• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - FPS problem - game unplayable - upgraded video card from a 2090ti to a 4090 (1 Viewer)

RedCents
252¢
I upgraded my video card from 2090 to asus 4090 nvidia card. my monitor is a benq running at 240 mhz and im running intel cpus.

After the swap my fps is shit and its unplayable on this pc now. Im only running a few instances in windows mode.
i tested some other games like new world and they run fine.

CPU and memory are minimal both for EQ and the OS

set cpuaffinity to -1
reran the wizard from the launchpad
performed a clean install of drivers.
disabled gsync
bad performance with or without MQ

any ideas would be great.

thank you all for the help. appreciate you all taking time to comment and assist.

purged eqgame.ini ( had some from isboxer ) - reran the options wizard and turned off the new models $$
made sure all power options are squared away - all set to never sleep max performance etc - even pci express
background and regular fps are set to unlimited though changing this to anything does help.

same issue.

It does seem like the first instances is better and then starting a second instances it goes to shit.

That is like running a top fuel dragster on a 200 ft track. I am agreeing with the posts above it might be overlooking eq as a game and or a power saving thing. I had a 2070 super and according to fraps it was worse than my old ass 660 ti. I had to make sure the eq graphics settings werent over ridden by the nvidea settings because it wanted to add things eq doesnt even need...triple this.........double that. Hope you find it am sure once you do the sky will be the limit. Can always try turning eq settings and nvidea settings to highest and lowest and see if anything changes. Am sure it is something in there buggering up the whole works.

My in game max fps is set to unlimited, background fps set to minimum. I use mq frame limiter, where I have background fps set to .001 fps (minimum) and foreground fps set to 40 fps, because I'm working with limited resources. It's running nicely with 6-7 clients. I believe the best course of action is to use mq frame limiter because it handles frame limiting more efficiently, it should also be overriding the in game frame limit settings.
1680984356313.png1680984572277.png1680984537095.png

Nvidia has been having issues with drivers latel. Especially when running in Win 11. Suggesting that you go to device manager, uninstall your drivers (also deleting files for them), then restart. Install latest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia direct. Also, make sure power management doesn't have your minmum CPU set to only 10% or something. Make min/max both 100% in your power plan. (this is all assuming the OS is Windows 10/11 environment.

You switched through two major gpu architectures. Did you just pull one card out and throw the other in? I would generally use DDU display driver uninstaller to wipe the older drivers out. Reboot. Install new drivers. And reboot again. Then with Nvidia I’d install the card manufacturers software and run the tuner profiler against that specific card. It uses machine learning to make sure your card has its best settings on the power curve for that specific individual card. You can get bunk settings from the manufacturer for a card and that tuner thing will fix that if it’s the case and will make sure the card is operating the best it can for your setup.

Also what power supply do you have. The power target for 4000 series cards is MUCH higher than 2000 series cards. 4000 bare minimum is 750-800 watt, and some of the cards push some setups into the 1100 watt range.

Anyways. I'm betting if you didn't clean install the driver you got an old power curve for the 2000 series card sitting around. It's a really common issue I see. It'll make a 3 or 4000 card seem useless.

Last edited:
I upgraded my video card from 2090 to asus 4090 nvidia card. my monitor is a benq running at 240 mhz and im running intel cpus.

After the swap my fps is shit and its unplayable on this pc now. Im only running a few instances in windows mode.

set cpuaffinity to -1
disabled gsync

What type of CPU and MoBO are you running?

I'm thinking might me a BIOs issue.

BB

If you're using MQ framelimiter, you don't need to use in-game BG fps limiting. In fact, because of the way the game does it's frame limiting, you're actively harming your performance by setting it to minimum.
Framelimiter actually bypasses the in-game stuff now, but still a good idea to just put them at 30 or 60

External limiting stuff like isboxer and and will screw you if setup incorrectly tho

thank you all for the help. appreciate you all taking time to comment and assist.

purged eqgame.ini ( had some from isboxer ) - reran the options wizard and turned off the new models $$
made sure all power options are squared away - all set to never sleep max performance etc - even pci express
background and regular fps are set to unlimited though changing this to anything does help.

same issue.

