• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Laptop ping (1 Viewer)

RedCents
75¢
I recently bought a new laptop and naturally I installed Eq on it. When I log onto Eq, it’s fast and stable it seems to have no issues. Within 2-3 minutes of being on though, my ping is slowly creeping up, sometimes peaking around 4000, I can’t even cross a zone without being warped half way back.

I did a full restore of the laptop since I didn’t have much on it and deleted Norton, I disabled my firewalls, basically as a test I let nothing run besides the fresh install of Eq and sure enough it was ok for 2-3 minutes then boom, ping is back at 2300ish.

I’ve googled my problem and found similar issues but never a solution. I also tried plugging it directly into the i router and I’m getting the same results. When I test my internet connection, both upload and download speeds come back as very fast. I’m fairly confident there is something on the laptop throttling it.

I’m hoping one of you awesome folks can steer me in the right direction ! Thank you.

If you open up your windows task manager, and under the processes tab, are you seeing any one program ramp up and utilizing high CPU % , memory, or disk? or if something is using up your network capacity...

Might give you a head start to see what is possibly causing your issue.. help to isolate it hopefully..

Use the ac not wifi and see how it does. Maybe set Power Options to High Performance.

Kinda old but might spawn other ideas - if your running win 10 and laptop that is

Also just turn on these two under advanced options
Allow hw Vertex Shaders
Allow 2.0 Pixel Shaders

and see how it responds then you can turn on the other options and test

I haven't had a chance to test anything until today. I logged on with plans to test some of these changes, and it's working fine now, after changing absolutely nothing. Wish I could give more details for anyone else with this problem, but it fixed itself. Thank you guys for the suggestions !

yeah that is very possible, seeming like that is all it was.

Hope that was the ticket! I have a relative whose laptop did something similar very recently.. decided to stop allowing a bunch of network based services from doing their thing, and turns out it was just some drawn out windows updates that needed to be manually done in order to get them to pass through, followed by a logoff/reboot.. then all good again..

I think it was lagging cuz updates were running in the background. New setups should normally already be able to download updates. Maybe the preinstalleds? was this a preinstalled or new (do it all yourself)?

Hope that was the ticket! I have a relative whose laptop did something similar very recently.. decided to stop allowing a bunch of network based services from doing their thing, and turns out it was just some drawn out windows updates that needed to be manually done in order to get them to pass through, followed by a logoff/reboot.. then all good again..
Wow, that's what mine did - had to do it manually but next update all was good

Tech - Laptop ping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back