• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Ideal Group (1 Viewer)

laboule

RedCents
Was thinking about the best group you could have right now for farming. I came up with two solutions.

Solution 1 - Melee group

Warrior
Monk
Rogue
Bard
Ranger
Shaman

synergy of melee buffs, strong dps, good puller, ideal tank, probably weaker heals

Solution 2 - Caster group

mage - earth pet
mage - air pet
mage - air pet
wizard
bard
enchanter

large burst of damage when necessary, bard spell damage songs mana song + clarity, 4 pets, cc, slows

Post your ideal group/comment.

i havent played the game in a long time, but i figure this would probably rock:

Rogue
Rogue
Rogue
Rogue
Monk (or some other high DPS tank(ish) class)
Shaman

lol

I played this combination in my days. This is just a basic layout, but these are the classes I had utilized.

Tank (Preferably a warrior before Planes of Power, as Shadowknights don't take off until PoP w/ AC/DPS and GoD for AE Taunt iirc)
Cleric
Enchanter (or DPS, if you are good with bard.)
Bard
Monk
Wizard

I have used a Paladin, but my SK as tank was by far my favorite and that was during GoD/OOW era. I used a warrior with 2.0 and I don't think the warrior has as much aggro draw as the SK did for grouping.

I used the wizard but ditched her upon release of OOW and picked up a ranger that didn't last long until I got a rogue. The bard really picked up DPS during GoD and it was outrageous during OOW(Plus PoP Fading Memories). The monk is fundamentally sound in my opinion, high DPS, FD to dump aggro, and mend just incase.

Can't beat a cleric in heals really.

If you're feeling pretty good with the bard pulling and mezzing, then skip the enchanter and go straight for the throat and just pure DPS w/ bard being your utility class. You could either pick up another rogue, monk, or even wait for Luclin which should be coming out soon and do a Beastlord for the permanent slow, half-assed dps with a good pet.

I think the basic group layout is above, play around with the DPS though.

My group (which I felt was pretty fucking awesome):

SK
Cleric
Zerker
Ranger
Bard
Shaman

The shaman was probably a little redundant, and I could have swapped in a rogue or monk instead, but I liked the slow and the other buffs the shaman added (not to mention dps via dots and such). With cleric buffs and heals I never really needed another healer tanking in end-game HoT stuff.

Everything is solid in your group Sum1, the only stipulation would be that the Zerker isn't available on Progression servers yet, so he would have to swap that out.

Depending on who of my friends are available at the time...

ME: Ranger (Higher End, 5k+ AAs, T4 Group, some raid drops)
MERC: Cleric Merc for Healage
ME: Enchanter (2.5k AAs, T4 Group mostly)
MERC: Caster DPS Merc (for DPS)
FRIEND1: Wizard
MERC: Cleric Merc (if needed)
FRIEND2: Necro
MERC: Cleric Merc (if needed)
FRIEND3: Bard

My Ranger is actually pretty awesome. You cant tank T4 HOT Named with a half-assed ranger though but then it's also hard to tank with a half-assed SK too. Also you need to have some DPS behind you so you dont have to tank it without AAs/Discs running for very long. Everyone in the group outside of the Cleric Merc is DPS so things die fast. When the Necro is present with RB everyone also becomes a healer by nuking/doting so Ranger spamming summer's storm is almost able to keep themselves up (while keeping agro off the other DPS). In my group setup it's actually somewhat detremental to have a rogue, monk, zerker or warrior because they dont sling spells to set off RB :)

If you're setting up for farming on progression servers I'd just suggest 6 SKs ;) nothing is gonna survive 6 HTs.

my ideal group:

me and my two female friends. damn, it's allways so fun and efficient!

Weighing that you actually have two friends that are girls.

HT groups were nerfed on Progression, Sony implemented recast timers on the mob, where another can't hit for x amount of time. Mage groups die out in my opinion in Luclin, and their DPS is nothing compared to a Wizard.

Weighing that you actually have two friends that are girls.

HT groups were nerfed on Progression, Sony implemented recast timers on the mob, where another can't hit for x amount of time. Mage groups die out in my opinion in Luclin, and their DPS is nothing compared to a Wizard.

not all who are playing EQ are nolife nerds ;)

What I used to run was:
Warrior
Bard (the only character I "played" the rest were macro'd)
Shaman
Cleric
Mage
Ranger

I was pondering for a while of trading out the warrior for an SK, which I would have done if I stayed in.
Ranger would have been traded out for the Berserker. I think I would have kept everything else the same. Yes, I know, bards don't do that much dps, but they're the only class I actually had fun playing. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I would think sk-shm-brd-rng-ber-rog (or 2nd ber?) but holy fuck that's a lot of alt-tabbing and hotkey mashing. Would need to be a pro with kiss and any other required macs.

not all who are playing EQ are nolife nerds ;)

Don't lie Meeskino.

