• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Let's try this again... (1 Viewer)

letmein

RedCents
Soultaker if you delete this post, I SWEAR TO GOD...

People, if your running pre-compiled version of MQ2, your in serious jeopardy of getting your accounts banned.

Defaulty MQ2MASTERMIND is in the compile, and running.

Why is that a bad thing? It leaves a HUGE security hole open.

Default password is "Funkytown"

On everyone. So if someone suspects you, all they need to do is send you the tell. And your nicked.

Now Soultaker, LEAVE THIS POST ALONE, so everyone and their mom doesn't get banned. kk thnx bahbye

Last edited:
letmein said:
Soultaker if you delete this post, I SWEAR TO GOD...

People, if your running pre-compiled version of MQ2, your in serious jeopardy of getting your accounts banned.

Defaulty MQ2MASTERMIND is in the compile, and running.

Why is that a bad thing? It leaves a HUGE security hole open.

Here's your hint:

Lipps, Inc

Now Soultaker, LEAVE THIS POST ALONE, so everyone and their mom doesn't get banned. kk thnx bahbye

you should /unload any plugins you dont use, to begin with...

Informing the community of one thing is fine, but is far different thing to come out and attack the commuinty with profanites. That is whay the post where removed.

As far as Mastermind goes yes its highly trackable and is stated so on the MQ forums. But if a person wishes to use it then they have that right.

Not getting into a debate over this. If this thread turns into another flame it will be removed also.

now thats a much better post than your other two bro ..

and thanks.. I forgot to check plugins loaded

all taken care of now.. 8-)

It's not a matter of using it. I could care less if people want to use it.

The fact remains, EVERYONE using those compiles has it loaded if they didn't know about it. With a default password, that everyone who is smart enough to look has the same.

You need to understand my sheer rage when someone send me the Funkytown tell today.

I've never used mastermind etc, guessing most people have it default as well.
This is unbelievable...plain and simple.

letmein said:
It's not a matter of using it. I could care less if people want to use it.

The fact remains, EVERYONE using those compiles has it loaded if they didn't know about it. With a default password, that everyone who is smart enough to look has the same.

You need to understand my sheer rage when someone send me the Funkytown tell today.

I've never used mastermind etc, guessing most people have it default as well.
This is unbelievable...plain and simple.

So you must have done something to cause someone to suspect you. Why would this make you angry at the person sending you the tells?

I'm using Cade's excellent current compile, and it doesn't load mastermind by default, at least it doesn't show on the plugin list. Nver used it anyhoo.

The fact that someone knows the default password for it and that they have the balls enough to use it shows how blatant of a weakness it is...

Happend to me yesterday and was really shocked, first person who tell me got a message of something like YES MASTER I WILL DO ALL I CAN FOR YOU... that's could have be not that much of a problem, but as I speak french and it was a french person, she wondering why I speak to her in english, and why I say that...

Really bad plugin

It's like a remote control for whatever EQ box it's running in. It more or less sends ANY command directly to the console.

On a side note, if you use the tried and true pre-compiles like Cade's for example, you do not have this problem. Yes, the password is the same by default, but the plugin is not loaded by default. No worries here.

Furthermore, when you download an archive of someone else's Mq2 folder, it's more blatantly obvious than the "backdoor" itself that someone else's setting are going to be all over the place in that folder. The first thing I do when I unpack a new compile is replace every .ini in the folder with my backups. If you don't do the same... I guess I'm a little heartless when it comes to stuff like this because I am such a huge supporter of natural selection.

-CodeCaster

MQ2Mastermind will not work if you have the "Use Tell Windows" option on. Only works if you don't have tell windows open. So if you are too lazy to fix it, just turn on tell windows and you're set. (at least it won't work for me when I have tell windows on.)

Look gang do not turn this into a flame fest...

Letmein is warning people that use precompiles of a issue that he ran into

I normally change all my ini's and unload all plugins except the ones i use..

But I forgot to this time.. major fustration with compiling..

thanks to this post.. i unloaded mastermind.. on all my machines..

its a warning.. take it for what its worth ..

if it applies.. use it

if it doesn't then cool

post helpful stuff.. not BS

8-)

Listen,

I normally compile myself. I'm using Cade's compile...so, yeah. It is turned on by default.

Anyways, the whole thing went like this.

I'm in a zone with my rl friend and he and I are just camping some named getting xp. No biggie. THe guy who sent me the tell, which I quickly responded "Yes master I will do thy bidding." Is part of a guild who uses MQ2 EXCLUSIVELY.

They make no bones about it. I've never so much as spoken to the guy, or the guild for that matter. I don't use active hacks, and NOONE on the server knows my toons. If I'm not playing with my real life buddy, I'm in the DZ.

It happens. It's not that hard to send a tell to everyone in a high lvl zone "Funkytown", and if it doesn't work, say "LOL MT"

If someone doesn't have MQ2 etc they won't know what you were doing. Chances are, in a high lvl zone, with only 30 people in zone, ONE person will be using MQ2.

letmein said:
I'm using Cade's compile...so, yeah. It is turned on by default.

I'm not saying don't check anyway, but it's not on by default in Cade's compile. I just checked for the third time.

-CodeCaster

Bardscorpse_01 said:
You could always just /setmasterkey and CHANGE THE MASTER KEY.

You'd have to do this every time you start up MQ, which would be a pain to do every time. Like some people mentioned, would be easier to just remove the MQ2Master.dll or MQ2Mastermind.dll (depending on which you have) and remove it from the start up ini file as well, this ensures you take no risks when you start up MQ.

Bardscorpse_01 said:
You could always just /setmasterkey and CHANGE THE MASTER KEY. Guess thats beyond some people though.
Yeah, it's beyond me. I'm sorry I'm not so amazingly smart and knowledgeable as you are. This is why I rely on the wonderful NICE people who help out and compile. Not everyone here is as familiar with coding and computer stuff as others. You don't have to be so insulting.

well thats good to know lol it was default laoded in mine, dont wanna lose my last account lol already lost my 2 mains hehe
FUCKEN sucks not haven my toons hehe

Cade said:
Negative, the master key is stored in an ini. At least in my compile.

For all the compiles I've dealt with, it has had to be changed again every time I restarted MQ. It may be something I did though, I tend to mix and match the files I like anyway.

Let's try this again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back