• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Dual Core problems.. (1 Viewer)

sgresham

RedCents
I notice windows freezes up randomly whenever I try to use EverQuest now that I have dual core processors. The same shit occurs, but not as often when I use Runfirst ( As reccomended by devs via SoE phonecall ). Is there anything else I could try or do to prevent the freezing altogether, or does anyone happen to know of something else causing this.

I use wineq2 and it helps, before that I configured mq2fps to do 1 frame every 40s for the eq windows in the background and a max of 20 fps in the foreground

I still freeze up randomly even with WinEQ, and Runfirst. Im thinking its a driver problem, seeing as I got my first bluescreen the other day, hinting around the fact my drivers might be screwed up. Any suggestions ?

The problem with dual core processors is that EQ isnt compliant. You dont need any programs to fix this. Solution is when you start the patcher, right click on your taskbar and open up your task manager ( XP is also ctrl alt del ). Then go to the process tab and look for the Everquest.exe process in the list. Its easier to arrange them by clicky on the username tab under processes. When you located the Everquest.exe then right click on it. It will give you a couple options and the one you want is Set Affinity... When you select it you will have the option to have Everquest run off a single processor in your dual core. If you play multiple toons then you will have to do it for each one. Its a bit of a pain in the ass but it works.

My son has a dual core that we just installed EQ on. He will go to the login screen about 4 out of 5 times he changes zones. I was hoping for a little direction in what the proplem might be.

Is this most likely...

A. a dual core issue
B. a windows/software/driver issue
C. a EQ issue (clean reinstall?)
D. a MQ2 issue

This is strictly a zoning problem, everything else works great. He has tried 2 boxing (2 meg ram) and will try 3 tonight.

The issue with most machines and dual core processers is power. You cant double the power requirments of your system and expect your dusty old power supply to keep up. Do a little research and buy a power supply the exceeds your systems max requirments by at least 25% you will be amazed at how much better your system will perform. Also do not just buy the cheap knock-off; "dirty" or unstable power can be just as harmful as not enough.

This has been an issue for me as well. It's not a power issue as I have more than enough there too. It's not the fact of not having the updated drivers either.
I spent the first 2 months trying to fix it and it will still randomly happen. I have used winxp pro 32 and 64bit os's as well. (Neither would give me the set affinity option btw)
I have AMD KN8 SLI FX55 , 4 gig ram, 2x geforce 5500 gt's in sli mode, 600w supply, 32" lcd monitor, 2 sata hd's (Of which the second was solely used for EQ and nothing more than needed to try to fix this problem) etc.
Nothing I have done/found/had checked by "experts" has eliminated the problem. I have ran all the mem tests/vid tests etc.. does really well on them actually)
What I do now to give me more uninterrupted play time is to reduce to 2 accounts and run 2 others on 2ndary pc. I was able to do four accounts on main pc when I added the other HD w/only software on it needed to play eq. I would still get crashes though, just less often. Blue screen at times, other times just freezes.
I have spent countless nights just reading the different sites and other's issues.
As I said, what has worked out for me as being the most reliable is just only playing 2 accounts(3 is still ok, but I just expect trouble) and using my 2ndary or 3rd pc for the others. I dont really like that but its what I've had to "settle" for. Just less aggravation and headaches. I do wish there was a simple fix though, I just haven't seen it.

Still having zoning problem. I have never had any crashes, only problem is going to login when I zone.

I have reinstalled fresh Windows XP (Media Center)

I have tried changing Affinity and Priority but I always get the message that I do not have the priviledges. I can change the Affinity and Priviledges on other apps.

The problem does occur even when I have not used MQ2 since the last reboot. Maybe it happens a little less when I have not been using MQ2 but it happens sporadically either way.

Multiboxing also does not seem to be the cause as it has happened when I 1,2 or 3 box on this computer.

I had a ton of problems when I first got my new dual core system. The solution was to replace my DDR2 800 RAM with DDR2 667 RAM. Since then, all my problems have cleared up and I haven't bluescreened or rebooted once. I rarely even crash out of EQ.

I used to use WinEQ2 but I don't anymore.

I <3 my new Core 2 Duo E6600 beast :) Photoshop loads a lot quicker, even with my boatload of fonts.

I had identical problems until I got ROPE from http://www.innes.org/.

I'm sure there are other ones that are cheaper, but this gives you the idea. I used to be completely unable to 2-box (and people started declining to let me join even as a single because they would constantly have to reinvite me into the group) due to crashing to server select every time I would zone. Now I use WinEQ, EQPlayNice, and ROPE.

I now 6-box for as long as I want to without rebooting. I still reboot every day or so to reduce lag, but I NEVER have crashes anymore. Mine is an Athlon X2.

I use 2 shortcuts to start EQ and alternate them as I load up my 6 characters: 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 so that 3 instances are on the first processor and 3 on the second. NP zoning all 6 at once with my Wiz teleporting.

Good luck. Crashing is real pain.

Permedit overrides privileges and is a free 120 KB application? Oops...thats crazy Mochila, thats fucking crazy you made this exact thread awhile ago with solutions that don't involve going out and spending money !

Hot damn.

Mochila said:
Permedit overrides privileges and is a free 120 KB application? Oops...thats crazy Mochila, thats fucking crazy you made this exact thread awhile ago with solutions that don't involve going out and spending money !

Hot damn.

Thx, will try Permedit

BTW Moch your Permedit thread did not mention "Duo Core" anywhere so that is why I missed it in my search. I bumped your thread and added the possibilty of using it for Duo Core problems.

Link supplied by SS44

http://www.redguides.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=772

Dual Core problems..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back