• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Got the basics down - Now a 3-box for live? (1 Viewer)

Hydeke

RedCents
84¢
Just subbed into redguides yesterday. Now I'm trying to decide on the trio I would like to progress with.
I'll be starting at level 85 with 3 heroics chars on three accounts.

I was thinking along the lines of SK/DRU/WIZ or SK/ENC/WIZ, or perhaps SK/SHM/WIZ.

What are your thoughts of a good first 3 box to invest in to do progress through the game

It depends what your goal is. If you want to leisurely play 85-115 any of those combos are great.

If you're interested in pushing to current content quickly, you'll save yourself a ton of time if you start with a mage or beast instead of the SK and tank with the pet while you're levelling up. A player tank needs to fully re-gear every 5 levels so you'll spend a lot of time farming. You can replace with an SK later.

If you go the pet route I'd go MAG/ENC/DRU or MAG/ENC/WIZ.

My goal is to do progress through each expansion from HOT-Current. I haven't done much of the game beyond level 85. So I want to take some time and do everything(within reason). So stopping to regear won't be an issue for me as in this instance I'll be spending a fair amount of time in each expansion.

Also - if anyone has a server/guild that is looking for more on Live -- I would be happy to join !

one of us!

Welcome Hydeke!

Covering your bases is real important imo - real tank, real heals, and CC --- healer merc *can* sorta cover the heals if you're truly going only 3 toons, but if you're looking to do full progression with missions and such, I would strongly encourage covering the holy trinity bases as solidly as you can. I pet tanked for a long time - a real deal tank is a huge huge step up.

Sic, love the videos. Appreciate the time you took to put them up. I got up and working pretty quickly with them.
Based on your suggestion:

SK/DRU/ENC + 3 WIZ mercs or 1 CLR/2WIZ mercs be a good way to start?

Sic, love the videos. Appreciate the time you took to put them up. I got up and working pretty quickly with them.
Based on your suggestion:

SK/DRU/ENC + 3 WIZ mercs or 1 CLR/2WIZ mercs be a good way to start?
your mileage may vary, but dru aren't much loved currently - clr or shm usually go-tos for solo healin - but if you're tossin in the clr merc, the druid for side heals and deeps plus wizzies and ench might be fun.

a ftp cleric in poop gear > cleric merc often times - we should make a calendar pool to see how long you last with only 3 - muhahahahaha

*one of us!*

somethign important i usually mention and didn't because I was eating.

the *most* important thing is to enjoy your team. so roll with what makes you happy - and if you end up adjusting your crew later on, mq2 makes that pretty easy - especially once you end up with a 115 tank (115 can group with 85).

Since you don't really seem to have too strong of a preference. Sks are very strong, and have some of the best tools for group content and multiboxing in general - with the way eq works these days (and i guess always has been) investing in your tank is super important - Gear, AAs, Augments, Etc - make this your primary focus and give them the lion's share of attention for upgrades - think of everything else as supporting this character to achieve its goals, which in turn is you achieving yours.

I started a 3 box team - Pally, Shaman, Bard and was using DPS mercs. It worked well but I have to say that by far the best solution is a 6 man team from the start. It is much easier to manage (merc management can be a hassle) a 6 man team with KA or CWTN or Mule etc. than it is three mercs.

I ended up going with my 3 man team and cranked up 3 heroic characters (Zerk, Zerk, Rog). 0-85 was much tougher than 86-115 and less enjoyable as well. So my advice would be to jump all in with 6 characters and no mercs. Whatever you decide welcome.

Quick question on a druid buff if anyone knows... How do I make my druid cast the short duration DS (Frondspur)
only during combat? Been tinkering around with the .INI and cant figure it out

Quick question on a druid buff if anyone knows... How do I make my druid cast the short duration DS (Frondspur)
only during combat? Been tinkering around with the .INI and cant figure it out
short duration buffs you will want to have in your dps section instead of buffs section

SK/SHM/ENC would be my choice, if I would start with 3 from 85 onwards.
Sk as tank should be the easiest tank to snap aggro away from the others. Shm adds some nice adps and should be sufficient as mainhealer, once tank is geared for the content. (in the meantime a merc healer will offer cleri-buffs and additional heals). Enc as there's no real cc without one. For my feeling of all the mercs, the melee-mercs are actually the most adequate for their role. So if you like to stay with 3 toons hiring 3 meleemercs should get you anywhere you want.

I tried myself with bard b4 I swapped to enc. When the camp allows, the bard offers more adps to the team. But there are situations where the bards cc for me wasn't sufficient to survive.

So I've been having a lot of fun and success with the 3 box I ended up choosing :D
WAR using mq2war plugin
SHM using mq2shaman plugin
Ranger - i usually drive it, between harmonious arrow/flusterbolt/entrap/vinelash I am able to keep as many mobs in the camp I want as well as DPS(hopefully it keeps working this way as I'm only level 88 now :D )

Question tho - I'm not sure of the mechanics. While I'm moving through zones and fighting stuff. I've been doing :

Camp off --> Follow Me/Come To me ---> Engage mob ---> Camp On ---> Kill enemy(ies) ---> Camp off ---> Follow/Me ---> ETC

is there a better way of going about this while I have to move through zones?

So I've been having a lot of fun and success with the 3 box I ended up choosing :D
WAR using mq2war plugin
SHM using mq2shaman plugin
Ranger - i usually drive it, between harmonious arrow/flusterbolt/entrap/vinelash I am able to keep as many mobs in the camp I want as well as DPS(hopefully it keeps working this way as I'm only level 88 now :D )

Question tho - I'm not sure of the mechanics. While I'm moving through zones and fighting stuff. I've been doing :

Camp off --> Follow Me/Come To me ---> Engage mob ---> Camp On ---> Kill enemy(ies) ---> Camp off ---> Follow/Me ---> ETC

is there a better way of going about this while I have to move through zones?
check out the "how i move my group around" in my signature.

I personally usually run around in mode 0 or 7 on my tank with my dudes in chasemode.

if you're running around with your warrior and driving on another toon, you would want to probably use sictank mode and utilize followme, and when you get to where you're fighting have your warrior issue a /war resetcamp (by doing something like /noparse /bcga //docommand /${Me.Class.ShortName} resetcamp) This will have your warrior cwtn dudes update their camp to where you are at now - which will allow your warrior to pick targets and fight the mobs around him.

in my experience (necro main for a looong time) it is so much easier "driving" your crew from your tank.

A top of the line tank makes it all easy mode. War is faceroll tank, SK adds more over all. while your level'n and AA, CC is a must. Once you start topping out, CC can go in the bank except for missions, normal day to day things, DPS is king (a bard fits nicely for cc, adps and general dps, just not OMG dps unless on burn). I havent found any real value in a pally, made one because why not, undead, blah blah blah.. yeah, War or SK for efficiency.

The most important thing is to cover ALL your bases for whatever content you want to cover.
My Main started out as SK (Troll of course), ENC, CLR

Then I added a Mage..because COTH grp >all when ur lazy.
Then I added a Shaman (Troll of Course)
And then I inherited another SK (Troll of Course!)

SK,SK,ENC,MAG,SHM,CLR

Dps wasnt perfect, but there is no content u cant do with this setup.

SK alliance is one of the easiest to trigger, and 2 * SK Epic in one grp is always awesome.

Question - Got the basics down - Now a 3-box for live?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back