It does seem like the first instances is better and then starting a second instances it goes to shit.
Did you change it for the program or global settings in the NVidia Control Panel?

NVIDIA Control Panel, select the "Manage 3D settings" from the left column -> click on the Power management mode drop-down box and select "Prefer Maximum Performance".

Hi, hello.

Did you install new drivers after the GPU swap? Did you run a DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Also might try to reinstall DX9 June or Direct X in overall.

tried setting custom cpu affinity for EQ setting 2 dedicates cores to the 2 instances I tested. Same performance if not worse.
tried using isboxer considering its built in fps limiting and cpu affinity - tried to start one instances and it was awful. 2fps

as per several suggestions including the last post.
  • uninstalled all nvidia software
  • downloaded and ran a DDU software clearing all nvidia drivers and software and rebooting.
  • download new drivers and extracted them to a new home
  • installed new driver selecting a clean install
  • went in and set customer eqgame.exe setting in nvidia control panel. set power to max performance - turned off vertical sync / gync / /shout im good have at /shout dont need
  • deleted the eqgame.ini again

I found that the first instance that start by itself with no changes to eq works perfect. I can tell the difference in the GPU from the 2090 too as I went into the GH and it ate it up like it wasn't an issue
as soon I open a second instance all instances fps goes to shit.

At this point I did set max fps to 100 in EQ and left background to min cpu. click on the gamma nonsense.

I haven't put the mq2 fps plugin in .. and mq2 on or off doesn't seem to impact the behavior

Obviously its an issue running 2 or more instances .. wtf . why ..

you need to cmap out proper after the first has loaded up build your new eqclient.ini

then load it up again see if that has issues, then load nother toon, see if that has issues

I still think the issue is with your in game client setup.

You said "At this point I did set max fps to 100 in EQ and left background to min cpu. click on the gamma nonsense"

You really want set both the foreground and background CPU to 100% in the EQ client. Let MQ's new frame limiter do the work. **

If that doesn't make any difference then try swapping your 2090 back in and see how the EQ client is working.
- If it works as expected then you have a hardware/driver/api issue with then 4090.
- if it does NOT work as expected then you have a problem with your EQ settings.

NOTE: MQ2FPS no longer exists. Its now baked into the core MQ code.

Type /mqsettings -> Frame Limiter and explore the settings.

Since you are having issues with frame rate. Disable both foreground and background limiting.

With your rig you should be hitting 100+ with 1 or 2 clients loaded.

OK, it took me a long time to remember and find what I was talking about before with memory management. For nVidia they call it Resizable Bar and AMD calls it Smart Access Memory.

Here is a link to explain it...

I remember reading threads on the DBG forums where people had to disable that feature in their PC Bios before EQ would run well.

A german tech site did some FPS testing on that last fall showing huge swings (some good some bad), and since its intel cpu to intel gpu, it might have set it on?.. However, normally not enable except on the newest MBs.

set cpuaffinity to -1
disabled gsync

Have you tried disabling “Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling”?

I upgraded awhile back to a 390 ti from 1080 ti x2 and got horrible graphics issues. Did some Google-Fu and ran across this setting. After disabling it it solved my issues. This and turing on AMDs "Resizable Bar". Not sure what Intel's version of this is called.

Hope you get it fixed man.

BB~

Edit forgot to add- Windows Symbol --> System--> Display--> Graphics Setting --> Should be able to tik in on or off there.

Last edited:
dx from that link installed.
added
RefreshRate=60
BitsPerPixel=32

no change.

the first instance though it does behave well is getting 7fps. it seems good as once i load other instances it becomes awful.

I have liberally disabled features for eqgame.exe specifically and no change. eq does recognize the card.

View attachment 47722
A lot of us use 0.001 as the Target FPS setting in the background. Advanced options I have my Min Sim Rate set to 35.

Turn off Windowed Gamma, Increased Windowed Gamma, Advanced Lighting, and Radial Flora. Change Sky to Once per minute, Minimum texture quality, and least memory usage. Set in-game Max Background FPS to 35. Let's get a good baseline here.

Are you using any overclocking software? Afterburner, Riva Tuner, Precision X?

Problem - FPS problem - game unplayable - upgraded video card from a 2090ti to a 4090

Users who are viewing this thread

Back