• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

INI file settings and Lag (1 Viewer)

Warrene

RedCents
20¢
I experience alot of lag on my connection to EQ. Max bandwidth is plenty high (playing from work *blush*), but demand spikes throughout the day. Result: I go linkdead...alot.

I thought I recalled a setting that could be added or adjusted in the INI file that would allow you to slightly adjust the tolerance for lag (ie. persist the server connection over longer gaps).

I've searched high and low but can't come up with anything concrete. Looked through the INI file but none of the entries jumped out at me. Anyone have a suggestion? Is this a wild goose chase?

From what I've seen, lag is usually caused by a single computer on the network that has spyware and may be downloading ads to popup.

What's your best and worst ping #s? Also, try doing a /tracert to the soe servers when things are running well and then again when it's crashing. That'll show if something changed outside your network.

Also, verify you have internet access when you see you're LDing. I've seen several cheap or older routers that can temporairily disconnect and you'll then LD AND your internet will be down. If the internet still works perfectly ON YOUR COMPUTER, it's probably external. If your computer's internet isn't responding well but another computer is working perfectly, it's your computer or the cable to it.

It is possible the cabling isn't crimped well - 1 or the 8 pins could be barely making contact. If this is an option, try using a machine made cable straight from your computer to the switch/hub/router.

If your internet's not working well, try to log into the router from your computer - for a business, you may need to get the network admin person to do this. If you can't log into the router, and you have the physical ability to log into it, your computer or your wire is the problem.

Simple enough? ;p

Lots of things can cause this problem so more specific info would help. See if you can provide any further info from this and I can diagnose it further. Keep in mind, people do say things like: "my computer acts up every time I use it. what's wrong with it?" Being as specific as possible is what makes it possible to do the diagnostics without actually having it to work on myself.

the file you are looking to change is your Datarate.txt in your EQ folder.

The standard default is 8.0 lower it to 3.0 if you are on dial up.
This restricts your data rate, thus making less chance to drop or lose a packet.

Do enjoy and remember.....

Dirty likes redcents too.

dirtynumbangel said:
the file you are looking to change is your Datarate.txt in your EQ folder.

The standard default is 8.0 lower it to 3.0 if you are on dial up.
This restricts your data rate, thus making less chance to drop or lose a packet.

Do enjoy and remember.....

Dirty likes redcents too.

Datarate was set to 9.0 on the problem child system. Set it back to 8.0 and will see what happens. Will also pursue gathering the other data recommended by other posts.

Thanks to all for your comments.

From the tech support boards

Datarate.txt is not used anymore. There is no equivolent setting in the new network layer that we are using. It has better dynamic flow control and thus does automatic adjusting of what used to be set by the datarate.txt option.

- Rowyl

If you have a fresh install that file doesn't even show up anymore. Least didn't last time I reinstalled eq.

INI file settings and Lag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back