• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Discussion - FTP bst vs mage in melee group (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,399¢
Hi, I tried to search but didn’t find anything recent!

I run sk,shm,ber,rog, brd and made a 115 bst but with it being ftp and most likely never getting slot 5 or decent slot 7 augs I’m wondering if a mage would out dps it by decent amount?

Thank you for your wisdom !!

melee you can get the 32 hdex type 5s from TBM, but get pretty hosed after that. it is pretty substantial dps loss

mage/nec have a better time being ftp --- but you're probably going to still meet all your goals
bst brings a lot of things to a melee group, I hate not having a bst with any group i can, but their personal performance will obviously suffer - weaker pet, the way they scale with hdex and weapons/pet

you'd be fine either way, I'd keep the bst for me personally

melee you can get the 32 hdex type 5s from TBM, but get pretty hosed after that. it is pretty substantial dps loss

mage/nec have a better time being ftp --- but you're probably going to still meet all your goals
bst brings a lot of things to a melee group, I hate not having a bst with any group i can, but their personal performance will obviously suffer - weaker pet, the way they scale with hdex and weapons/pet

you'd be fine either way, I'd keep the bst for me personally
@Koko it is a matter of choice and what ini, automation, and clickies you’ve got available. Mage with bifold focus and all the right clickies will destroy a bst all day in dps by a lot…but only contribute marginally to group melee dps…

The utility of each class is also a factor, it is a lot easier to move 6 with a mage and group coth…

No wrong choice between those two classes imo.

Hi, I tried to search but didn’t find anything recent!

I run sk,shm,ber,rog, brd and made a 115 bst but with it being ftp and most likely never getting slot 5 or decent slot 7 augs I’m wondering if a mage would out dps it by decent amount?

Thank you for your wisdom !!
do both, change out as you need your group to do different things. There are times when I like to run beastlord, magician, and necromancer all in same group. Other times I mix it up with other classes - usually for melee focused groups like yours, I like the beastlord. A lot of the beastlord spells and abilities will not be as useful to you since you're running a shaman, but its still really ok - you're covered for pretty much everything with sk, shm, bard. After that, its just flavor of the day from my perspective.

do both, change out as you need your group to do different things. There are times when I like to run beastlord, magician, and necromancer all in same group. Other times I mix it up with other classes - usually for melee focused groups like yours, I like the beastlord. A lot of the beastlord spells and abilities will not be as useful to you since you're running a shaman, but its still really ok - you're covered for pretty much everything with sk, shm, bard. After that, its just flavor of the day from my perspective.
@WiseTrapper … 100% agree. It took a while but you’ve got to get to a point where you build based on core components. EX: Tank1, Bard1, Enc1, Cleric1…that’s your core then 2x of whatever…that’s like cake filling…you just add whatever flavor you fancy.

Now my core recipe is always those 4 classes…primarily if i go make an omelet or run and errand there’s now much that can kill that team (in regular circumstances) … the only variable on dps does is how fast they clear an area…

But again…like everyone else here i started with one team and slowly built to 10+ core teams and dozens of dps classes i add as needed for utility.

Thank you all for the responses !! I think I’ll make a new acc and lvl up the mage just to have one available before they implement that mob locking mechanic to live that sounds like it’ll end sk PLing.

Side note I’ll look into type 5 tbm farming!!

Thanks again for your time

@WiseTrapper … 100% agree. It took a while but you’ve got to get to a point where you build based on core components. EX: Tank1, Bard1, Enc1, Cleric1…that’s your core then 2x of whatever…that’s like cake filling…you just add whatever flavor you fancy.

Now my core recipe is always those 4 classes…primarily if i go make an omelet or run and errand there’s now much that can kill that team (in regular circumstances) … the only variable on dps does is how fast they clear an area…

But again…like everyone else here i started with one team and slowly built to 10+ core teams and dozens of dps classes i add as needed for utility.
You do you, but I would discourage advertising capabilities for playing AFK. It seems the AFK stuff is what really drives a lot of the vitriol towards our community. Just my 2 red cents.

You do you, but I would discourage advertising capabilities for playing AFK. It seems the AFK stuff is what really drives a lot of the vitriol towards our community. Just my 2 red cents
@2ndGoat 100% agree. Its just nice to know i can run for a bio break without having to worry about the team dying

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Discussion - FTP bst vs mage in melee group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back