• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Important: MMORPG veterans hate WoW (1 Viewer)

It's not worth getting wound up over

Who's wound up? It's a way to pass the time. And quite frankly, I'll take a pack of people who discuss MMOs all day over water cooler chatter about what a bitch that one chick on The Hills was being in last week's episode.

People talk about what interests them, and especially for gamers or the technologically inclined, forums are more and more their "watercooler" so to speak. I'm just bullshittin with people, not gettin wound up, regardless of how long my posts are or how many words I use all caps on. I just use CAPS for emphasis on a word cause I'm too lazy to mess with italics.

I completely disagree with you here. Games that already had a plan in mind to be different than WoW have gone out of their way even though they were a good ways into their development cycle to make their game more WoWlike. If you doubt this play some Vanguard. Count all of the features that remind you heavily of WoW. Then think about the fact that the majority of these weren't in the game or planned pre-beta3. Unfortunately I don't believe you can go back and read all of the old posts from beta where people were bitching about these changes like mad. If people are doing this to a nearly released game what do you think is happening with games that are already in pre-production? Do you think the companies funding these games are going to be easily inclined to drop 10s of millions of dollars on something risky when they already have a tried and true business model laid out in front of them? Do you maybe think they would have been more inclined to make something different if WoW hadn't already proved "what people want" ? *shrug*

But that's not really disproving my point. So WoW is the most popular MMORPG in the world ATM, & you're claiming that the developers are incorporating many of characteristics from WoW that you dislike because of WoW's success. How can you say then that if--let's say hypothetically--Guild Wars was instead the breakaway MMORPG success, Vanguard would not be adapting characteristics from Guild Wars that you don't like?

It sounds like your problem isn't really with WoW, it's that the active consumer base does not agree with (or at least, respond to) the game elements that you seem to be requesting.

Who's wound up? It's a way to pass the time. And quite frankly, I'll take a pack of people who discuss MMOs all day over water cooler chatter about what a bitch that one chick on The Hills was being in last week's episode.

People talk about what interests them, and especially for gamers or the technologically inclined, forums are more and more their "watercooler" so to speak. I'm just bullshittin with people, not gettin wound up, regardless of how long my posts are or how many words I use all caps on. I just use CAPS for emphasis on a word cause I'm too lazy to mess with italics.

Best post ever. Agreed though. In a forum such as this, red text and caps do not equal "HEY I AM YELLING AT YOU LISTEN TO ME."

They just me "Hey, I'm trying to emphaise this point."

It sounds like your problem isn't really with WoW, it's that the active consumer base does not agree with (or at least, respond to) the game elements that you seem to be requesting.

Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner!

On another related note...

mven, Khatib, and others...

Do you think that offline games like Oblivion and other RPGs are lame because they have no death penalty and is never really difficult?

mven, Khatib, and others...

Do you think that offline games like Oblivion and other RPGs are lame because they have no death penalty and is never really difficult?

:yea:
and...you can save/load in those offline games!!! I want a save-button in WoW :doh:

This is to mven, he quoted me so i'm compelled to reply:
Uh, i'm a bit out of my league here, but weren't 2 of the top players of EQ senior designers of WoW ? Uh, Foror and Garfunkel or something... can't remember now. It's evolution, mven. People play a game, they love it, then some other people make another game based on the 1st generation reactions. They hated the death penalty ? They remove it. So on and so forth. I know what you want, you want a challenging game, something hard, slow progression, old school with new clothes... it's just that you can't influence a developer team to do the things the way you want to. It's not WoW. WoW is a good game. It's just that the masses bring the profit, so they dictate the new generation of products. You like vanilla ice cream, but the rest of the world loves chocolate ice cream, don't expect the market to be flooded with vanilla ice cream, you know what i mean ? And the future ice cream won't be a derivate of vanilla, but of chocolate.

I get what you mean man, as i was reading the articles about EVE or fansy the bard, made me feel a bit sorry that WoW doesn't have that hardcore side, a side where you could reach the point of no return. In WoW, what's the worst thing that you could do ? Disenchant your epaxxx ? You could get them back in a couple of months. Then again, if this "point of no return" would be that hardcore and it would happen to you, you might find it gamebreaking and quit the game entirely. From a marketing point of view, it's better to have no "beyond redemption" aspects. There would be more people that would quit the game because that stuff is there, than people quitting because it isn't... does this make any sense ? Like, for example, in TBC there are 2 factions with different rewards, the Aldor and the Scryers, if you build rep with one of them you will automatically lose rep with the other...... but there's a catch, you can do quests to go back to "neutral" with the "hostile" faction, so even if it would take you twice the time, you can switch factions. Imagine there wouldn't be such an option, that you would choose a faction and discover you hate it... and you can't go back. You'd be pretty pissed, amirite ?

