• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - DPS Question Mage vs Wizard (1 Viewer)

drawthow

RedCents
1,040¢
Hever played a Wizard before. How much more is a Wizards dps compared to a Mage with similar equipment? Really miss not having some way of group transport thinking of switching out a Mage for a Wizard.

Group
Warrior
Monk
Bard
Shaman
Beastlord
Mage | Wizard

Similar, wizards are a little more DPS and seem to have much better mana regen than mages, particularly if you run Gambit style regen. Mage may get more from your group setup though, running Bard/Bst/Sham adds a lot to pet's dmg output.

One option would be to PL a wiz for ports only. I have a melee group that has a spare wiz in their fellowship. So when they need to port, we drop the bard & log in the wizard, wiz uses insignia to port to group's campfire, then joins/ports group, wiz leaves and bard rejoins then bard insignia's to the new campfire.

Similar, wizards are a little more DPS and seem to have much better mana regen than mages, particularly if you run Gambit style regen. Mage may get more from your group setup though, running Bard/Bst/Sham adds a lot to pet's dmg output.

One option would be to PL a wiz for ports only. I have a melee group that has a spare wiz in their fellowship. So when they need to port, we drop the bard & log in the wizard, wiz uses insignia to port to group's campfire, then joins/ports group, wiz leaves and bard rejoins then bard insignia's to the new campfire.
Thank you eqtrader74 good advice. Already have a druid I could use for this. Didn't even think about that.

With that group composition, I would expect Mage to produce higher average DPS than Wiz. Monk masters aura and shaman ADPS will give mage pet a massive boost. Throw bard juice + kitty crack in the mix, it’ll help a mage + pet perform better than wiz imo.

Ports and evac are great utility but so is CoTH. There are lots of other ways to get around these days as mentioned above.

Your shaman will want a Rez stick if he’s performing role of main healer.

Gambit style regen
First, what is gabit style regen?
i think it is hard to compare because to me it not the dps that sets them apart as it is the type/use of dps. The mage can do a lot of damage, yes, but you're comparing him to someone that is meant to be used as a boom stick. If you look them up you will see they have more that add to dps and there spells hit for more I use to play with a guy that boxed a war, enc, and wiz. I have to say he knew his toons very well. He took my three (bard mage cleric) threw quests in TBM when it first came out. He was playing in full screen using alt-tab to switch screens. Got me some Hero's aa points and what a wiz and enc can do. Did not even know I was doing group missions. We dropped the bosses like it was nothing. I was not using mq2 at the time and was playing in split-screen, so most dps came from him. For bonus emphasis on how fast the fights went my cleric keep him healed with 5 lines hotkey that spammed Ardent Light. From what I saw I can tell you that a wiz (boomstick) can be used for bursts of damage. There were a few times where we waited for timers, but he kept it up. I hardly ever get to play with wiz any more and wish more players used them. I have an 85 heric wiz I'm tinkering with an can't seem to find a good guide for them. They can root, snare, stun, more aa that add to dps, and best spell guard.(30% at 110 compared to enc's 20). Wish i could add a wiz account to my group.

Gambit is a wizzy harvest/gather mana type spell that you can use during combat. It boosts your damage then triggers after you cast nukes, and then gives you mana, so you basically cast it whenever it's up and not already on you.

INI:
1: Increase Spell Damage by 9683 (After Crit)
2: Cast on Max Hits: Musing Refreshment II
3: Limit Max Level: 120 (lose 10% per level)
4: Limit Effect: Current Hit Points
5: Limit Type: Detrimental
6: Cast on Duration Fade: Musing Reflection II
7: Limit Max Duration: Instant Spells Only
8: Limit Min Level: 104
9: Limit Max Casting Time: 3s
10: Limit Min Mana Cost: 100

In TBL, due to Naggy's ini optimisations, my mage is outperforming my wizard in DPS consistently. Elsewhere my wiz will outdps the mage, not just during fights but by being able to keep mana up and never having to stop to med. That said, I have both in my main group, they both bring great utility between them.

Yeah Musing Gambit can be used anytime and if nothing else, does a weak mod-rod effect of trading 13k hp for 14k mana.

However if you cast it in combat and get 4 fast cast nukes in on the mob in less than 3 ticks it gives 24K mana. Spells have to be less than 3 second cast (I think that's before cast time reduction AA) and can't be free stuff, must cost some mana.

It's the same timer as Harvest but a much faster cast at 1.5 sec vs Harvest 12 secs, so much better in combat. Gambit also adds a minor +9K dmg to nukes while the buff is active.

So you just have to make sure your ini is setup with conditions to watch for Gambit effect and then swap to fast cast spells until it fades and gives you the mana. eqmule's 110 wiz is setup to use it. There is a version of Gambit for lvls 99, 105 and 110.

Aspire2008 had a great writeup about it during the EoK era. Part I and Part II of his posts.

Last edited:
Wow Thanks for the replies!

Have just gotten back into EQ after about 8 years off. Really glad I found this site great bunch of people and apps!

Thank you everyone.

Question - DPS Question Mage vs Wizard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back