• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Graphics settings for EQ resets to high density randomly (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,161¢
I am curious if you've run into a problem of graphics settings resetting to high density particles, unlimited fps, maximum effects etc.

Over the years I have painstakingly optimized minimal settings. Stick figures, all graphics at minimal.

Frustratingly sometimes some alts on some computers will revert to maximal settings.

It must be caused by graphics preferences being corrupted somehow.

What is weird that this time, the reset was partial - high density particles were turned on, but my other minimal settings were kept

High_density_particles.jpg

A few months back this reset used to reset everything to max, now at least it only resets some things...such as max FPS back to unlimited.

graphics_settings_advanced.jpg

So curious am I alone in experience this Heisenbug?

This time it must have been caused by laptop going to sleep and some settings file being corrupted.

if you are running many clients from 1 machine, with a single EQ install, and with a single EQClient.ini file then,
1) the last client to log out , will be the last settings written to the eqclient.ini (and therefore be the one that is referenced by all at next startup), which may or may not be different from your preferred settings
2) sometimes multiple clients are trying to write to the same file, freaking it out, and causing it to revert back to default settings

solution, get your eqclient.ini file how you like it, and change the properties to Read-Only

I agree with Hylander, setting eqclient.ini to read-only will prevent unexpected and often unwanted changes. Keep in mind you have done this, or be frustrated when you move a window years later and keep wondering why it is back where it started. Not asking for a friend.

Thank you guys!
Agreed, I should have set the file eqclient.ini to read only with 10+ clients running.

EDIT: pretty sure /bca //camp desktop was the culprit - multiple concurrent write attempts on eqclient.ini - no bueno

Last edited:
I run four accounts, each with their own set of files. Long ago (circa 2003) when I tried running multiple accounts from the same EQ files folder I had issues with zoning and saving files. Since then I've always had a separate folder (and EQ files directory) for every account on the computer. Space is not a problem and zoning is very fast with SSD.

This is a common problem, Best way to neutralize this is pick the happy medium in the setting . 50% on all settings.

You will have no issues and enjoy the graphics no matter what your PC situation is

Question - Graphics settings for EQ resets to high density randomly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back