What Blizzard, and any publisher wants, is a game to keep the customers happy. Everything, every game, every chunk of meat is sold for one purpose: profit. EQ wasn't made because a guy would think "it would be cool if this game existed". Nor WoW. And those challenging games simply aren't profitable anymore, or rather, these "casual" type of games are much more profitable. Nonetheless, i'm sure there's still some "hardcore" mmos out there, and i'm sure there are people that play them. It doesn't mean that particular group of people represent the whole gaming community, just because they are old and wise and know the DnD rules. It's what the masses want, and for better or worse, i'm among that mass. I like WoW. Anyone would like it if they'd play it as they'd play WoW, not EQ.

To give you an example, I loved Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Then HoMM4 came up and i was so disappointed as it didn't live up to its predecessor. Then I played HoMM4 without thinking of the old mechanics of HoMM3, and i quite enjoyed it. HoMM4 would be a good game if its name wouldn't be HoMM4, you know what i mean ? Don't play WoW as a hardcore mmorpg, but as a "softcore" mmorpg and you might enjoy it quite a lot. What i'm saying is, don't compare. Take the thing for what it is.

Mordiceius said:
naw mven, it just seems that every post you make about MMOs are talking about how today's MMOs are the end of good gaming as we know it and oh woe is us. :-P

Let me fix that for you into what I have actually been saying. "I feel that today's MMOs are the end of good gaming as *I* know it." I will never be satisfied with a game that doesn't challenge me. I don't think this is something bad?!

mven is really a 90 yo man who hates everything new and only uses a computer because his boss refused to let him keep using an adding machine... or something like that, anyway I'm off to beer it up, it's Friday people! (4:08 PM here)

How did you find out?!?!

Lesson25 said:

How to put this... You are right however it's not so much that I have a problem with WoW or hate WoW or have anything really against WoW. It's that because of WoW the PERCEPTION is that the consumer would not respond well to a more challenging game. It's like thinking open PvP games are bad because shadowbane didn't do very well. You can't compare a game that runs like shit, looks like shit, has a clunky interface, and questionable stability with a game that runs so well it almost purrs like a kitten and then decide that the reason Shadowbane is less successful than WoW is because Shadowbane had open PvP. The fact that anyone played that steaming pile of shit should be testament to the fact that people WOULD play an open PvP game.

There are really no MMOs from the last 5 years that are coded anywhere near as well as WoW that offer more challenging game play. So no one (including myself) can say whether or not these games would be successful. My fear is simply that everyone will make assumptions based on games that are towards the end of their lifespan and thus condemn anything that might offer something more before it even gets off the ground. *shrug*

Mordiceius said:

When Oblivion came out I had a shitty PC so I wasn't sure it would run it. I ended up picking it up on the 360 but that style of combat with a game pad sucks ass so I lost interest pretty quick. Other games like that... Umm.. I did like Fallout 2 simply because of the multifaceted game play. You could be a total bastard and kill everyone you saw, you could be a slut and fuck your way through the game, you could be a talker and talk your way out of anything, you could sneak around and steal from people, etc etc. The save function did trivialize a lot of the game but it had other redeaming qualities *shrug*.

shadowstalker said:
Uh, i'm a bit out of my league here, but weren't 2 of the top players of EQ senior designers of WoW ? Uh, Foror and Garfunkel or something... can't remember now.

There were several blizzard employees who played on the same bluebie server I did in EQ. They were in a guild called "Legacy of Steel". Knowing these guys had a good deal to do with WoW doesn't surprise me at all. They were all fairly hardcore powergamers. What do powergamers typically do in MMOs? Haul ass to max level and then raid raid raid. What does WoW facilitate? Rushing to max level to raid. I would also say that this is reflected in the quality of the raid encounters in WoW. Raiders want cooler raid content and ph4tz and WoW offers them up. *shrug*

shadowstalker said:
What Blizzard, and any publisher wants, is a game to keep the customers happy. Everything, every game, every chunk of meat is sold for one purpose: profit. EQ wasn't made because a guy would think "it would be cool if this game existed". Nor WoW. And those challenging games simply aren't profitable anymore, or rather, these "casual" type of games are much more profitable.

