• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Drag a friend kicking and screaming back to WoW... get a month free. (1 Viewer)

To me the risk provides the enjoyment. It has nothing to do with time played or "shit accomplished" Because if there is no risk at losing what you get... what's the point of getting it? Everyone will have it, or everyone will have better than it, cause there are no backwards steps. So what's even the point of getting it? People with more time will ALWAYS have more than you. Unless there are PvP penalties, and you're good and they suck. Then at least not ALL of the people with more time will have better stuff than you.

I would have guessed. :-D You play games to kill people and for personal achievement. I play games to achieve with friends and socialize. :-D Neither one is wrong, but that is why we don't enjoy the same games. So just because WoW doesn't cater to the KAES type though, doesn't make it a bad game. :-P It works just perfectly for a ASEK like me.

I dunno... I already play with friends, so I don't play *to make friends* which skews me heavily in the other direction on all the Bartle questions. Really, I play MMOs for the politics -- which makes it all about people, and imo, the best way to get them going and keep them interesting is some people gotta be pissed off. The best way to do that is killing em. Repeatedly. And having it cost them. And to be at the top of the chain, you gotta be a killer, and you gotta have achievements. You need that good weapon, or you need those best crafting mats, or you need that top shop location (if say you just play primarily crafting in a game with a robust system). You gotta get to the top to exert influence on the masses. So getting to the top comes a lil ahead of the socializing... but I socialize through being able to affect people, and then playing off how they react to it. Ya know?

I'd never really call myself a drama whore, but I gotta admit, I *thrive* off getting that 10 page forum thread going where someone is pissed at you and them and their 5 friends try to bitch about what you did and 10+ people who aren't even in your guild stand up and shout them down for you. That's MMO gaming for me. And it's not all about laming and griefing people to elicit a response. If you were *just* a griefer, you wouldn't have support except from your douche bag friends. It's about playing the whole game. And by that I mean playing the community. Making enemies, making friends. And it all starts with the killing. Killing people you don't like. Killing people trying to kill your friends.

Meh, I like exerting influence through non combat ways. I like ruining people and making myself powerful through social ties, not brute force. When someoen else is more powerful than you and more skilled than you, none of that matters in the social arena where mob rules.

Mordiceius said:
The gamers of yesterday are growing up. And growing up means we have less time to game. The less time you have to enjoy something = the less risk you want to have at having you enjoyment hampered.

I agree but even games like Vanguard are easily playable by someone with a 40-60 hour a week job (like me) or people with jobs and families. Half of my current guild (100ish members) are 25+ IRL and have wives, children, etc and still manage to get some time in on the game.

Mordiceius said:
Meh, I like exerting influence through non combat ways. I like ruining people and making myself powerful through social ties, not brute force. When someoen else is more powerful than you and more skilled than you, none of that matters in the social arena where mob rules.

See I have similar interests in game to you. I am not a killer. I have been playing VG off and on since release and I have never once attacked someone unprovoked. I don't care about owning people in PvP especially not in solo PvP. In any mmo (with the exception of WoW where I ended up with a rogue main somehow though I did have multiple warriors and a priest at or near 60) I have played I typically play a healer or a tank. Both classes that are very desireable in groups and typically terrible in solo PvP or PvE. I don't play to be able to kill people or even piss people off. I play for the politics.

There is something that PvP adds to a game that you might get a taste of in a non-instanced PvE game like OG EQ. Direct competition. This to me improves gameplay by an assload. I KNOW I am good at PvE in games. I have been playing MMOs for like 8 years. If I wasn't good at it I would have to be mildly retarded. It is no longer a challenge. However kicking the shit out of the next guy's guild and enjoying the ensuing drama just puts things on a whole new level. When it's done even more directly through PvP it just becomes even more entertaining.

I dunno it has never just been about the killing people. Sure pissing folks off who irritate you can be amusing but it's nothing like the ability to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women! (okay so I stole that from conan) There is nothing that prevents you from simply logging on to VG and grouping up with the folks you enjoy hanging with and getting shit done. There is just an added dynamic that adds so much more to what would otherwise just be another boring MMO. *shrug*

good god if you play for the in-game politics, why are you bringing the politics to online web forums? go play some more!

ps.: :3

Sad truth

Although I'm still new to the wow community I am finding myself having less time to play. college starts soon and my job is crap.
The only time I play is when my boyfriend gets home
Meh, i hate tuesdays.
today was my only day off and the servers are down.:(

COME MY FAITHFUL SIDEKICK! TO THE STALKER VAN!

Lemme finish trimming my mullet and sweet stache and I'll be right over with the van.

mullet-2.jpg

Bidness in the front, party in the back, just like the van if you know what I mean!!! YEE HAW!

1459mz6.jpg

good god if you play for the in-game politics, why are you bringing the politics to online web forums? go play some more!

ps.: :3

My work computer is weak! It will not play MMOs. Well I guess I could probably get EQ to run on it. Anything newer would die.

I've always looked at PvP with item loot is easy come, easy go. To me it's not about being the best. It's about getting a happy surprise in every PKing adventure. When EQ's Rallos Zek had item loot, I'd just take people's pants. Taking people's pants was fun because they had to walk around like Hannah Barbera characters. And you know what I say to that?

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Schechter6.gif

I also like that feeling of affecting the world. I think SWG had it at a time but Sony didn't take to long to screw that up. I belive WAR will have a pretty strong group besides the Wow group since it is a very popular IP that is well suited to an MMO (which I don't belive Star Wars really was) and is pretty big in the UK.

I think it's a given that Warhammer will have a strong following. I mean shit people play DAoC and I think it's the worst major release MMO to date. Warhammer at least has a pre-existing fanbase. Mythic would have to seriously fuck up to not at least make *some* money on that.

The real question is will it appeal to people who aren't already WH or Mythic fanboys. If they can pull of a steady game with a really well designed newbie game and real content (not daoc content) for the newbie/mid levels I think they could pick up a good number of subs. If they pull the "RVR is endgame" excuse they used with DAoC and just expect everyone to suffer through some of the most boring PvE ever to get there... Then I don't think they will do too well beyond the people who would play it if it was just Mark Jacobs and Paul Barnette taking turns shitting in DVD cases and shipping it out while it was still warm. *shrug*

Drag a friend kicking and screaming back to WoW... get a month free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back