• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

GP2x vs Hacking as PSP (1 Viewer)

alucard

RedCents
I'm interested in a PDA that I could use for wireless Internet when I'm away from home. At the moment I'm torn between getting a PSP and getting the GP2X. If I were to get the PSP I would have to hack it and put Linux on it, but if I were to get a GP2X all I'd have to do is buy a WIFI chip. What do you guys think I should do?

Trust me when I say I wouldn't know, but from what I hear the PSP is worth it if your in to that sort of thing. It's more work, but it apparently performs much better.

Once again, please dont make your decision based on me, I'm just saying what I heard.

Oh and the games of the GP2x compared to the PSP are pathetic, as well as movie quality.

If I were you I'd just shell out for a PSP.

alucard said:
I'm interested in a PDA that I could use for wireless Internet when I'm away from home.

If I were to get the PSP I would have to hack it and put Linux on it

Why would you have to put Linux on it? It has a built-in web browser.

With the new Pandora method of hacking a PSP I'd go PSP all the way... Currently mine is fully hacked and can run pretty much anything... PSX, SNES, GBA, Genesis, Master System, NES roms and my own .iso files of my (cough cough) original UMD games... Also have a look st the updates on the PSP Slim as it may tickle your fancy more than the current Original Flavour version...

I think I've decided on the GP2X because I'm not really intrested in games or power; I just want to mess around and open source seems to be the best route for that.

Im gonna use a Iphone or Ipod Touch not sure yet...

Fuck i cant wait untill i get one of them =)

-decker

I would go for GP2X, but that's because i already won DS and PSP in monthly pools in RG. Also I wouldnt want to run linux on PSP, but i wouldnt want to run it on my PC neither. Seriously - when you need to use PSP for typing any text - its a pain in the ass.
I would rather run linux on DS with Slot-1 card and Slot-2 memory expansion (some slot-2 cards come with 32MB of RAM), at least virtual keyboard is pretty comfortable. Plus, unlike on PSP, there are actually fun games to play on DS.

Neither one for wifi (gp2x doesn't have wifi in any form as far as I know), get a PDA or a handheld like Nokia 770/880

If you want an arm linux box gp2x is great

You can use wifi on the gp2x by using an SD card. Preferably I'd have the nokia N800, but it's a bit more expensive and not a redguides prize.

SD card can be more than just memory card. If the SD slot is SDIO compatible, anything could be used including wireless SD card. Do a search for SDIO and you'd see what else can be used other than for memory.

Where does it say that? I just see
"Recent drivers released for linux with ARM capabilities have increased the possibility for SDIO devices to be run on the GP2X."

Seriously, :) what do you think that phrase means? What it means is that there were some drivers released for some ARM Linux and because of that there is a chance that at some point in time GP2X will get a working SDIO card. "Increased the possibility" means it's impossible right now but could be possible in the future.

GP2x vs Hacking as PSP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back