And this is exactly what makes me sad about the whole thing. As long as the perception is that no one is interested in a challenging game difficulty will continue to deteriorate to the point where you can just have one of those drinking birds play for you with no loss real loss of productivity in game.

shadowstalker said:
Like, for example, in TBC there are 2 factions with different rewards, the Aldor and the Scryers, if you build rep with one of them you will automatically lose rep with the other...... but there's a catch, you can do quests to go back to "neutral" with the "hostile" faction, so even if it would take you twice the time, you can switch factions. Imagine there wouldn't be such an option, that you would choose a faction and discover you hate it... and you can't go back. You'd be pretty pissed, amirite ?

Actually this is not really something I disagree with entirely in WoW. I am all for allowing players to build up reputation with various factions and still have the ability through their actions to redeem themselves with the other faction. WoW's faction system isn't as complex as I would like and in a lot of cases the faction grind is dreadfully boring and tedious but I have nothing against people being able to switch allegiences in game *shrug*

It doesn't mean that particular group of people represent the whole gaming community, just because they are old and wise and know the DnD rules. It's what the masses want, and for better or worse, i'm among that mass. I like WoW. Anyone would like it if they'd play it as they'd play WoW, not EQ.

I have never claimed that I or my opinions represented the whole gaming community. I do know that there are quite a few people who feel the way I do but I know that compared to the masses we are in the minority. I am not sure what you mean by play WoW as if it's WoW and not EQ. Are you saying that WoW is a better game if you don't compare it to any other previous experience? If I had never played another game you're right I might like WoW better. I could say that of any game really.

The point is you don't go from playing Monopoly to playing Hungry Hungry Hippos and expect to feel as stimulated while playing. I mean both games are about gobbling up game pieces to win ya? Both games are fun ya? Were you to play one quite regularly though which one do you think would get boring faster? Having played Monopoly regularly for a good while do you think you could go to playing Hungry Hungry Hippos regularly and be as entertained? It's not like I can make myself forget having played games that offer a bit more challenge. *shrug*

Look at the people that pick PvE servers vs PvP servers in WoW. That's gotta count for something right? Sorta tells me what people want.

There are really no MMOs from the last 5 years that are coded anywhere near as well as WoW that offer more challenging game play. So no one (including myself) can say whether or not these games would be successful. My fear is simply that everyone will make assumptions based on games that are towards the end of their lifespan and thus condemn anything that might offer something more before it even gets off the ground. *shrug*

Are you implying that EVE Online & Lineage 2 weren't well coded, or that they didn't offer challenging game play?

Disclaimer #1: I've never played either of those games; I am just going off what I read & I interpretted those two games to be the most difficult in turns of PvP penalties.

Disclaimer #2: Mven I know you said before that you didn't like L2 but you didn't really elaborate whether it was because of the game mechanics or the physical implementation or what; although really that's irrelevant to my question.

Well, depending on how often you want to save in Oblivion, your death penalty could often be 15+ minutes lost, as opposed to just a 30 second run to where you died an a paltry repair fee.

Do you think that WoW sucks because even on *PVP servers* the devs felt the need to implement civilian NPCs that gave DKs? Whereas in a game like Oblivion you can kill ANY npc in the game which you are inclined to kill and able to kill? TOTAL FREEDOM, as opposed to a stupidly oppressive system where you can't attack the people you are at war with without taking a huge CP loss even when you win?? **Even on PvP servers** where it's supposed to be about conflict??

I mean seriously. THat was one of the lamest things they ever did.

Probably the biggest thing I dislike about WoW is the instances. You run around the world and barely see anyone these days, unless it's a major leveling bottleneck like the first 2 weeks of xpac release. That's not an MMO. That's some bastardized combo of an MMO and D2 on bnet. It's mini-minor-multiplayer accessed through a quasi-MMO interface.

The second biggest thing I dislike about WoW is that communication is 100% banned between factions. What is the point? If you say it's to promote the "feeling of war" then why are they implementing civilian DK npcs and leaving them in game for MONTHS?? If you say it's to prevent exploits, do you not realize how incredibly simple and common it is to use VIOP/Xfire/IRC/MSN/AIM/telephones to circumvent that? Leet was a fun alternative for a while, but then even that got cut out. Why? To further splinter a community that is already fragmented due to instances? Pointless.

Those are some of the major things I dislike about WoW. Do they *RUIN* the game? Not really. For me they kinda do, but I managed to work around it and play the game for about 2 and a quarter years regardless. About half that time has just been waiting around for something new and better to release though. I don't think you realize how many players in WoW's playerbase aren't really satisfied with the game, they're just waiting on something better. That's a big reason why WoW's numbers aren't neccessarily a testament to it's quality. Although strictly from a tech perspective, the quality is pretty damn high. But from the more abstract angles, it's just not the best game -- in my opinion.

Lesson25 said:
Are you implying that EVE Online & Lineage 2 weren't well coded, or that they didn't offer challenging game play?

