• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Resource icon

Lua - Generate Zone Data (1 Viewer) 1.0

I approved this resource, however, since the data is static, it is probably more useful as just a straight file than as a Lua to generate it.

we have zones.ini in the resources folder, which has long name and shortname, it does not have zone IDs because it is an old ini, and not something like yaml or something more oriented towards more than key value pairs.

regardless,

thanks for sharing with folks roun!

INI:
local skipZoneIds = { Z184=true, Z185=true, Z190=true, Z837=true, Z838=true, Z839=true, Z840=true, Z841=true, Z842=true,  }

curious why the 'Z' prefix

I approved this resource, however, since the data is static, it is probably more useful as just a straight file than as a Lua to generate it.

we have zones.ini in the resources folder, which has long name and shortname, it does not have zone IDs because it is an old ini, and not something like yaml or something more oriented towards more than key value pairs.

regardless,

thanks for sharing with folks roun!

Thanks for approving. I did consider whether to just toss the code out, but since I also thought there could be maintenance down the road, went the resource route.

I was specifically after the zone ids (for another Lua script).

If you were to run this on a TLP server that's on an early expansion, would it give the same results as a live server?

If you were to run this on a TLP server that's on an early expansion, would it give the same results as a live server?

As long as mq.TLO.Zone returns info for that zone, yes. It skips anything that returns nil, a name of 'Not Found', or the character select zones.

Last edited:
I guess my question is more about servers than your script, do all live servers return the same Zone info? If an xpac isn't released yet on a server, can you still get info for its zones?

I'd test but then I'm breaking my own rules, and I don't currently have a gold account 😋

If the zone structure included the expansion of the zone, I'd add a filter based on whether the running character has the expansion available to them. Maybe add a starting param: 'all', 'available', and possibly a specific expansion (e.g., 'Rain of Fear', '<Rain of Fear', 'Rain of Fear>').

I asked about it because it is an unnecessary inclusion in the code. I know that Z means zone, and telling me that does not tell me why it was put into the code.

Zone flags aren't really documented, and i don't think there is anything useful for you there anyways. We have expansion but its not exposed.

Lua - Generate Zone Data

Users who are viewing this thread

Back