• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Dying in instanced content (1 Viewer)

freeferli

RedCents
831¢
I keep dying in instanced content.
I tried the bixie warfront, and the TBL instanced dungeon.
Both times I died on the first mob.

I went into the warfront with a full group Warr/Clr/Wiz/Shaman/Mage
My warrior hp (buffed) is 57K at lvl 100, highest level char is 101 cleric.

I am assuming it is my gear.
I am not really sure what to do to catch up here.

Last edited:
Yeah see if you can buy Remant of Tranquility in the Bazaar. If none avail, ask to buy in General and PoK. A lot of people will have 1000s in their bank/storage toons. As the expansion is a little old, don't get discouraged if you don't find them right away, it can take a little bit of effort. I used to run a /buyer in Bazaar looking for them 24/7 when I needed them.

The TBM armor is a little weird in that you buy a low stat piece then add powerful TBM only augs to it to make it nice gear. You can also sell it back for some remants when you're done.

The tradable "Castaway" armor set from TDS is a decent 100's set. They can be a little challenging to find as people rarely xp there now that EoK is open for FTP.

Another option is to slow grind to 105 then head to EoK, Frontier Mountains or Lcea zones and watch for people to call rotting armor gear. The Cohorts armor will be a huge upgrade and should be rotting all over the place on weekends.

I have some more info on gear upgrades in this older post.

Last edited:
You say full group, but list 5. If the other one isn't an enchanter then there's your problem.

Try the Gribbles tasks at 100, and the dead hills spot mentioned on this here website is really easy - that can get you to 105 eventually

@vsab I have the enchanter in my other group, and I buffed them ahead of the instance.
Also, I only got 1 mob and died on the first one. The last character is a Ranger.

Thanks @eqtrader74 and @hellfyre I will look for that in the bazaar.

@eqtrader74 you mention Cohorts armor, but that is not listed in the post, how does that compare to the glowing seb armor? which is better, and which is easier to get.
I will park one of my guys in Lceanium? or is there a better zone?
Also, most of my guys (Including my tank) are not "all access", I was trying to cycle my Krono through my guys, how much does that affect this gear?

This heroic gear post has options for tradable gear and non-prestige sets. In general the tier1 set from expansions are non-prestige, but above that will be prestige.

Tradable & non-prestige armor sets
100 - Latent Ether armor (CotF T1) = 2600 hp gear
100 - Castaway armor (TDS T1) = 2800 hp gear
105 - Glowing Seb armor (HH Old Seb - summer Hardcore Heritage event but tradable, Bazaar) = 4200 hp gear
106 - Conflagrant armor/gear (RoS player made) = 4600 hp gear

TBM vendor gear is non-prestige, no trade and availble from lvl 75-105. The tokens, Remnant of Tranquility are tradable, so you can "buy" these sets.
105 TBM Vendor armor & vendor augs = 2700-3300 hp gear. Wide variety of options on aug'n it, so hp varies.

EoK t1/t2 sets (no-trade, must loot and convert from named in EoK or quests)
105 - EoK T1 Cohorts - no-trade armor = 3900 hp gear
105 - EoK T2 no-trade, prestige armor = 4100 hp gear

Glowing Seb is the best you can get at 105 unless you get raid gear or buy the ultra-rares from EoK/RoS. The only downside is Glowing Seb set doesn't count for those charm slots that are based on wearing your class armor.

Cohorts is the easiest to get though, because it often rots to groups exp'n in EoK. You can also get nice weapons and non-vis slots of similar HP values in the different EoK zones. I'd say Frontier Mountains is your best bet. It's fast 5 min respawns, huge zone and popular (maybe too popular.) Lcea is a decent 2nd choice as it's the portal to zone for the expansion, FM is the one you can get to via the xpac portal or guild portal. You can invis and run between them, watching for undead/goblins.

Fellowship: You can also cover rots in all four t1 zones (Lcea/Scorched Woods/FM/Gates of Korsha) by sending 3 toons to the camp in Lcea by the Scorched Woods and three toons to FM camp near the Gates zoneline. Then you can wait or ask for rots bouncing between your zones, and make a quick campfire to port in a toon from the other group if they need a rot.

Once you have your tank in one of the 3-4k hp sets, you should be fine for most content up to EoK t1 zones. Then you can work on aug'n out your tank in AC. I tried Lcea with a tanking Castaway (2800hp) and got run over. I went back and got the TBM tank set and that made it doable. Once you have Cohorts+, it's not too bad at all. I actually run many of my 110 non-tanks in a mix of cohorts/conflag as those are non-prestige and easy to get.

Cycling krono is fine while you're leveling and working on AA. Later you can just sub your tank for prestige augs. You can go the non-prestige aug route too and then skip subs, but subbing the tank makes it easier. Plus you can make your vendor toon on tank account and have a trader/buyer running offline when you're not playing.

Last edited:
Pretty cheap, but it's hard to say. I think I've bought them in the 5p to 20p range per remant. I'm on a very low-pop Live server, so sometimes there's only one person selling any for a week or so.

Also keep in mind I think you need to do a 3 part series of basic quests to unlock the TBM vendors. First two are just run around and hail, but third one is a mini-instance when you need to kill some mobs. Write ups are linked in above link.

This is grindable from 100 to 105 with ROF gear (and autogrant AA): https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/dead-hills-afk-xp.40797/ Really, level is everything. At that DH spot you can also get rares (Centurio etc), which, while prestige is really good stats for a level 100 character.