EVE is pretty well coded, but a major part of EVE is that there is no level cap. There are somewhat diminishing returns as you gain more skills, because you can only use a certain number of skills in each ship you fly... but when you're starting that game behind the curve, you are stuck there, forever. You will NOT catch up with people who started playing 4 years ago when the game came out... EVER. If not for that, I'd probably play the game. Or if they opened a 2nd server with a fresh start, I'd start playing. But they won't do that because one of the coolest things about that game is that they only have ONE server and EVERYONE is on that one server. It's pretty sweet.

L2 is well coded, but it's an Asian game. I don't know how they do it, but man can those Asians grind. I think it might have something to do with how many play through cafes, and thus get direct social stimulation from outside the game environment, while in it at the same time. L2 has an awesome PvP system, but the level grinding is extremely bland and mind-numbing and incredibly time consuming.

When I say I want a more hardcore game, I don't mean totally from the standpoint of timesinks. Much of it I just want to be from the standpoint of set-backs when you fail. When failing costs you, skill or at least caution will pay off. In a game like WoW, time is ultimately the biggest factor. Which is funny, because most people think of WoW as the easy leveling, anti-timesink game. When in reality, time is not only the lowest common denominator in WoW, as in most MMOs, but really the ONLY denominator. Sure good players will get somewhere ahead of others, but mostly it's just a time issue. Even bad players will accumulate the gear to pass the gear checks and catch up. In a game I would consider better, that wouldn't really happen. Good players would be able to down some things that others quite simply can't, and it wouldn't be a matter of just smashing your head into the wall, since it doesn't hurt you, til you manage to knock it down.

mordiceius said:
Look at the people that pick PvE servers vs PvP servers in WoW. That's gotta count for something right? Sorta tells me what people want.

Actually I don't really know the numbers in WoW. I know at release there were several heavily populated PvP servers. I have always played on PvP servers in WoW and they all seemed fairly well populated. To be honest though it is not really much different playing on either style of server. PvP is pretty minimal even on a PvP server and I usually turn my character's PvP flag on at level one and just leave it on.

Lesson25 said:

Actually I misspoke there. I tend to forget about EvE. From what I understand it does offer challenging gameplay. It's just that the game is incredibly slow paced and imo boring. I have tried playing it several times and it doesn't really seem to offer much of a challenge low level. I typically get bored with it however as the game isn't very engaging. I know this is mostly because the action doesn't really start until you become a member of a corporation and engage in the PvP struggle. Unfortunately the game bores me before I get to that point.

Lineage 2 has the same problem IMO. The low end game play isn't even the tiniest bit challenging. It's just insanely tedious. This is probably the most boring game I have ever played. My understanding is that the game starts to get fun after you dump in about 6 months worth of grinding. To give you an example, my one attempt at playing Lineage 2... I was dual boxing so game play was even more engaging than if I were playing one character... The highest I managed was getting my 2 characters to 19.. I tried several times but I couldn't keep myself awake to finish out that level and hit 20... Keep in mind this is a level where you pick your first class and get all sorts of new abilities. It was so boring I couldn't make myself just grind it out. I was literally falling asleep at my keyboard.

My main point was simply the fact that people seem to make unfair comparisons between games and then use their success or failures to give weight to some argument involving the systems that game incorporated... For example: Shadowbane wasn't successful because it was open PvP, EvE isn't as successful because it is too hardcore and sci-fi, Lineage 2 is a good game and grinding is where it's at because it has millions of subs...

Shadowbane is a failure because the game is poorly designed, implemented, coded, etc. It looks and plays like shit. Therefore it is insanely unappealing. I can guarantee you more people didn't play Shadowbane because it's a shitty game than because it has open PvP.

EvE isn't massively successful because you basically "play a spaceship" rather than a character, it's core systems are more like playing TW2002 than an MMORPG, it's very slow paced starting out, and the game provides next to no direction. It doesn't mean you can't sell a sci-fi mmo or have player run systems.

Lineage2 has millions of subs because most of them are asian. I am not racist but the asian market is much more tolerant of a game that is a hardcore grindfest. It doesn't mean that just because your game has 10X the grind of OG EQ and panty flashes during cast animations that it will be successful.

