• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

First crew (1 Viewer)

ornonic

RedCents
270¢
Hey all I am setting up my first team really eager to learn more but got to thinking about tanks, the SK gets some great perks but in current content its alot of undead and a pally could benefit. Think the undead advantage makes the pally the better pick?

Hey all I am setting up my first team really eager to learn more but got to thinking about tanks, the SK gets some great perks but in current content its alot of undead and a pally could benefit. Think the undead advantage makes the pally the better pick?
I tell people if they don't have strong reasons or opinions already, do sk no doubt. Such a good toolkit for multiboxing. All 3 tanks are viable and capable, however

I tell people if they don't have strong reasons or opinions already, do sk no doubt. Such a good toolkit for multiboxing. All 3 tanks are viable and capable, however
Hey man thanks ima follow your advice and go SK, so this battles on you :p

I received the advice to start an SK as the backbone of my first group and it was solid advice. This is coming from someone who has played a paladin as my main for years.

I mained an SK for many years, but if I were starting fresh on Live I’d probably start paladin. Paladins have always gotten overlooked and a lot of the reasons that SKs became popular (looking at you, swarming) aren’t even there any more.

I used to avoid paladins as a matter of course because I don’t like to watch the group health bars and I didn’t like having to retarget. But with splash and the paladin toolkit (and of course, MQ) that’s not really an issue.

Aggro isn’t really a deciding factor on any of the tanks anymore either. It used to be that SK were aggro masters, but all of that has been changed in the current game.

Plus, with all the aggro drops that every class gets, even the utility of FD on a tank is somewhat moot. SK used to be super cool for being able to train to a spot, FD, pop a merc, rez your mage, and have the mage CoTH everyone. But I almost never do that now. And since it’s a tank, you’re generally not feigning during the fight unless you’ve really screwed up the tanking bit (if you’re the last one standing you did something wrong…and if you FD while everyone else is up, you’re doing something wrong).

If you’re looking for the flashy numbers, paladins are in a really good spot with all the undead (but even outside of that, they bring a lot to the group). All of that is to say, look at the play styles and play what sounds interesting to you. You’re not going to run into anything content wise that one will let you do over the other.

I have groups using all three tanks. All three are viable for group content in my experience. I always tell people to play what you like first. If you don't like playing your team - you are already in a bad place.

My main tank has always been a paladin and I have never looked back. But each has their strong points and varying kit. Want more weapon types - go warrior and duel wield your way to victory. Want a pet and dark magic spells - SK all the way. Want more buffs and crazy stuns - go paladin. All about how you want to play. I loved stunning my way through content on my paladin - made my healers life easy. But the same can be said for a SK with life taps. I will say I generally favor the knights for extra utility that they bring. But a war with defensive disc (and its upgrades later) is a brick wall of good luck getting through that without a jack hammer if the healer is standing.

Pick what you dig and build around it.

I love SK tanks for group content. You dont even need a cleric. A Shaman healer is plenty to add to all the self taps. You will take less damage anyway cause of the slows. Plus all the melee buffs from the Shaman.
Throw on top of that a bard or enchanter. All three get rogue mercs and you are set to start learning like a champ. Make sure to get cleric mercs too for rezzing.

Another plus for the SK is corpse recovery. Summon em and let the cleric mercs rez.

First crew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back