.

You can't always cover all potential variables, and having that extra bit of survivability, is never a bad thing in my experience. So, in keeping with your initial question, I would do as you are thinking, and swap the Monk for the Mage. You'll have your added DPS, and keep your backup healing. ;)

dont need backup healing, even f2p in modern content. i said keep the cleric and get a bst instead of shaman.. and still go with a mage over monk.
Well that depends a bit on where the chars are in their gear/development. If they dont have aa or gear they most certainly do need backup healing until they get there. It also assumes pulls are 1's and twos not 5s and 8's. It also assumes that the tank is reasonably geared not under geared. All of which increase the need for healing. There are certainly group makeups and locations where one healer is all that is needed and others where you will just bang your head against a wall and die repeatedly.

Well that depends a bit on where the chars are in their gear/development. If they dont have aa or gear they most certainly do need backup healing until they get there. It also assumes pulls are 1's and twos not 5s and 8's. It also assumes that the tank is reasonably geared not under geared. All of which increase the need for healing. There are certainly group makeups and locations where one healer is all that is needed and others where you will just bang your head against a wall and die repeatedly.
Yes, true story. If there isn't the supported gear or AA's, it will make things tougher. And for that extra healing is important. But, overall, just 1 healer will suffice the player spends a bit more time on the AA's and gear. I'd recommend that route as I find it more enjoyable to make things as efficient as possible instead of compensating for the lack of equipment and AA's.

No wrong way here. Additional healing or additional AA and equipment. Up to the player.

Yes, true story. If there isn't the supported gear or AA's, it will make things tougher. And for that extra healing is important. But, overall, just 1 healer will suffice the player spends a bit more time on the AA's and gear. I'd recommend that route as I find it more enjoyable to make things as efficient as possible instead of compensating for the lack of equipment and AA's.

No wrong way here. Additional healing or additional AA and equipment. Up to the player.
I mean if you have a group that is perfect from the get go then you dont have to worry about it. If you have a group that is 'getting there' then you certainly might. I think most will eventually get there but they might not be there... quite yet.

I'm a bit of an odd ball in that my main 6 box group has both a cleric and shaman. I personally like the survivability having two healers adds to my play style since the rest of my group is all melee.

I don't CC anything anymore and just kind of plow through the pulls with out thinking about it too much.

The real bonus is on missions that like to stun, mez, or otherwise disable members of your team, you have a back up that is there to fill the slot.

With that said, you could fairly easily do the same thing with the pets by going with a BST and between the BST + MAG be able to pet tank almost anything in the group game.

I also use CLR and SHM, even max AA and almost entirely t3 group geared/aug'd from NoS on my SK. I've considered swapping my SHM for a BST at some point, but I run SHM in DPS mode 99% of the time and the 1% is when I run missions that are a little iffy to zerg (easier than learning mechanics and I'm lazy, hence CWTN plugins haha) so having that extra healing is nice. Maybe if the SHM had a rez stick things would be different, but /shrug

There are trade-offs to any group composition. I happen to like mine right now and there's really nothing I need on any of my guys to be effective. I'm building another crew to see how it goes running a non-melee group (maybe I'll like it more? I dunno) but as some folks have said, play what you like and you'll enjoy the game more.

It's not always about having the most streamlined, efficient crew.

Wow, I didn't expect this many responses.

I did dump the monk and am going to try another mage. Not sure about leaving out the second healer, but will give it a go for a few anniversary missions and see how that is.
Do appreciate all the feed back folks!

BB

I'm with the above posters do some research on the forms and your quickly find that a lot of people have slightly odd groups that bring out some great utility. Im with the "play what you like" mentality. Otherwise you will be thought paralyzed like i was! :)

1st - Everyone is wrong. Never play what you want to play. Everquest is not here for your enjoyment, silly. It is here to frustrate you. It is here to only play the meta. It is here to sink your time, money, and relationships. It is here to provide you with the carrot at the end of a stick while you trudge along on your way to your eventual funeral.

/sarcasm off

2 healers is overkill in the group game. Especially if SHM has a rez stick. Can you run 2 healers? Yes. Do I have a cleric? Yes, 2 of them. Do I have a SHM? Yes, 1. In group content, I do not run both. I did when I first leveled back in Feb of 2022. But I ran into some content I was under-geared for, and if I had 1 more DPS sans 1 healer, would have breezed through it. SHM at 100+ with AA and rez stick is plenty for a group. A BST can also act as a secondary healer.

As for MNK DPS - at 120, ToL T3 group geared/fully augged, my MNK and BST were equal DPS on the typical boss fights. However, my other toons benefitted from the additional DPS the BST provides. I would drop the MNK in favor of BST.

My opinion of a well-rounded group? Drop the CLR/MNK in favor of a BST/NEC. But, again, my opinion only.

1st - Everyone is wrong. Never play what you want to play. Everquest is not here for your enjoyment, silly. It is here to frustrate you. It is here to only play the meta. It is here to sink your time, money, and relationships. It is here to provide you with the carrot at the end of a stick while you trudge along on your way to your eventual funeral.

/sarcasm off
LMAO!!
This right here!
I'm going to go buy some Red Cents just to tip you good sir!~

Question - Mage vs Monk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back