• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Mage Pet Gear Questions (1 Viewer)

RedCents
90¢
Greetings and Salutations fellow humanoids!

I am returning to EQ after not playing it since the Kunark expansion (felt I needed to tie up some youthful ends). I have decided to main pet classes, more specifically the Mage. But Now that I am level 61+ I have some questions I need some assistance with. I guess I should just put what I know and seek correction, with questions to follow:

1.) Pets will always accept weapons with faster delay, no matter what the damage of the weapon.
2.) Pets will always accept armor and items with higher AC (even by 1 point) no matter the stats.
3.) Don't put anything on a pet's back, or give them a shield that can be worn on the back as this removes the innate back item pets receive upon being summoned.
4.) Pets will proc weapon proc effects if they meet the proc level requirement.

Now I've seen here and there that mage pets start to get auto-summoned gear when you summon them at some point.
--I've seen 51+ but is this your level or the pet level?
--What gear is summoned (so I don't have to double summon)?
--Is this only a mage pet thing or do other summoners do this for their pets?

I have seen something about Enhanced Minion focus or something, but I've looked around and can't nail this down. I assume this is a focus effect on gear that causes your minion to be stronger. By a few levels I assume? Items only, not AA focused right?

Thank you for your assistance and attention to my question if you do happen to throw some friendly knowledge my direction lol.

Pets will take what they need. I am unsure when basic equipped pets came around, 51? 61? somewhere about there? You can also use the new /pet inventory command to see what your pet is wearing.

Points 1 through 4 you are just correct. Nothing else needs to be said.

Only mage pets come pre-summoned with their level appropriate summoned gear (summoned plate/focus items that the mage can summon with spells) starting at, I believe, 61 (but I'm not 100% sure on that level). That is to say, the pet spell you are casting when you are level 61. This used to only be true if you had a level appropriate pet focus item, but I remember that was supposed to be changed years ago (I don't know for sure whether it was or was not)
EDIT: Though they never come pre-summoned with weapons, since you might want to summon different weapons for different situations/zones.

Beast and Necro get the back slot item, but not the mage summoned gear.

Enhanced Minion is a worn pet focus that comes on various gear. There are earlier forms of pet focus, as well, but now it's just 'Enhanced Minion #' to keep it simple. (Old website with information about old pet focus items)
But essentially you've got the right idea. Higher pet focus just increase the base stats (and, at certain breakpoints, level) of your summoned pets.

More reading about pets and gear can be found here, but most of it has already been covered now.

Last edited:
Question - Mage Pet Gear Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back