• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Dear SoE (1 Viewer)

It wasn't being nailed, it was what I was nailed for. Complete bullshit.

I came forward to have this bug nerfed, and apparently when they found out it would involve a lot of recoding of some systems to nerf it, they decided to include this little gem in the email.

Your business is no longer welcome in our line of products.

By the way, this bug requires no offsets and works with a basic MQ2. It's like 4 lines long too. I'm not posting code here when I post it though, I'm going to just put up a DLL.

How does the ban bug work and when will it be released TP? who are you refering to TP?
TeachersPet said:
Because I know you read this board.

I'm releasing the banning bug on this website in 48 hours.

Rather interesting they quoted this site.

Off topic:
I sit with LFG on for hours and hours on end, and as a class that can't solo a group is the only real option. I use mq2 to bot a couple classes just so I can progress ( with LFG up while botting), but I would rather play with real people. I just don't see how people progress in this game anymore with the huge downtimes and waiting for groups. SoE is doing some things right by removing the tedium, but not fast enough for me.

I recently read they are trying to put in a out-of-combat flag, ala EQ2, but they are not sure how they can do it without exploits. I played EQ for years without using any cheats and quit, and came back because of MQ2. SoE is making it clear they don't want our business, but they are failing in understanding why we cheat. To me it's to remove flaws with the game. So SoE ban me at will, but I will not play your current product with out it.

Sony has a rule: don't cheat. We all cheat. We all run the risk of getting banned. Regardless of what they banned you for, you were indeed breaking a ton of rules, thus the ban is not unwarranted.

If sony doesn't want our business then let them ban us. There's no reason to go getting other "innocents" banned as well, or even to "stick it to the man" by fucking sony over. They are a business and they have legit customers who have very real concerns about rule breakers.

When you get down to it, they've done nothing wrong. Kinda makes you want to step back and look in the mirror.

Just think about this:

You're in college. College says "no cheating". You cheat and make good grades until one day you're caught cheating. "But who's getting hurt here? My making good grades I didn't earn hurts nobody." So now you're pissed. What do you do? Frame other students for cheating? Burn down the school?

We all run the risk of getting banned because we choose to break the rules. There's no need to grief others and try to bring down the whole system though. They'll un-ban most accounts anyways as a warning.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Vanguard is supposed to be a better game anyways.

Actualy cheating in college and getting good grades hurts the people who didnt get as good grades but earned them. Makes you appear to be a better potential hire as opposed to the person who earned lesser grades. A game is not the same thing at all though.

It actually does hurt the community more than you would think. In the same sense they're one in the same. Everybody wants 1k aas ... those who don't cheat have to invest days/weeks/years of real life time into the game. By getting your afk aa's you devalue everyone elses experience ... when you apply to a guild they see bard/necro/druid etc with 1k aa's and you essentially *trick* them into thinking you have 1k aa's worth of experience.

As far as the other active/passive hacks ... go play on a pvp server for 1 week and then tell me that MQ2 isn't destructive to other people's gameplay and thus the game at large.

I don't personally have anything against most of this stuff as long as you aren't using it to grief others. I see your point about this being a game, but I think you're losing sight of the larger picture. People invest real-life time/money into this game, and a great many of them enjoy the competitive progression aspect of the game. Cheating makes the playing field un-level and pisses rule-abiders off. This is why sony cares.

Any of you play UO/Diablo back in the day? Hacks ruined those games, and they would ruin EQ if sony didn't at least pretend to crack down. In a sense I'm glad that sony does random bannings because it's kept the game going over terrain where many other games died.

Yes and if you take the quoted post in its entirety you'd highlight that I was stating people gain an unfair advantage by cheating over other folk who play the game legitimately. tehseans basically said the college/cheat_for_grade example didn't apply because that's real life and this is a game. Time is money and any time you have 500k-1 million people investing days/weeks/years of time and billions of dollars .. then yes it's not "just a game". To many this game is a lifestyle ... especially to those who carve out 4-6 hours daily to xp/raid. In both cases you're essentially getting the same thing: something for nothing (or in the case of those who actually program and develop the stuff ... something for 'less').