There are many games out there that offer something worthwhile. Every system in every game isn't shit. I just don't think there is any game that pulls it all off. WoW pulls off the "everything is decent" aspect better than anyone else as I have said before. It is still missing a good deal however : (

Khatib said:
When I say I want a more hardcore game, I don't mean totally from the standpoint of timesinks. Much of it I just want to be from the standpoint of set-backs when you fail. When failing costs you, skill or at least caution will pay off. In a game like WoW, time is ultimately the biggest factor. Which is funny, because most people think of WoW as the easy leveling, anti-timesink game. When in reality, time is not only the lowest common denominator in WoW, as in most MMOs, but really the ONLY denominator. Sure good players will get somewhere ahead of others, but mostly it's just a time issue. Even bad players will accumulate the gear to pass the gear checks and catch up. In a game I would consider better, that wouldn't really happen. Good players would be able to down some things that others quite simply can't, and it wouldn't be a matter of just smashing your head into the wall, since it doesn't hurt you, til you manage to knock it down.

That is the thing. Everyone thinks WoW is so casual friendly. It isn't really. It has the exact same grind as EQ. Level up and raid raid raid. It's better disguised in WoW through quests and shortened to a vast degree but it's really the same damned thing. The only real difference is that failure in WoW is more easily forgiven and combat seems to be less challenging with a larger margin for error. *shrug*

Hardcore was not being able to find your way out of the starting town, or falling to your death within 20 feet of your initial spawn point.

Then once you DID find your way out into the world some wandering monster twice your level would come by and smarsh u senseless. If you did manage to level, your Spells would cost several times the cash you could reasonably expect to gather getting to that level -- assuming you could find the vendor, of course.

Having to run from Everfrost to Oasis as a goodie on Sullon Zeck to get my Blind spell was pretty hardcore.

I doubt that anyone will have the cohones to pull that sort of stuff again now that WoW has been so successful spoonfeeding people. Even Vanguard, which billed itself as the "hardcore gamers mmorpg" is but a pale, over-friendly shadow of early EQ1.

WoW put training weels, and a giant reflective retard helmet on MMORPGs, and it will be years (if ever) before anyone is willing to take them off again.

pms

I might be here to late, but...

You can say don't play WoW if you don't like it, but that's never been the issue. WoW is a wonderful single player game and is a good time sink. But neither make it a good MMO.

Sales also don't prove that WoW is a good MMO. I know plenty of people who play or played WoW and hate it. I played, and I hate it now. Most of my friends who still play it only use it as a time sink or a fancy chat room.

None of those features make it a good game. Many people will disagree with my point of view and that's fine. What worries me, and makes me vocal, is my fear that WoW will push away the challenge and adventure in MMO games. I worry that story and lore will just be a series of quick, mindless clicks on quest windows. I worry that PvE will remain instanced, and therefore a grind. I worry that community will be an afterthought due to instanced quests, massive advantages to soloing, and numerous busy, yet mindless, tasks (AV for example). I worry that the game will become more and more based around levels and gear rather than players and their interaction. And most of all, I worry that PvP will become more and more of an afterthought.

PvP is addressed in WoW, but it's a system that offers no satisfaction in the actual combat between players. The satisfaction comes from grinding and time wasting (in the form of gear). PvP, in my opinion, needs only one thing to work: Winning a battle (1 on 1 or massive) should feel like an acomplishment in of itself.

There are many more issues that come up with regards to WoW, but people have been slowly complaining more and more since EQ appeared and contested the world of MMOs that was no longer just occupied by UO (in force at least). What makes WoW different, and more alarming, is the numbers. Whether you think the genre was dying or not, WoW threatens to keep MMOs on the road it built for a long time. And if you love MMOs but dislike WoW, for any reason, it's definitely something to worry about (in one way or another).

The veteran gaming community will always hate a game that goes for the most money at the expense of challenge. But what game is different? Who wants to play a game that's a joke to play.

Sometimes you hate a game because it's too hard. Sometimes you hate a game because it's too easy. Sometimes you hate a game because it threatens to ruin a classic, or perfect, genre. Sometimes you hate it because it has the power to keep it from changing. It's all opinion, and all any powerless shmuck can do is try to voice it and hope someone hears.

I dig your point mven, and i actually do think you represent a part of the gaming community. That part is, like i said before, the old and wise and oldschool and hardcore bit. I admit there are a lot of things that annoy me in WoW. Take last Wednesday... my guild made a small 15-20 man raid and we went griefing some alliance towns. Our raid was supposed to end with killing a faction leader - we chose darnassus as our final objective. We raided southshore, refugee point, darkshire, menethil harbor and finally darnassus. And in every city, there were guards. New guards. Lots of guards. Lvl 65 guards. 5-min or less respawn time. I remember just before patch 2.0 when i cleared southshore all by myself. WTF blizzard, what's up with the carebearism !? .... Gone are those days. Yes, i'm pissed. I'm pissed about BGs killing world pvp. I'm pissed about the grinding in those BGs. I'm pissed blizzard sees BGs as PvP.

