• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Increased Ram Usage? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,105¢
Has anyone noticed an increased in RAM usage? Back in TOL I was using 1gig per client at most. Now just coming back recently, that number jumped to almost 2 gigs per client just sitting around in the new zones. I havent modify any eqsettings since I came back and background limiter is running properly.

Another issue is that memory leaks on EQ are still around.

If you zone a lot, you will see increased memory usage over time.

Conversely sometimes just being in a single zone for a long time increases RAM.

I've had characters with 12GB memory usage when rest are at 1-2GB.

That new UI is a hog, really scared what is going to happen once everything is converted and we are forced to use it in 5 years time.

My current usage, guess which instances is not using the optimized EQ directory (you get 3 tries and the first 2 don't count). New UI is off on all of them
1705249513087.png

Has anyone noticed an increased in RAM usage? Back in TOL I was using 1gig per client at most. Now just coming back recently, that number jumped to almost 2 gigs per client just sitting around in the new zones. I havent modify any eqsettings since I came back and background limiter is running properly.
That last time I saw this was when a suspension wave was ongoing. Not sure if it was related or not.

I saw this thread and turned off the new UI and rebooted the computer, started everything back on, one guy at a time and I still am at high usage. I am playing in Laurions zones..is that it? One is sitting in an old world zone doing nothing..still seems high. Sad. Used to start around 1.4 and work its way down to 300-400.
1705328421728.png

I've recently noticed similar jump in memory usage. The below screencap is all using CWTN plugins and the two highest users are my BST and Enc. Has me wishing 128gb of DDR5 across 4 physical channels wasn't so difficult with the AM5 memory controller for when I'm actually working in the background...

Edit: Should have added, spell effects turned off for everyone but driver as well as framelimiter.
1705337369789.png

Wanted to post some 'good'' news. I left LS zones to go finish a quest in NoS, and its been like 2 days (I was not paying attention to WHEN this happened) and I just looked and saw a memory usage that less. It went down from my initial post above.. Things that changed were no character in LS zone from the pic below, added a lot more guys online as I was looking for some items (ugh). Also, I was playing around and turned on bloom and shadows. This is full graphics, armor and spells on. Wondering to hear if you guys get anything like this. I do not normally play with so many guys on, nor with all the graphics.. was weird to see.
1706111672001.png

Wanted to post some 'good'' news. I left LS zones to go finish a quest in NoS, and its been like 2 days (I was not paying attention to WHEN this happened) and I just looked and saw a memory usage that less. It went down from my initial post above.. Things that changed were no character in LS zone from the pic below, added a lot more guys online as I was looking for some items (ugh). Also, I was playing around and turned on bloom and shadows. This is full graphics, armor and spells on. Wondering to hear if you guys get anything like this. I do not normally play with so many guys on, nor with all the graphics.. was weird to see.
View attachment 56521
The fact you have more eq windows open then I do total windows on my machine is insane.

@Mikey02 I should probably know this...but I don't...how do i turn on stick figures...been meaning to look into it for a while, can probably double my count per box with that

yes..since last week's patch. framelimiter keeps cpu usage low, but ram has been up since patch. used to be able to run 12 accounts pre-patch...now i can only run 6 comfortably. unsure if this is related, but i also used to be able to leave all accounts online without crashing...now if i leave vendor online (without offline mode), account would crash within a few hours.

Lot of tricks out there for lowering your ram usage. This is 39 instances, says 40 as one is the task manager. After you get all your toons in one zone you can flush the memory of unused items eating up the memory to get these results. I can assure it's not photo shopped.Untitled.jpg

I haven't fully tested this yet, but it looks like I'll be able to load a group, leave them in the background, flush the memory to load another group. 8 GB of ram fills up fast, so I'll need to flush after a group loads or zones. Also, pretty useful for my buff classes that'll be mostly idle until needed. :-)

I haven't fully tested this yet, but it looks like I'll be able to load a group, leave them in the background, flush the memory to load another group. 8 GB of ram fills up fast, so I'll need to flush after a group loads or zones. Also, pretty useful for my buff classes that'll be mostly idle until needed. :-)
How do you flush the memory…? Sorry if dumb question.

Lot of tricks out there for lowering your ram usage. This is 39 instances, says 40 as one is the task manager. After you get all your toons in one zone you can flush the memory of unused items eating up the memory to get these results. I can assure it's not photo shopped.View attachment 56609
@Cannonballdex , How do you flush the memory? I remember having this type number a very long time ago, using stick figures and no graphics and stuff etc, but I would love to save memory when I am just farming in an old zone or having someone sit in guild hall.

Last edited:
This is the lowest I can get my clients. I only have 8g of ram tho, only 1/2 slots used. $20 and I could run more clients 🤷‍♂️ I also have everything turned off if it can be turned off.

Attachments

• IMG_4948.jpeg
    IMG_4948.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 0
Each setup is going to be different. Windows 10 / 11 , what programs you have on your computer, startup programs running, using the bare settings in eq itself. The ideal setup is having the least amount resources being used when running eq. Typical when a toon loads up there over roughly 1200 mb is loaded into memory and less than 200 mb are actually used. There are lots of guides online for optimizing and flushing memory based on your setup.

Question - Increased Ram Usage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back