Blah I'm really afraid i'm coming off as anti-cheating here and that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm simply pointing out that our rule breaking does have a negative effect on the community and therefore sony has to ban folks to keep it all in line. We all knew the risks when we started. Releasing harmful shit into the game as "payback" for getting banned for something you agreed you wouldnt do (the I accept button) is really just bad form.

Just like I hold no animosity towards the cop who pulls me over for doing 100 on the interstate, i hold no animosity towards Sony if they ban me. I knew the rules. The rules are there for a good reason. I chose to break them. Yeah I'll be upset about it, but ultimately the only person to be upset with is oneself.

Vanguard's shaping up to be a better game anyways. Someday I'd probably thank sony for not letting me waste any more time in a game I'm too hopelessly addicted to quit

Trust me I know that you can get banned for cheating I lost 5 accounts with the last ban, and I've already geared up another toon. I honestly don't blame sony for trying to stop cheaters, but at the sametime I don't see why they choose to do so now. It went on for YEARS with them knowing about it. Now there almost more cheaters per server than legit players, so by banning 1 cheater you're actually losing 3+ accounts most people who "cheat" are boxers. Banning me for instance is harsh if I decide to quit there goes like 12-15 accounts lol.

I know you got banned tone and I was sorry to hear it :(

When you think about it though more people cheat now than ever before. I never even knew MQ existed until about a year ago, and when I started my self-compiles I honestly only knew of 2 or 3 people that used it and nobody knew wtf MQ2 was. Maybe sony didn't crack down so much because it wasn't such a problem back in the day.

MQ2, hack, hax, warp, ghost ... all of this is now widely known to the general public and is common everyday lingo.

Why now?

Think about what I said earlier. Mass hacking in UO/Diablo etc spelled the end for those game. Nobody wanted to play in a world run by afk bots. Nobody will want to play eq if the rules of the game do not exist. Perhaps Sony is smarter than we give them credit for and are trying to nip the problem in the bud before it becomes 100% rampant in the game and

Assume 30% of EQers actively use MQ2 right now. If unchecked it could grow to 50-80% ... maybe even 100% within a few months to a year. If they fix the problem now and scare/ban it down to 5-10% and keep that number low, they can keep EQ from going belly-up like those other games before it. Honestly they could even amputate the 30% theoretically and still be ahead in the long run. Yes they lose a large subscription base, but they also increase the lifespan of their game. Just a thought and a guess though.

Maybe sony mass banning isn't sony being stupid, but actually sony being very smart and preparing for rough waters ahead. Besides, if they can scare the MQers now into stopping MQ with hard suspension and new wellknown anti-cheat coding, perhaps they can even cut down on MQ usage without killing their player base. I've heard that many of the banned accounts may be given second chances anyways.

/shrug

Just like I hold no animosity towards the cop who pulls me over for doing 100 on the interstate, i hold no animosity towards Sony if they ban me.

So you go tell that cop that you have found a way to modify your vehicle so that while you are doing 100 his gun will only register 65. He then issues you a ticket for doing 100 because since you had the knowledge you were guilty. Don't think that would work out to well.

/sigh

Ted ... while I don't agree with the actual "crime" TP was ultimately busted for, she/he was indeed an active hacker. The methodology behind sony's ban was wrong, but the end result was not unwarranted. In sony's mind it was obviously as good as a confession.

Guy X goes out and murders 15 people and is never caught. Guy X then, trying to be helpful for some reason, hints to police that other people are using certain methods for killing people to get away with it (not the same methods Guy X used mind you). Police deduce that Guy X is a murderer and sentence him to death. Yeah the authorities were wrong in their methodology, but Guy X ultimately "deserved" the punishment he got.

I am sory that you got banned. It sucks. You've always been helpful here. I'd be far more sympathetic if this thread and the released hack had never appeared. This blatant retaliation will do nothing but harm the MQ2 community with further bannings and increased alert .... not to mention harm the general eq community via wrongful bannings and ultimately a weakened player/game base.

This is a TP-wins everyone-else-loses scenario. I'm glad you got your "revenge" ... but in the process you just made things worse for everyone.

KeithClancy said:
This blatant retaliation will do nothing but harm the MQ2 community with further bannings and increased alert .... not to mention harm the general eq community via wrongful bannings..

Couldn't have said it better myself :P That's exactly how I feel.

