• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Help Overclocking (1 Viewer)

unknown405

RedCents
90¢
My computer setup is below in case you need any of that information. I want to overclock everything I can but keep it safe, I'm afraid I'm going to blow out my hardware if I do this myself. I have EVGA Precision utility for overclocking my video card and need to know what settings to put core clock, shader clock, memory clock and fan speed. Then I need to know what program to download to overclock everything else and what settings to put them at.

Motherboard:
ASUS P5Q Deluxe

Video Card:
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX

Power Supply:
OCZ GameXStream

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Memory:
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda 250GB (3.0Gb/s)

Cooling:
MASSCOOL 92mm Ball CPU Cooler

My computer setup is below in case you need any of that information. I want to overclock everything I can but keep it safe, I'm afraid I'm going to blow out my hardware if I do this myself. I have EVGA Precision utility for overclocking my video card and need to know what settings to put core clock, shader clock, memory clock and fan speed. Then I need to know what program to download to overclock everything else and what settings to put them at.

Motherboard:
ASUS P5Q Deluxe

Video Card:
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX

Power Supply:
OCZ GameXStream

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Memory:
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda 250GB (3.0Gb/s)

Cooling:
MASSCOOL 92mm Ball CPU Cooler

I am on the road, but I have a P5N-E (w/ 8 gig memory) at home, and if I recall there is a nice setting it has. You can have the BIOs set up at 5%, 10%, etc over clock speed and it will do it for you. Try that first, it works fairly good for me. Probably the best/easiest way to start.

wouldnt know mother board came with a very easy and user friendly interface built into it... i overclock it with a simple click of the buttton of the interface and can ramp it back down without ever having to go into bios...

I have NEVER overclocked before because on my old computer I couldn't overclock anything, even my video card couldn't be overclocked. My BIOS wouldn't let me from what I saw and my video card overclock just wouldn't work, but I never did too much research on it because my computer was so god damn bad I figured overclocking would make it blow up.

My favorite guy in the world Clint helped me safely overclock yesterday from 2.25 GHz (I believe that was default) to 3.0 GHz but then he went away. I ended up playing around with the settings and learning to overclock myself, though I still don't know what a lot of those settings in the BIOS do. I absolutely LOVE my motherboard though, it's so user friendly and easy to change settings it's just the best. It's also got so many safety features on it that I actually don't think it's possible to blow or overheat anything at all.

Whenever something gets too high of a temperature, not enough volts to power something, new BIOS settings prevent the booting of the computer or ANYTHING like that then it will automatically shut off the computer and flash the BIOS to a fix for you. I ended up getting my computer up to 3.65 GHz last night which is awesome, the CPU was 20-25 Celsius while nothing was running but doesn't seem to be able to handle too much work on it so I'll need to get Clint to help me with that.

I ran 3DMark06 and it got about 3/4ths through the 1st graphics test when the computer rebooted itself (I'm guessing it's because the CPU was close to overheating but 3DMark is full screen so I couldn't see the temperature window I had open.) I'm sure it will be able to run Counter Strike or Everquest fine but it just has trouble with benchmarking or other similar programs that work your CPU to it's max.

Good news is I was getting over 100 FPS during most of that first 3DMark06 graphics test when before the overclock I was only getting 30-80 (I ONLY got 80 in the very beginning.) Clint told me not to try and overclock my video card at all (eVGA 9800 GTX) but after the success I was having with the CPU overclock (well, for a beginner anyway) I decided to slightly overclock my video card. Didn't like that too much, screen turned dark green and I had to reset my computer to fix it (used Precision Tool to overclock it.)

So anyway I'm hoping (though I'm sure it's very doubtful but I'm not an overclock expert) that I can get my CPU up to 4.0 GHz and my video card slightly overclocked so it's a lot faster but still functioning properly. I was REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hoping I could successfully and safely overclock the CPU to 5.0 GHz because that would be DOUBLE the stock speed which would just be an amazing deal for how cheap it was (Intel Quad Core Q6600 otherwise known as the best CPU for the money on the market right now.)

I'm not sure how possible it is to reach 5.0 GHz though as I'm having overheating issues at 3.65 GHz while running 3DMark06. Then again I have never overclocked anything in my life, so if I can get it up to 3.65 GHz with no issues (unless I run a benchmarking utility) then maybe with Clints help I actually can get it to 5.0 GHz with no overheating issues but I honestly don't have any idea if that's possible or not.

If you are going to push it that hard I highly recommend going to liquid cooling. the huge fluctuation you are going to get in temperature will indefinitely shorten the life of your processor. Not to mention cause buggy stuff to happen.

650mhz overclock is a big jump. pushing for 1.0ghz personally would scare the hell out of me if I didint have the money to buy a replacement. The auto shutdown feature isnt foolproof you can still damage your proc before the internal thermostat kicks in.

As far as overclocking tools most of the time on a gamer boards Nvidia or ATI will usually supply a tool to safely clock your card.Check their site.

Ive been building gaming rigs for going on 11 years, just my 2cp

You need to keep a few things in mind as your OverClocking Unknown. Yes it may shut off your PC when the temps get too hot for it to handle but that cycle will dramatically shorten the life of your PC. Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about trying to up your GHZ. Instead I would lower my stepping and increase my FSB(Front Side Bus). In doing so you will also be OverClocking your GPU. Hence not needing to OverClock it by hand. In the end this will give you best performance results your computer can achieve without completely ruining your system. As nyghteyes said that would scare the hell of out me too putting such stress on your system.

When overclocking as I have said your GHZ will most likely stay just about the same depending on the stepping you pick. You'll most likely have to increase the voltage to your CPU just slightly to handle this. Lets assume your FSB is 200 with a stepping of 11.25 which yields 2.25GHZ. Now by dropping your stepping to 10 that would increase your FSB to 225. Here is where the fun begins, slowly you would increase your FSB on a lower stepping to test what your system can handle. Raise it slowly in even intervals and run intensive programs such as 3DMarks for stability. Keep cranking until you system starts rebooting or shutting down. Once it does lower it twice, test again, and leave it. Doing so will be the best thing for you in the long run and provide a better gaming enviroment.

if you have asus board look up.... ai booster.... very nice easy interface for overclocking on asus boards

Help Overclocking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back