Siddin, don't lie! The bard was decent DPS during and after Omens of War. Honestly, in EQ it is the only class worth playing, it was so intricate in the way you played it, it was actually fun, albeit challenging to some.

I think laboule was looking for the best setup for Progression servers, so classes that aren't available in SoV won't help him much. Unless the Magician really takes off after Omens, I don't really find them a viable class in DPS in a group(post Kunark/SoV), I would rather have a Beastlord(post SoV) or any other DPS class.

Don't lie Meeskino.

I quit the progression server for a real life, I realized when I was turned down from Echoes of Elysium that I needed to take a step back and find my social life I had lost in the past 8 months of TLP.

People who play EQ, don't know what a real life is. I've been there, experienced 7 years of hardcore raiding. Insidious Blood, Endorean, Five Rings, and Tide. You tell me where my life was. I applied to Cestus Dei, then I quit in '07 realizing I was addicted. 7 years to realize an addiction. It's a fact that 4 percent of people think that they have drinking problems and in reality 31 percent of people meet the criteria for drinking problems. I'll let you do the math, I was addicted and I had finally realized it.

Marbury, I was in Tide. 2002-2006 I think

my FRO guild Core Of Legends was hosting my blog back in 2001-2003 or so. Was no blogging then, just posts. I was lot younger then and had lots of fun experimenting periodic table. too bad the website was taken down. would be fun to read, because most of the time when posting there I was kind of out of myself and dont really remember :)

Siddin, don't lie! The bard was decent DPS during and after Omens of War. Honestly, in EQ it is the only class worth playing, it was so intricate in the way you played it, it was actually fun, albeit challenging to some.

Shush you! Yeah, I know they do decent dps, especially with the proc songs :) but, it was all about the challenge of pulling that 1 mob out of a group of 5 or 6 that I had the most fun with. not to mention using a bard to mez adds is a challenge all in itself.

A bard is more than just a jack of all trades though isn't he? He is the only class that allows you to break haste cap (125% haste with the v3 haste).

I could not play EQ with out my bard on the live servers. The haste cap can be broken with a few item buffs as well but for the entire group a bard is the only real option.

A bard is more than just a jack of all trades though isn't he? He is the only class that allows you to break haste cap (125% haste with the v3 haste).

There are clickies now that let you break the cap up to like 16 or 18%... if you do the math that's most of the way to a bard's 25%.

The only thing that was even a little frustrating about the bard was if your guild was the type that got gigantic boners over huge dps numbers and not much else. I'd actually raid on two toons (not usually at the same time) so that I could play a bard and still get the epeen fix with my zerker or ranger.

Ranger's Group Guardian gives 20% overhaste not as good as bard (25% or 30% depending) but close enough.

Yes Bards actually get 30% overhaste if they use their level 70 Aura :) ofcourse the DPS on 25% overhaste + L90 Aura with flurry chance improvement is better.

Ranger's Group Guardian gives 20% overhaste not as good as bard (25% or 30% depending) but close enough.

Yes Bards actually get 30% overhaste if they use their level 70 Aura :) ofcourse the DPS on 25% overhaste + L90 Aura with flurry chance improvement is better.

The 30% number on the lvl 70 aura is a typo and not actually what the real overhaste number is. Overhaste has been capped at 25% and any improvements in bard auras/songs come from the flurry and triple attack mods now.

There are other abilities, like group guardian, that give short bursts of overhaste, but its situational and not sustainable unless you have a group of like 4 rangers. I was ignoring those abilities for the purposes of this thread, since they can't be up 100% of the time.

Tank (Preferably a warrior before Planes of Power, as Shadowknights don't take off until PoP w/ AC/DPS and GoD for AE Taunt iirc)
Cleric (Can't get better heals)
Rogue (Pure DPS)
Bard (Crowd Control/Haste/Mana)
Monk (Pulling/Damage until bard gets Fading Memories)
Beastlord (Slow/half ass shaman buffs and kitty crack)

--If I had the drive/patience to come back, I would definitely run this legit crew.

I play

Pally
Monk
Wiz
bard (only one i actually play)
Merc DPS
Merc Healer

Haven't found anything in HoT group that i had trouble with.

I like having the pally since he can use group heals a lot and by doing that
1. pull hate onto him
2. Keep group alive
3. Spot heal himself

Discussion - Ideal Group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back