• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Kissassist vs Very Vanilla (1 Viewer)

Subaru78

RedCents
10¢
Hello RedGuiders,
I have been a redguide member for a little while now, but am no longer a level 2. I recently started back up and have been grouping with a friend who started using MQ2 and I'm curious as to what the main difference is between Very Vanilla and Kissassist? Any and all help would be useful, thanks!

I dont know alot about it as i am new to and i'm the one you been playing with on EQ but the kissassist is built in to the vv just a matter of getting a ini file for your char to what you need it to do is what i been trying to do but there is a ton i dont know either so welcome back aboard lol

@Subaru78
Lets see....
I recently started back up and have been grouping with a friend who started using MQ2 and I'm curious as to what the main difference is between Very Vanilla and Kissassist? Any and all help would be useful, thanks!

Okay, straight forward to explain.
  • Everquest is a game, from Sony now being handled by Daybreak.
  • MQ2 is a 3rd party, open source, unapproved (not endorsed by Daybreak) program that adds "quality of life" features to EQ and a further platform for plugins and macros.
  • Very Vanilla is a specific compile of MQ2, built and published by RedGuides.
  • KissAssist, is a combat routine macro for Very Vanilla MQ2, that can control the actions of a character (e.g. buff, fight, heal, mez etc. ).

There are a many macros written and available to use. However you can only have one macro running at a time. To use a different macro, need to stop the first, and start the next.
Likewise there are many plugins availale to use as well. These are ran concurrently, and kind of sit dormant waiting to do something specific. MQ2Melee, MQ2Nav, MQ2AutoLoot, MQ2EasyFind, are a few examples. There are also combat routines in plugins, released by ChatWithThisName, e.g. MQ2Cleric. That would be used as an alternative to KissAssist.

Other than their run time use, there is more difference between Macro and Plugins.
  • Macro are clear text script files, you can open, read, amend, with notepads. The scripting language takes a bit of getting used to but not that bad.
  • Plugins on the other hand, are compiled code and not available to read to see what or how they do things, just to have installed and used.
Both macro and plugins are written and published to the RedGuides site, and available to download. A lot of content will only work with the VV build of MQ2.

Last thing to mention. VV build of MQ2, ensures there are not cheats or hacks, in which other builds perhaps could have these. VV is about giving a degree of automation. Helping make a boxed character interact like a merc, but with greater utility. A skill of somewhere between a merc and an attentive player driving that character.

Regards and Best Wishes

@Subaru78
Lets see....

• MQ2 is a 3rd party, open source, unapproved (not endorsed by Daybreak) program that adds "quality of life" features to EQ and a further platform for plugins and macros.
  • KissAssist, is a combat routine macro for Very Vanilla MQ2, that can control the actions of a character (e.g. buff, fight, heal, mez etc. ).

There are a many macros written and available to use. However you can only have one macro running at a time. To use a different macro, need to stop the first, and start the next.
Likewise there are many plugins availale to use as well. These are ran concurrently, and kind of sit dormant waiting to do something specific. MQ2Melee, MQ2Nav, MQ2AutoLoot, MQ2EasyFind, are a few examples. There are also combat routines in plugins, released by ChatWithThisName, e.g. MQ2Cleric. That would be used as an alternative to KissAssist.

Other than their run time use, there is more difference between Macro and Plugins.
  • Macro are clear text script files, you can open, read, amend, with notepads. The scripting language takes a bit of getting used to but not that bad.
  • Plugins on the other hand, are compiled code and not available to read to see what or how they do things, just to have installed and used.
Both macro and plugins are written and published to the RedGuides site, and available to download. A lot of content will only work with the VV build of MQ2.

Last thing to mention. VV build of MQ2, ensures there are not cheats or hacks, in which other builds perhaps could have these. VV is about giving a degree of automation. Helping make a boxed character interact like a merc, but with greater utility. A skill of somewhere between a merc and an attentive player driving that character.

Regards and Best Wishes
Nice one!

Hello RedGuiders,
I have been a redguide member for a little while now, but am no longer a level 2. I recently started back up and have been grouping with a friend who started using MQ2 and I'm curious as to what the main difference is between Very Vanilla and Kissassist? Any and all help would be useful, thanks!
Could it be mq2melee he is referring to Very Vanilla? Nothing else I can think of

@Subaru78
Lets see....

Regards and Best Wishes
Thank you very much for the break down, I appreciate it.

Question - Kissassist vs Very Vanilla

Users who are viewing this thread

Back