Still, i have choices. I can go gank around people or go to a pvp objective and fight there. I won a little 1vs2 in hellfire, against 2 warriors... i was so happy in my pants. I was satisfied. That's how it is in WoW, it's about the e-peen. No matter the epix or greens, if you can pwn that noob, you're the man. I remember once, i had a flame war on my realm's forum with a member of the alliance premade (back in the days where were no x-ream bgs). This guy was good, he was a rogue like me, but he was a twink, so i said he compensates for skill with those enchants... and so on and so forth. After several pages of flaming eachother we decided to have a duel, 2 out of 3. We met, my buddies behind me, him and his buddies behind him. He was outgearing me and he had a pvp spec - i still had my hybrid grind/utility Combat spec. I won 2 out of 3. I had my 15 mins of glory and i felt good. He later logged in on another account and congratulated me. We gained respect for eachother and we moved on. I'm sure there are moments like these that every wow player had. It's what makes this game good. Sure, instances are repetitive, sure there are a lot of retards that play this game, but admit it, you had your day in the sun. This game has some highlights. A "the first" history - first time you ninjaed something, first time when you wiped your raid, first time when you downed a raid boss, first time you soloed an instance boss, first time when you were outnumbered in pvp, but you still won, first time a lucky crit saved your life, first time you critted over x, etc etc.

There are still a lot of "first times" in WoW to do for me. Maybe you did it all and you got sick of it, maybe you're right and after 1 year i'll join you and say WoW is not a good game. But for now, i'm still having fun. My e-peen still grows an inch from time to time.

Look... what if there would be a genre called CMMORPG (casual mmo...) and another called HMMORPG (hardcore blah blah). And it would be like apples and oranges, no way to compare them, as one cannot compare the FPS genre with RTS. And say EQ and UO and god knows what else fit into HMMO category, but WoW (and from what i've seen LOTR Online) would fall into CMMO category. Would you like WoW more ? I dig that WoW changes the perspective of game producers, that future games will be easier. But also, WoW brought a lot of MMO customers. And not all of them are "casual" or "softcore'. Some of the new rpg-ers might be hardcore too. And sooner or later there will be a product to address them. The pool of mmorpg-ers has just increased, that can't be bad.

Another thing. Let's talk about the "hardcorism" of WoW. Don't base your opinions on death sentence only. WoW IS hardcore, if YOU are hardcore. If you wanna play 2 hours a day, WoW is okay. If you wanna play 6 hours a day WoW is okay again. The difference here is - or maybe it used to be - that a casual would lack skill, gear, relations and know-how. I've ran maraudon countless times to get my NR gear, i strongly believe i'm an expert regarding that instance. I know the bosses' behavior, i know the rare spawns and where they spawn, i know every drop and the drop rate, i know the patrols, their pattern, i know herbs and mining nodes. A casual player (i'm not saying i'm hardcore, but surely above casual) will never know those things, will never know the formulae for glancing blows or miss rate. I do, and that's what gives me an edge. I can down certain stuff that he couldn't. I can pwn some players that he couldn't. And of course, there's always a bigger fish. I can have my arse handed to me by other players. Everyone can have epix ? I dont' think so. I think you know as well as i do how hard is to control a raid, keep everyone in check and have everyone do his job right. And with TBC, the encounters are much more difficult. No more tank and spank. After you go into a heroic instance and eat an 8k cleave, you'll know what i'm talking about.

Maybe for you this is nothing, easy as pie; for me is still a challenge. See, before WoW i wasted some 6 months of my life playing a small korean game called MU. Let me tell you this, is VERY basic. It's a d2 clone without A LOT of stuff. WoW for me was like "OOooooooohhh.... shiny !!". I know you played other games and you think they were better. Think about something else for a moment, think about the peak of your experience, your emotion in a computer game. Mine was years ago when i played Sanitarium. Very, very few games after that were a match to the "feeling" sanitarium gave me. Look at the movies they make nowadays. And the music. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy. Remakes. Movies based on a book or story. Remakes of remakes. The making of the making of that remake of a remake. There are very few original ideas now. It's true in games too. They look better, they're flashier, but gawd, no game can compete with Sanitarium, still. That was the best game ever, imo. The real problem is not WoW. The real problem is programmers let themselves be influenced by WoW because they lack new ideas. And it's not their fault, it's the plague of our time. Blizzard always came up with new ideas, or greatly enhanced old ideas - dune was old and cool, but warcraft was the fucking golden goose. And others copied blizz over and over, but there were still some good games. So I say, don't worry. WoW can't do harm. Even if you don't see any hardcore oldschool mmo's now, i'm sure there will be some in the near future.

