• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Level check (1 Viewer)

The first thought that came into my head when I read your question: "Of course it's a server-side check."

The second thought was: "Why should it be?"

But, there pretty much has to be a server-side check, given casting dynamics and network load considerations. Consider an area effect buff that is MGBed. Does it make more sense for the client to check every person in range of the buff and then notify the server of every person who qualified for it or for the client to send one message to the server, and the server notify those who are in range and qualify for the buff?

At any rate, it's very easy to check (and thus, very likely to be checked.) Just look up the appropriate TLOs and change the level of the toon you're trying to buff so that your client is fooled.

I'd do it myself, but I'm lazy. :)

Well this only comes up because of what I see Abyss doing, some of the things I thought could never been done are now being done (If its right or not is not what I'm getting at). So I really dont consider if Sony thinks or not about it. Alot of how they do things are just shortcuts so they dont have to spend the time or money to do it right.

But chances are your right...

Thanks also Poe, giving me a place to start looking

someoneorsomething said:
I think this would be easy to find a character and ban him. Lvl 5 with conviction? Just like the shared bank when non flaged peeps had anguish gear.

However, something I noticed on my home server....

There is a Festival going on that alot of Guides pertake in ( my server is usually empty of GM's/Guides, but there has been alot on lately running the events (10-15)) also, another thing i noticed.. i was on my level 19 paladin at the main bank in PoK and one of the Guides MGB'd conviction, and it stuck to my toon and every other toon there..... So i'm guessing they don't check it much for instances like these?

Poe said:
Consider an area effect buff that is MGBed. Does it make more sense for the client to check every person in range of the buff and then notify the server of every person who qualified for it or for the client to send one message to the server, and the server notify those who are in range and qualify for the buff?
Actually, your client already knows what level people in the zone are. It's the reason NPCs on track show up their con color and when you target someone, EQ shows the con color on the target ring. The level information is sent to the clients.

I do, however, think that the client sends/receives packets when casting spells for the simple fact when you try casting a buff on a person that is too low to receive it, there is a slight delay and the spell casts for a moment and then cuts out.

nyghteyes said:
Is the level check when casting buffs server or client side?

Level check when "Casting and "landing a buff" is server-side, Wep Procs are client. At least thats what I know, maybe someone has figured out a way /shrug from as many times as I tried tho I couldn't find a way.

majin1970 said:
Actually, your client already knows what level people in the zone are. It's the reason NPCs on track show up their con color and when you target someone, EQ shows the con color on the target ring. The level information is sent to the clients.

If you read my entire post, you know I'm aware that the client 'knows' the level of the toons involved. The logical argument I was putting forth was that it would put much less load on the server and network to let the server compute which characters were in range and qualified to receive an MGB'd buff than it would be for the client to inform the server of each toon that was in range and was qualified to receive a buff.

majin1970 said:
I do, however, think that the client sends/receives packets when casting spells for the simple fact when you try casting a buff on a person that is too low to receive it, there is a slight delay and the spell casts for a moment and then cuts out.

My typical experience differs from yours. I don't normally notice any perceivable delay. Your observation does bring to mind another bit of ancedotal evidence that suggests much of the spell casting process is handled server side though, such as when a server or zone-wide inability to cast spells occurs.

Buffing is handled server-side. When you are buffed by someone else the server tells the client "here is your buff". The traget is identified in the packet sent to the server. Sure you can make your client think that your buffed when in reality you are not, kinda like the self-illusion hacks.

Does the client check for the target's level before casting? I'm sure it does, if it didn't then thats a lot more packets that have to go through the server. It just makes sense that the client would do a check first, before sending the buff packet.

Level check

Users who are viewing this thread

Back