• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Patch - Friday - Unscheduled Downtime - October 28, 2022 & Patch Notes (1 Viewer)

Sic

[sic]
RedCents
28,671¢
Pronouns
He/Him

All EverQuest Live Servers will be brought offline on Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:30 AM PT* for an important update. Downtime is expected to last approximately 3 hours.

odd ... did some tov/cov raid events this week with a couple buddies on test and we got currencies ... dont think it slipped through from test? thought they were both currently synced to the same true up patch atm ... perhaps im mistaken

odd ... did some tov/cov raid events this week with a couple buddies on test and we got currencies ... dont think it slipped through from test? thought they were both currently synced to the same true up patch atm ... perhaps im mistaken
it *said* you got currency, but did you observe your currency going up?

some folks are saying they're still getting currency and others not

Yesterday, Aristo confirmed they and Niente tracked down the issue, so it is definitely still a thing that is at least happening for *some* folks

1666954699840.png
1666954782368.png

Its all about those trees in the Moors not dropping the halloween quest items. That's a game stopper. I mean its not like players cannot go to another zone and do the quest (insert sarcasm)

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

It never ceases to amaze me how things that are working just fine previous to the introduction of NEW fixes ends up breaking the stuff that is working fine LOL... like did someone accidentally hit end or home and then started typing... or misclick the mouse cursor to the wrong position, then began typing new code... I am NOT a coder/developer, so my ignorance might be very strong here, but I still wonder why we fix the working things that we break upon introducing new stuff... *shrug*

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

It never ceases to amaze me how things that are working just fine previous to the introduction of NEW fixes ends up breaking the stuff that is working fine LOL... like did someone accidentally hit end or home and then started typing... or misclick the mouse cursor to the wrong position, then began typing new code... I am NOT a coder/developer, so my ignorance might be very strong here, but I still wonder why we fix the working things that we break upon introducing new stuff... *shrug*
I know it seems strange, but this has happened with every piece of software that has ever been written since the beginning of time (or 1 Jan, 1970). You always end up with some kind of undocumented dependencies and simple changes break things that you don't expect to be broken. This problem becomes exponentially bigger as code bases get older and your have turnover. It's often the case that "John" down the hall is an expert on XYZ system and no one else really knows how it works. John never documented anything because he know the system inside and out. Then one day John leaves and someone else is stuck trying to figure it out, but they will never know everything that John knew and will eventually break something.

This is normally addressed with various testing methodologies (Google can tell you all about them). Despite years of software development experience, it's still unclear to me exactly what methodology DPG subscribes to, which leads to believe there isn't one. For example, this bug with missing disciplines was known about on Test and reported a couple of weeks ago, but they still pushed it to live only to have to turn around and do an emergency patch. That's not how testing is supposed to work.

I do give them a little bit a break though. Working with old code sucks, and I can't imagine having to maintain something like EQ, much less implement new features. It's amazing that stuff doesn't break more often.

Patch - Friday - Unscheduled Downtime - October 28, 2022 & Patch Notes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back