• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Hey it's our web page but different (1 Viewer)

I don't know what's eerier--the fact all the OPs in that forums are carbon-copies of NA.com's, the fact that none of the subsequent posts have anything to do w/ NA.com...or the fact I actually know Kognus in game. :confused:

at the bottom of the articles they post

ALL THIS CONTENT COMES FROM NOTADDICTED.COM. PLEASE VISIT THEIR SITE TO SUPPORT WHAT THEY DO!

that's kinda cool

Hi guys, I'm admin at downfall.

We're just using your RSS feeder that you provide from this site to import into a news forum. We're not breaking any ToS's are we? All links have a "original content from notaddicted, please check them out" footer at the bottom.

We're all huge notaddicted fans and it's a great way to push people back to notaddicted.com once new content appears.

And who knows Kognus!?

Are we talking about the same "Wall of text crits you for 29,000,000" Kognus?

He's mine!

I was going to quote something from the thread about this on worldofwarcraft.com but this is just too damn confusing. It was some guy who wanted to hump alihja

Lol; yeah, that's Fail.

It's like my two little forum-based universes are converging now in some horrific sci-fi fashion. Or like that one cross-over episode of The Muppets (the Christmas special, where they all go to Fozzie's Grandma's house). I'd feel bad for destroying the proverbial inter-dimensional stability, but to be honest...I find this highly amusing. :cool:

hmm... i'm not sure how i feel about this... i guess since we don't use banners, and aren't 'in it for the pesos' it's cool, but i would personally prefer if they cut the story in half, and made their readers come here to 'finish the story'... having the:

ALL THIS CONTENT IS FROM NOTADDICTED.COM

...thing at the end of the article kind of defeats the purpose, since they're already done with the article... not to mention since they're hotlinking our pictures, our server is getting hammered to priovide the bandwidth, even though they aren't actually on 'our site'...

that, and all of 'our' stories are apparently written by some 'WoW_News_Bot'... that's about the one thing i get from writing these... the satisfaction of seeing my name up there. seeing some bot crawl our stories, and not even giving us credit is kind of... hmm.

bleh, i just work here so whatever... if you guys are cool with it then i can look the other way, but i'm not too thrilled about it.

This is part one, of a one-part story; a truly ground-breaking story, about a post that was posted on another site that has a post about another post which addresses some other posts from this site which was posted about earlier. Please stay tuned, as more posts about posts relaying the fast-breaking news of another post, is sure to be on the way. When this is all over with I'll have post-parting depression.

We'll keep you posted.

... post-haste.

i laughed so hard at your post-modern pun-filled pastiche i almost dropped my...um...post-tato chips?

damn...sorry, against my better judgement im hitting the 'post quick reply' button anyway.

hmm... i'm not sure how i feel about this... i guess since we don't use banners, and aren't 'in it for the pesos' it's cool, but i would personally prefer if they cut the story in half, and made their readers come here to 'finish the story'...

It's y'all's work, not mine, so I won't offer an opinion as to whether it's a cool thing or a not-so-cool thing. Let me just say thought that if you do as Isobelle is suggesting--cut the RSS stories in half--I don't think anyone will ever bother with them again, speaking from a user-side prospective. I haven't dealt with RSS before--hellz, I don't even know what it stands for--but judging by the fact this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone using it, I'll surmise it's not a very popular feature. If you add on top of this they won't even be rewarded w/ a full story... It should be all or nothing IMHO.

RSS how Frybread explained it:
Frybread said:
RSS isn't just used for sites to harvest content, it's also a way for people to read updates in their email program, or be instantly notified by their browser when we update.

It's not so much a problem that people are reading our entire articles on different website, but that the articles posted are not being credited to the authors who wrote them. I personally don't have a problem with it since I am just happy to see more people reading my stuff, but others have expressed their displeasure with it. I completely understand why this can be an issue for some of our writers, being one myself. I know how difficult it is to come up with fresh "funny"content each week and our only compensation is the recognition we get from our readers.

Right now our website is not generating any revenue at all, but in the future it may and that is when this issue becomes a problem for all of us. When a website gains ad revenue it is pretty important that people come here for the articles instead of somewhere else. In most instances where an RSS feed is being used, a link is sent to the users email address or browser whenever an update is made - that way they can just click the link from their home page instead of having to navigate the interwebs. So don't take down this feature of your website and spray paint NA SUX on your neighbors car just yet, we are talking about what we want to do with this situation so everyone is happy.

Hi guys, it's me again. I'm going to see about finageling (it's a word, ask my grandpa) the import settings to cut the articles in half (with a big "read more here") and get the "All work by NotAddicted.com" at the top.

Also, I believe, with the forum system you guys are rocking here, there are export settings with all sorts of control over how much of the article can go out and what not. I also aggregate all articles from NotAddicted.com (as well all my other favorite sites with RSS feeds) through Google Reader. I do love them intarrwebs!

Hi guys, it's me again. I'm going to see about finageling (it's a word, ask my grandpa) the import settings to cut the articles in half (with a big "read more here") and get the "All work by NotAddicted.com" at the top.

Dammit! How DARE you defy my statement that noone would want to bother doing that!

Hey it's our web page but different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back