• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - How quickly can you guys level without power levelling? (1 Viewer)

xenoeq

RedCents
642¢
I’m up to 68/69 on my group now but it’s starting to slow down a lot, I hear stories of people using damage shield power levelling or similar to get 65+ in a few hours, but how fast do you normally get to 75-85+ with just a regular six box?

I’m probably slower than most as I’m not familiar with a lot of the new zones, and I’m not rushing as such, just trying to have fun - but following some of the hot zones has been a drag, just tried getting to the hive and it has been beyond painful - makes me regret not having a mage for coth 😂

It’s definitely a bit painful going from up to 5% per kill to less than 1% in some cases

There's been enough free heroics where most of us can start at 85 so there might not be a lot of people that have leveled more "normally". For moving around do you at least have a fellowship then you can get from 6 down to three but as you get better at it moving around all 6 characters isn't that bad.

Like with only 1 level 85 and 5 level 1's I've gotten a group to 110 in less than a month. But I haven't actually done 1 and up as a group without having other characters available in a really long time though I have considered starting again on another server.

Things that use up a lot of time: worrying about gear, just make to 75 and start wearing TBM armor do the quests at 75 to unlock the augs find some remnants of what ever teh currency for TBM was called. I kinda want to see how long it does take to go 1-85 on a new server. Worrying too much about spells early on can also eat a lot of time because then you're updating ini files and such. You can speed this up by planning the spell and ini upgrades while your guys are grinding an area,

You are almost to what I call the EZ-mode levels... so hang in there.

Once you get to the 72-74 range (sorry I forget), you will be able to get the COV buffs (Dru/Shm regen, Dru/Mag DS, RNG DS, BST+Enc crack, and Righteousness). Then go all-out in whatever zone you choose. It's about as close to PowerOverwhelming as you can get. Your kill rate will skyrocket, even though xp/kill will continue to slow.

You are also getting to the levels where you need to look at your group makeup / play-style to determine levelling paths. If you have a Dru+Mag, then go to zones w/ summoned type. Perhaps you fancy Pal/Clr? Then look for undead. Also, do you like to look at the same zone over and over? Perhaps HA's are in your future. HA's have the built in gearing mechanic that MaxD mentions.

Once you find a zone that offers good xp for your group... stay there! Stay there till the mobs go light blue. Dont waste time every level buying spells, looking for another zone, more gear... Stay where you are. Really it is not a game of XP/ kill, rather it's a game of XP / Hour played. If you are not in camp killing a mob, you are loosing out. If you want, buy a few of the key spells ahead of time. You can sell in the field with /bar and using Summon Agent / Peddler.

Heroics also start at 75 (if you go get outside buffs like allandallis suggested then heroics might not be as efficient) Once heroics start you can go gribbles all the way until you're ready to instance flip a zone like GMM. 75 + can be pretty easy leveling if you don't mind grinding the instances.

I’m up to 68/69 on my group now but it’s starting to slow down a lot, I hear stories of people using damage shield power levelling or similar to get 65+ in a few hours, but how fast do you normally get to 75-85+ with just a regular six box?

I’m probably slower than most as I’m not familiar with a lot of the new zones, and I’m not rushing as such, just trying to have fun - but following some of the hot zones has been a drag, just tried getting to the hive and it has been beyond painful - makes me regret not having a mage for coth 😂

It’s definitely a bit painful going from up to 5% per kill to less than 1% in some cases
It's a super-specialized case but it's possible to start out with over 12k HP and 160+ DS Self buffed with Mount buffs, Food/Drink, Familiar +a Mask+ Some super overpowered LVL 1 usable gear. On classes like Wizard you can self power level to 70 in about 2 hours without a merc or any other buffs if you really wanted to rush it.

It takes FOREVER if you are starting from scratch. I did it a few years ago and it was incredibly painful. There are gear/knowledge deserts where you are looking at info from 2011 trying to figure out xxx

Thank you for the responses, the one mentioning buffs from the early to mid 70s is interesting!

I have a group of 6 gold accounts atm, highest level I ever had before was 65 and that was 18 years ago or so, so I’ve missed all of the free heroics over the years, so mostly everything is new to me

Group is currently SK/Clr/Rog/Bst/Ber/Brd

You are almost to what I call the EZ-mode levels... so hang in there.

Once you get to the 72-74 range (sorry I forget), you will be able to get the COV buffs (Dru/Shm regen, Dru/Mag DS, RNG DS, BST+Enc crack, and Righteousness). Then go all-out in whatever zone you choose. It's about as close to PowerOverwhelming as you can get. Your kill rate will skyrocket, even though xp/kill will continue to slow.

