• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Do you run ShowEQ in Windows Subsystem for Linux? (1 Viewer)

Redbot

🖥️💖
RedCents
88,568¢
Pronouns
He/Him
If so, what's your experience?

With MySEQ getting a bit stale, I was wondering if we should push more users to the original SEQ.

I loved ShowEQ, but takes a technical understanding to make work. I’m not sure you can even buy a true network hub anymore. MySEQ is still easier to get up and running.

Its been a while since I looked at ShowEQ, not sure it’s anymore updated than MySEQ

I loved ShowEQ, but takes a technical understanding to make work. I’m not sure you can even buy a true network hub anymore. MySEQ is still easier to get up and running.

Its been a while since I looked at ShowEQ, not sure it’s anymore updated than MySEQ
it's been picked up again in the last year and some good work is being done on map compatibility. Soon you won't need to convert maps, and can just use a multi-layer map like brewall's or good's directly.

Hub is no bueno, use a switch that has port mirroring.

But brainiac is right, the issue is getting your windows traffic into the interface of WSL. I think that would be the only hurdle. It's not going to be user friendly no matter what you do. It also matters whether you're talking about WSL1 or WSL2. For the purposes here we're assuming you're talking about WSL2. WSL2 runs in a virtualized environment managed by a subset of hyper-v, so what you would actually need to do is find some method of either setting promiscuous mode or find some way to do port mirroring in order to directly access the network traffic. As far as I'm aware that would break your net connectivity INSIDE WSL2 since there's not true support for configurable multiple network interfaces in WSL.

The alternative would be to setup a dummy interface and use the shared file system to transfer information from windows using something like npcap to the dummy interface and then reinterpreting that again in WSL2.

None of the above options are user friendly. You can use ShowEQ with VMWare Workstation (probably their other versions too) on a bridged interface with a linux machine to completely run ShowEQ, but that's a lot of overhead and also not very user friendly. Might also have issues with wireless, been a while.

I have a fork of MySEQ that I was working on, here: https://gitlab.com/Knightly1/myseq But I stopped because my next step is to merge the work that eqdialup has done here: https://github.com/eqdialup/MySEQ and there's a lot of "Commit/undo/commit/undo" in that work. But if you were looking for a "Jumping off point" for MySEQ that's the one I would suggest (blatantly self promoting).

Tech - Do you run ShowEQ in Windows Subsystem for Linux?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back