And a last thing, without irony or sarcasm, what do you consider a good game ? If WoW is bad, give me an example of what you think is a good game, and you like it.

First off I agree with you PvP in WoW leaves much to be desired. BGs are like playing a crappy FPS. It's fun in short bursts but really not something I see providing much more than the sort of amusement you find from a "mini-game" in a crpg. IMO instanced PvP does next to nothing to forward the sense of being "at war" with the other side. I want PvP to provide additional depth to a game not some idle way to amuse myself when I'm not busy farming ph4tz. World PvP in WoW typically amounts to someone jumping me while I am killing a mob. If I vanish off the mob and kill them they run back and do it again 10 seconds later. If they kill me I will probably do the same thing. This continues on forever until one or the other gets bored. Yay?

shadowstalker said:
A "the first" history - first time you ninjaed something, first time when you wiped your raid, first time when you downed a raid boss, first time you soloed an instance boss, first time when you were outnumbered in pvp, but you still won, first time a lucky crit saved your life, first time you critted over x, etc etc.

The problem is that in WoW not much of this was memorable to me. I remember being happy when my various guilds killed a new boss in whatever flavor of the month raid instance we were in. Not enough that I really remember the details or would say now "OMG that was awesome!" when talking about gaming shit w/ friends. Yet typically when I end up hanging out with friends I used to game with more regularly comments like "OMG that time in EQ when we trained..." or "Dude do you remember that fucking level 40 Champion in DAoC that..." or "OMG this time in SB this gd thief was..." and yet WoW never comes up. Not that we didn't play WoW as much if not more than any of these games. It's just that not much happens that is memorable. "Yay we killed boss XXX in XXX instance..." "Was it hard?" "No we just had these retards that kept killing the whole raid with their lag..." "Oh. Well congrats I guess?" "Bleh, didn't drop anything I wanted anyway..."

Did I mention I hate instancing? A lot? Moreso than just WoW I think instancing is the worst thing to happen to this genre. WoW choosing to adopt heavy instancing only makes it worse though due to its popularity. The first game I remember playing with heavy instancing was AO. Maybe I should boycott funcom for this? Oh wait they are making AoC the last bastion of hope for all of 2007s MMOs not sucking... Damnit.

shadowstalker said:
Another thing. Let's talk about the "hardcorism" of WoW. Don't base your opinions on death sentence only. WoW IS hardcore, if YOU are hardcore. If you wanna play 2 hours a day, WoW is okay. If you wanna play 6 hours a day WoW is okay again.

As for WoW being hardcore? Any game can be hardcore if you are measuring it by time investment. My rogue had something like 140 days played as of last december. That's pretty hardcore in terms of time investment. Nothing I did in WoW felt hardcore though. In EQ doing something crazy like chain pulling mobs that ass rape you felt hardcore because one fuckup and you were in for an extremely painful experience. It made it much more "exciting" to try something more challenging and succeed. In WoW? Oh noes I am out the 2 minutes it took me to run back! Sure sometimes it's annoying having to reclear something after a wipe... But compared to a several hour CR or losing hours worth of exp it's pretty damned insignificant. Shit the only thing painful about fucking up in WoW was having to listen to the raid leader rant on in Vent about people sucking ass. I guess that is more hardcore, in EQ they typically had to type it so it wasn't as loud~

shadowstalker said:
The difference here is - or maybe it used to be - that a casual would lack skill, gear, relations and know-how. I've ran maraudon countless times to get my NR gear, i strongly believe i'm an expert regarding that instance. I know the bosses' behavior, i know the rare spawns and where they spawn, i know every drop and the drop rate, i know the patrols, their pattern, i know herbs and mining nodes. A casual player (i'm not saying i'm hardcore, but surely above casual) will never know those things, will never know the formulae for glancing blows or miss rate

This is primarily because you don't really have to know how to play in WoW until you hit the level cap. I have never been so amazed in any game as I have been in WoW with people who have a max level character, some who have even had a large number of epics (this was back in the MC days, I know to be a retard in C'Thun+ epics you needed a good guild who could drag you along) who have no clue how to play... It disturbs me.

shadowstalker said:
See, before WoW i wasted some 6 months of my life playing a small korean game called MU. Let me tell you this, is VERY basic. It's a d2 clone without A LOT of stuff.