You are also getting to the levels where you need to look at your group makeup / play-style to determine levelling paths. If you have a Dru+Mag, then go to zones w/ summoned type. Perhaps you fancy Pal/Clr? Then look for undead. Also, do you like to look at the same zone over and over? Perhaps HA's are in your future. HA's have the built in gearing mechanic that MaxD mentions.

Once you find a zone that offers good xp for your group... stay there! Stay there till the mobs go light blue. Dont waste time every level buying spells, looking for another zone, more gear... Stay where you are. Really it is not a game of XP/ kill, rather it's a game of XP / Hour played. If you are not in camp killing a mob, you are loosing out. If you want, buy a few of the key spells ahead of time. You can sell in the field with /bar and using Summon Agent / Peddler.
Just had my first taste of this today, that damage shield is addictive! Just finishing up in dragonscale hills with my box group and thinking about loping plains next, they are all 74 right now, my KPH with the DS is huge now

I've moloed several classes to 105.

How fast? Pretty much everyone is limited by kills per hour and experience per hour.

I've always believed gaining any experience constantly is better than spending time hoping to get a big experience pay off.

I grind and fortunately, grind works to 105. Hit Teek focus on the highest hot zone you can kill 100 or so mobs an hour in. Do mercs in that hotzone if available.
I've gone from 1 to 105 in a month of 4 hour days on pet classes. Melee will molo to 105 slower by a few days. Pure casters or pure utility classes a week or two longer still.

I recently did exactly this with your same group composition. I hadn't played EQ since Luclin and started out clean on a new server with no cash, no gear, nothing. I used this guide loosely as a hint on where to go as I progressed. Like you I felt a major slowdown around 68, as I was grinding in plane of fire. All my accounts were FTP at this point. Then I tried Dragonscale Hills per the guide and I was getting absolutely slaughtered. I opened the wallet a little and got my tank a gold subscription. The auto grant AAs helped a bit but only for a few levels. Shortly after that I made the other 5 toons gold, which again helped for a few levels. I was able to do gribbles and the easiest HA in west karana, but they weren't always easy. At this point, I was level 81, I realized that my gear was my problem. I was still in defiant. I was a little bummed at this point because I was flying through content and now I felt like I could barely scratch together 20% of a level in a night.

I decided to take a break from leveling and gear up. I did all of the quests for the Paragon armor achievements (example of one), yes all of them. At times it was brutal and I wanted to quit, but my OCD made me finish them. It probably took me two weeks to complete them all. After that two weeks my crew took all their shiny new armor back to Gribble and we were able to easily handle all three of his HAs. Occasionally being able to pop Lessons of the Devoted right before the final turn in and finish a second one before the XP bonus wore off. Those runs were pretty fun. Once I got over that hump it was pretty straight forward. I focused on keeping my SK in the latest and greatest gear that I could get my hands on. Gear on the rest of the group was nice, but I really only noticed a difference when gearing my tank.

I would do whatever HAs that I could handle that Teeks offered for the bonuses, but I would usually grind according to the guide I linked above. Full disclosure, I did a lot of AFK grinding and probably just got lucky because I did not take sufficient precautions... 81-100 was still a little slow, but I feel like 100-110 was really fast.

I did get the CWTN plugins for all my toons somewhere around 90ish. If you have a little money to burn they are very worth it. I spent so much time tinkering with KA inis that I was happy to just have it done for me, it even tells you what spells you are missing and just the ones you actually need.

I just consulted my git repo of KA inis...I told you they were a pain. Here is my teams progression:

July 16 - Level 1
July 27 - Level 70
August 5 - Level 81
The paragon armor break... Also somewhere in here I got the CWTN plugins because now I only have bard inis in my repo
August 31 - Level 92
September 9 - Level 95
September 15 - Level 110

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions feel free to hit me up. The knowledge is still pretty fresh. But honestly it was a lot of fun just working through it without outside help.

I have since leveled two other teams to 110. The first by decking them out and having my clr bst and brd follow them around for buffs and a safety net. Once the second group got in level range, I would bring along the DPS toons to start slaughtering mobs once the leveling team got it down to 50%. The second team I PL'd using the hatchery macro to 65ish, then SK damage shielding in the Grounds to 80, then by grouping them with my higher level toons in Eok/RoS. These were both way faster obviously but no where near as fun as that first team. Enjoy it while it lasts. Relearning the game was a huge part of the fun for me.

Don't be afraid to go to a slightly higher area while you have that great DS going. I like to hit Zeka or Beza because they have lowish HP (especially with that DS) and so long as you can keep the tank healed the exp flies.
After looking at almars guides both of these sound terrifying, but with a 1600hp/tick regen, 12k hp buff and my cleric maybe they won’t be too bad - I’ll report back 😂

Question - How quickly can you guys level without power levelling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back