• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Guide - Legit AFK-Exping (1 Viewer)

Crystane

RedCents
736¢
Heya here is my way to absolutely Sony-EULA-conform earn experience while AFK.

What you need:

1. A group out of 3 toons with mercs, 1 of em needs to be able to take some hits from mobs where you setup.
2. Mercsetup 1 Tank, 1Clr, 1DPS (at least the tank J5)
3. A zone with fast respawning mobs, roamers and close mobs. (e.g. The Grounds)
4. Correct setup!!!! Assign the Tank-Merc grouprole Main Tank, assign NO other roles at all!!! Set Merc to Aggressive!
5. DPS to Burn and Clr to Reactive.
6. Setup camp on top of at least 1 mobs spawn point. (e.g. Center round yard in the grounds)
7. Optional. Invis your group, except the "Hitman"

What happens is: Your Hitman will draw aggro, the aggressive maintank merc will try to get aggro as soon as possible. Now the mercs kill the mobs.
(e.g. My J5 combo 100 DPS merc, 95 Tank merc, 95Clr merk can handle up to 4 mobs no problem at initial breakin, aka invisdrop, after that the mobs respawn
and die in series anyway)

Optional: When you are on, can stir the pot by just tagging a new mob around ya in range with a clicky or arrow, when your mercs would otherwise go idle. And add DPS once merctank got aggro.
Optional2: Use your Hitman to tag with whatever best inital aggro you got and replace tankmerc by another DPS. Let the dpsers play ping pong with the mobs.
At 95+ in grounds the dpsmercs can take enough hits and get healed just fine to do so.

Enjoy your free Experience, Crystane.
PS: I advice to testrun if your very setup can do what mine does and lives thru for a couple mobs, and a round of respawns without active help.

I have leveled this way before I knew about RG, there were a lot of flames on the EQ forums about this =)

Be prepared to get trained doing this, people still get upset if they see someone AFK Exping the legit way.

Infected Paw has a sweet spot too, not so notorious as The Hole ofc but very affective and nice loot (considering you are behind your comp every 30 min or so).

Warning: If someone reports you to a GM he will send you a tell then port you to POK and you get a 3 day ban for this now, I did it with 3x90s in Grounds and they are now waiting the 3 days. No Kiss running, just exactly as OP said, Let the mercs do all the work but a GM says you cannot gain exp while afk or they will come get you! But ONLY if another player reports it.......

I have been doing this kind of thing for years, did it in dragonscale hills at beetle camp and spider camp (zeka/beza drop spot) and in plane of disease. id use 2-3 pet classes, 2 tank mercs (aggressive) and 1 cleric merc (did it mostly before dps mercs). YES I did at times get trained (on purpose) or push would separate the group too much and charaters would die.. but was a great way to PL (back when shrouds gave real xp). I pop em up and go to bed....loot what bodies where lying around when I came back :ripperjack:

same before days of my use of mq I used to set up in loping planes and basically my mage would kill all day long eventually I had folks who would hang with my mage just to loot the corpses I didn't care because I was getting exp and they kinda guarded him :)

that gm is mistaken and I would fight it
I was told if a GM sends you a tell and you do not respond he will give you the 3 day ban, I replied there is nothing in the EULA that REQUIRES me to answer anyone's tells and there was no way I could tell if it was an actual GM or not as he had a regular toon name with no color changes. Too bad they said and 1 more day till I get my baby team back...

I have done this off and on as well, ever since merc's came out. Treat it like you would any afk ing, Stay away from Hot Zones, and High Traffic Areas. Before RG, I had little areas in different zones, I could afk grind toons up to level 80 if needed. But if you are truelly afk it is costly, paying for 3 mercs and not making any money till you finally show up to loot. Lets not for get the crappy skills to boot , least RG has a Mac for that , which is so nice LOL. Even in tucked away area's I got Visitors every once in awhile, most likely they were using a RG type program and saw all the bodys so came to check it out, maybe even loot /shrug. Rarely ever got trained, because I was so far off the path, and I never camped spots needed for any kind of quest (like the FARM, I hate when people afk there). Just Hunt around when you are ON, look and see who comes around if anyone, find out what they are looking for, so you know what to avoid. Try your Afk spot (be it Merc or RG) while you have time to sit and read a book and keep an eye on it, till you find a spot you like and feel safe :)

You could probably do this rather well in Arx in certain spots. The repop time is so fast... Just be sure it isn't a name you are camping. And not sure if a GM should be banning for this. I would ask them to show you where it specifically says that you can't do this.

70-85, Split Paw/Infected Paw whatever it is called these days tier 5 mercs make it cake the best location I found is the base of the ramps at the levered gate near the named earth elemental. Position 1 toon in the corner at the base of the ramp. One toon at the gate in the corner on the ramp side. and one toon outside the gate in the levered alcove. I like wizard mercs if they are tier 5x2 and a cleric who can be tier 1

90-100, Erudin Burning is the best zone not as crowded as the Grounds where you will get trained. The spot where the Skeleton Tunnelers are is the best if you are equipped to handle it at 90+. One toon in the corner near the named spawn (Maggotscalp) one on the ramp and one on the ledge where the golem spawns. this is a hard camp to keep but well worth the low 90 exp.

85-100, Erudin Burning there are three camps where the sappers spawn a (5) (5) and (6) man spawn (don't use the sapper spawn point on the boat). These are easily held until some self righteous ass hole comes by and trains you because he "thinks" you are cheating. I've talked to at lest four different GM's when I've been accused of cheating. The only thing I get grief over is not responding to tells. The GM's will move you if you abuse this and take more than one of these camps. The one behind the house (6) spawns is the best to use. Rangers like to use the other two for head shot. Yes even now.

All these spots are about 60AA a day (24 hour period) or 1-2% an hour at level 100. It is painfully slow and will eat through millions of plat over time. I've used it to take at least 12 characters to 100 now.

if you use KA disable it the GM's/griefers are looking for spell casting while you are not looting. Just use AFK and let the mercs do the work. Keep mounts up to prevent pushing that is probably the most important thing.

FWIW I used to do this using a Logitech macro keyboard to pull for me. Basically one or more characters were set to rotate for .2 seconds, pause, target nearest mob key, pause, cast low level nuke - rinse and repeat. It was actually quite effective. Can get one of their keyboards for probably 30 dollars and set this up. Likely is more "illegal" than just afk exping, but what are we, mice or men!

I have been doing this same thing for years now. The trick is to do it in out of the way zones so you don't piss off a bunch of people. If you set up in a popular zone I can guarantee you that you will be trained or reported by some butthurts.

i like deadhill's for afk exping no kos mobs and the mobs pop instant. not super good on exp but loot is good, have a bard with dd song going to pull

Just so you know if they find someone parked on a mob spawn with mercs and no other third party software, they still ban for afk killing

Yeah I tried it a year or two ago and came back to the characters all booted, I assume by a GM. Maybe even booted 1 or 2 and let the rest of the group die. This was actually one of the reasons I stopped playing and now I play on my own server. I love to play for an hour or so, fight my way to some useful named and then setup camp there for a few days. I go afk to do some work or whatever and it is nice to have my characters farming something in the background. I kinda did this for 10+ years in EQ when I used to solo so I could get away with it. Now I like to do it with a group or a whole raid, I can sit them all at a raid boss and farm items for a week and not get in trouble :) Limited to OOW expansion but I missed a lot of earlier expansions so it is fun for me!

Guide - Legit AFK-Exping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back