If all you played MMO wise before WoW is Korean games I can certainly understand your addiction. While in a few cases general combat in some Korean MMOs might be considered more challenging than WoW every single one I have played involves just chain killing the most boring and uninteresting shit ever to hit the game market. Had I played nothing but L2 before WoW I would probably be hailing it as the savior of gaming.

shadowstalker said:
And a last thing, without irony or sarcasm, what do you consider a good game ? If WoW is bad, give me an example of what you think is a good game, and you like it.

Games off the top of my head... I liked EQ better than WoW for example. There were plenty of things I didn't like about eq (long ass spawn camps, lots of boring grinding at times) but the fact that the game seemed to present more of a challenge made the shit I didn't like more tolerable. Other random non-MMO games... Fallout2 I think was one of the best RPGs I have played on the PC. Any game that lets you do drugs, be a pornstar, sleep with people for advancement, plant bombs on people and watch them explode, etc, all while still having the usual fun of blowing peoples arms off with shotguns... well that's just what I call good clean fun. I also really liked System Shock 2... Something about beating monkeys with a pipe wrench is happiness. On the console side of things I really liked Alundra back in the day. It's kinda like a Zelda style game but a bit more challenging with some puzzles that actually made you use your head a bit. *shrug* I know these games are pretty old but I really haven't spent too much time with single player games since switching to MMOs.

Aw man, Fallout 2 is great on so many levels. Beats a lot of modern rpgs by a longshot. I still look up news from time to time to see when Fallout 3 will be out. I always had a soft spot for apocalypse-type games. Damn, i haven't played a single-player game since i started toying with wow... but i'm not addicted, i swear :D !

I didn't play EQ and I think i might be too "softcore" for it. Yet, through the WoW experience I am compelled to give it a shot. WoW begins to suck major ass regarding PvP so i might be inclined to try something else. Suppose I didn't play wow, i wouldn't be interrested in games such as EQ. Even if WoW is boring and softcore, it may spawn the next generation of hardcore mmorpg-ers. Even if you're 100% right, WoW is still a good thing. If WoW converted a single FPS-er to the world of RPGs, then it was worth it :P. I mean, really, would you prefer to have a bunch of CS addicts in EQ3, or a bunch of ex-wow-ers ? It's more likely that people that played wow will play EQ3 rather than people that play FPSes. The more customers a hardcore mmorpg has, the more hardcore mmorpgs will be produced, you know ?

A lot of people are displeased with different aspects of WoW - class balance, pvp, the grind, etc, already many of them wait for warhammer to come out, so imo, if war is going to be balanced and well coded and will look good, i don't see why people wouldn't quit wow, even if war will be much more hardcore. So really, i see no harm done, except that WoW might spawn a lot of casual-friendly clones. But as there is no action without reaction, those clones will all feel the same, so some other company will produce a different game just to bring something new on the market, so they'll make a hardcore game... and there you have it :)

shadowstalker said:
I didn't play EQ and I think i might be too "softcore" for it. Yet, through the WoW experience I am compelled to give it a shot.

I would give it a run if they start up another progression server and you can get in while they are still on the original game. I think the game as it stands now is quite a bit different than it was back when I last played. *shrug*

shadowstalker said:
If WoW converted a single FPS-er to the world of RPGs, then it was worth it :P. I mean, really, would you prefer to have a bunch of CS addicts in EQ3, or a bunch of ex-wow-ers ?

I would rather have the CS guys than anyone who has ever played an MMORPG. They are less likely to whine until the game is made more like their previous addiction : P

shadowstalker said:
A lot of people are displeased with different aspects of WoW - class balance, pvp, the grind, etc, already many of them wait for warhammer to come out, so imo, if war is going to be balanced and well coded and will look good, i don't see why people wouldn't quit wow, even if war will be much more hardcore.

I don't really see Warhammer online being too too much different than WoW. They will change up the PvP side of things to fit more into their "RVR" style of PvP rather than the World PvP/BG setup in WoW. If they stick with what they did in DAoC, PvP will probably allow you to pick up extra abilities rather than extra gear. The PvE probably will not be as good as WoW's. Mythic used the whole "PvP as endgame" excuse for having shitty PvE for so long in DAoC I can see them doing this in Warhammer Online too.

The class balance thing is the same in every MMO I have played be it hardcore, ezmode, or some crazy asian combination of the two. Someone always has class envy or a bad pvp experience and runs crying to the forums. People usually only quit a game over this if their flavor of the month class gets nerfed. Even that tends to be pretty rare I think.

live-in-russia.jpg

P.S. I took a legit typing test today and I scored in at 92 wpm with 2 mistakes over a 5 minute test. First time I've ever actually checked it officially, didn't think it would be *that* high. So yeah... when I type huge ass posts... no I'm not spending tons of time on em :P

Important: MMORPG veterans hate WoW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back