TBM wise: I wrote a macro for one of the tasks: https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/tbm-progression-seal-of-approval.1178/ but tbh needs a bit of work if you're not shrunk or a smaller race (not good for ogres as you get stuck on things).

Also, I just made this:- https://www.redguides.com/community/forums/strategies.17/

I tried Lcea with a tanking Castaway (2800hp) and got run over. I went back and got the TBM tank set and that made it doable. Once you have Cohorts+, it's not too bad at all. I actually run many of my 110 non-tanks in a mix of cohorts/conflag as those are non-prestige and easy to get.

Past about 95 your tank needs autogrant AA OR top of the line gear, but preferably both. Glowing Seb stuff is really nice, but if you follow the advice above about camping the campers at Bi`fak (it will be on your map if you use Brewalls or Goods' maps) you can pick up their rots and you'll get a full suit in a night. Be polite, though, and shoot them a /tell first time (if they never reply and they leave loot on corpses, it's FFA). Also, you need 105 to equip that gear.

When I approached EOK, I went to Lcea as the "starting zone", big mistake (cockatrice stun, drachnids have snare, yeti hit hard and are high level, giants have way too much HP compared to the others). Frontier Mountains is way easier to start with, and once you're 105 your ranger can HS drogan scalpers. Scorched woods is a pain in the ass too.

Glowing Seb is the best you can get at 105 unless you get raid gear or buy the ultra-rares from EoK/RoS. The only downside is Glowing Seb set doesn't count for those charm slots that are based on wearing your class armor.

TBL Weeping is wearable at 105, have not compare to glowing seb at 105 but it should be better. All TBL T1 is 105 wearable.

@eqtrader74 thanks for the help, but I am a little confused.
The link in your other post now points to TBL progression not TBM progression. And I do not see the actual link for TBM progression that you were trying to reference.

I got 1200 Remnants in the bazaar

I previously did 2 of the run around missions to get the "Mercenary of the plane of health" achievement.
I found this progression guide, but it tells me to do an HA, which I was having trouble doing HAs before.

So I was not clear if those 2 quests were the ones you were talking about or different ones.

When I looked at this vendor, the gear seemed like a significant downgrade. I can not access the augments.
So I was not clear if the gear should be on par with what I would expect to drop at lvl 100, or if it is on par once I have the augments.

So is the vendor that I need to look at for the gear that I want Lyndalin Delwadamain (and upgrade it), or Kamiowe Ordup and I need different set of missions. I assume it was Kamiowe, but reading about him it sounded like he was a faction unlock, not a do missions unlock.

Last edited:
@eqtrader74 thanks for the help, but I am a little confused.
The link in your other post now points to TBL progression not TBM progression. And I do not see the actual link for TBM progression that you were trying to reference.

I got 1200 Remnants in the bazaar

I previously did 2 of the run around missions to get the "Mercenary of the plane of health" achievement.
I found this progression guide, but it tells me to do an HA, which I was having trouble doing HAs before.

So I was not clear if those 2 quests were the ones you were talking about or different ones.

When I looked at this vendor, the gear seemed like a significant downgrade. I can not access the augments.
So I was not clear if the gear should be on par with what I would expect to drop at lvl 100, or if it is on par once I have the augments.

So is the vendor that I need to look at for the gear that I want Lyndalin Delwadamain (and upgrade it), or Kamiowe Ordup and I need different set of missions. I assume it was Kamiowe, but reading about him it sounded like he was a faction unlock, not a do missions unlock.

You need the HA as well to buy the augs. I know this as I had to do exactly that last week on my new warrior.

If you're struggling, try DH xp spot and gain levels. You will get drops, loot and xp.

Ask in general channel on your server to get your tank flagged, it takes me about 15 mins to run that HA and would happily flag someone for the ride. Plenty of bored max aa max level players out there that love helping returning players.

What AA number do you have, what is exactly your gear? Which server? Plenty of RGers help others out in game.

Ah yeah eqresource changed the link on me, it still says TBM but is their TBL write up. Updated with quest links:

Once you've done Temple B, you should have the group level augments available. Like you buy the basic low stat shield, but add this Resp..of the Defender. Check the item slots for the aug before buying, some are limited to only weapons/secondary. There is a high HP one or high AC one for all slots though. Note those augs aren't useful beyond TBM. I recall the earrings I built with TBM augs were better AC than anything until I got the Conflagrant set at 106.

However these type 5 TBM augs (get the +dex or +agil ones, whichever you're maxing first on tank) are non-prestige and great for upgrades until you farm/buy new +stat augs. There are also higher level augs locked on other vendors, but you don't need to do all the stuff to unlock those (maybe raids?)

Also completing the instance tasks rewards your whole group more Remnants. I think finishing Temple B will give all your toons 500 Remants and you can trade them to your tank. Use the Alt Currency tab of the Inventory screen.

OK I will try Temple B tonight when I have time. But I am skeptical, because every time I have mobs that are the same level as me in instanced content I have died on the first mob.

Thanks Guys, Sorry for being so Dense :D

@vsab my problem with the DH zone is that
1) I do not have autogrant on all my guys
2) I am currently dying on lower level content than that
3) I do not have COF gear

But I will try that after I attempt the TBM quest

Last edited:
Well I died on the first mob, but it was close, I am going to try to play around with a few things.
Maybe I will buy some tank gear next time in the AH instead of buying a Krono.

I think that my HP is just not high enough for this, the tank hp kept fluctuating wildly, and eventually I was not able to heal back up to full and he killed me.

I tried DH but I went to the portal instead of Dulak Harbor, and could not get in.

Question - Dying in instanced content

Users who are viewing this thread

Back