Active hacker or not, TP was trying to give them a hand. They kicked him in the junk for his trouble. So now instead of people wanting to help them out by finding these things and telling them about it they won't. At a summit a while back they were proclaiming they wanted to stop active hacking but needed to know how and where it was being done and if anyone had information on it they would like for them to divuldge it. They wanted source code, they wanted explanations. This is an instance of that and the result is this. They only shot themselves in the foot yet again.

My fustration with Sony is long standing and the only reason I continue to give them business is because the product itself entertains me and has given me a lot of new friends that I do not wish to leave. However their continued incompitence in handeling things is getting to the point where my money is better spent on a case of beer to get over the withdrawl. Sony is a piss poor company, instead of taking things that people do to improve their game play and trying to impliment them into the game in a fair manner they would rather loose those folks. And instead of taking input from people on potential problems they would rather tell them to piss off and pretend the situation doesn't exist.

LOL they are worse than politicians. To bad we aren't motivated enough to shoot them. These are people I wouldn't mind hunting if it were legal and I didn't have to go outside. SoE CEO's head mounted on my wall...ahhh good thoughts. Could get him stuffed with a model of Boy George taking him from behind too, would be a good conversation peice.

Here is the thing, we all know EQ is one big timesink. I like progessing with a guild, I like socializing, and more recently I like writing macros and figuring out cheats. But, the heart of EQ is boring and repetative because they can't code content fast enough. Vanguard will be no different in that respect. I do plan to play Vanguard, and I do not plan to using any cheats. If the games makes me feel I need to start macroing and cheating to progress I will just quit the game (like i did eq2) because it will have failed me personally.

They must have started bonusing on finding cheaters because for years SoE has been apathetic. I have seen people cheat, train, and etc. to be reported by many many people just to see them day after day doing this same thing.

Again, SoE really needs to ask itself why people cheat. I would suspect if a couple featurs of mq2 were implemented it would stop many from using it.

Here is what I like to see:
I stated in another thread (and others have as well) shared no drop should be in the game. (might happen)
Flaggin/keying should go accross the account or at least several toons. (might happen)
All info on spells (not very likely to happen)
Allowed to warp a couple times per day (highly unlikely to happen)
MQ2 Mapping (highly unlikely to happen, maybe for a tracking class)
A TON better solo progression for non-soloing classes. Balanced so grouping is better, but not 10x. IMHO soloing an AA an hour is about right, and I not talking stuppid tasks or dumb MM. Shourds and MM were good for one thing: exploits until nerfage. I built a character up so i can play it!

That's all I can think of for now;)

EQ is cheap entertainment though.. Think of how far your $ goes when you play eq. $15 bucks a month and you can play for HOURS on end. Take a girl to a movie and you already wasted $18 on the movie, and then you're going to have to feed them there's another $20. More importantly there is a chance that for a few hours and $38 you might not get laid !

I use to play EQ legit in the dark of hacking, and I absolutely loved it. I usually cheat at every game I play, because it's just more fun that way. That was probably the one thing that got me hooked on EQ I didn't have to cheat to make it fun. This was back on vallon zek pre-kunark though when the game ruled. Now EQ is too repeative take GoD for example. They use that fucking ghost model that most of us love to kite in vxed WAY TOO FUCKING MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back in the days of Naggy and Vox you were like holy shit that dragon is awesome. DoN kind of brought back the awe to EQ, but it has lost it's luster and to me cheating makes the game fun for me now, so that is what I do. When cheating goes away and the game sucks period I will probably go away too, unless I can find a way to get laid for $38 online !

I agree Cheating is breaking the rules but rules exist to be broken
But banning you because you re running circles in an old un-crowdy place to get no more than XP is completly stupid to me
What is bad in that ?
Are you hurting other players ? NO
Are you disturbing them? NO
Are you ganking some special stuff many need? NO
Are you preventing them from playing/moving/looting/XPing/having fun...and so on ? NO

Running circles in a far dead end zone is not the same as camping fucking big bosses to get the best stuff in game : matter of degree

I know that cheating is bad but i don t interfere in others game play so leave me alone :cool:

KOKKOR said:
I agree Cheating is breaking the rules but rules exist to be broken
But banning you because you re running circles in an old un-crowdy place to get no more than XP is completly stupid to me
What is bad in that ?
Are you hurting other players ? NO
Are you disturbing them? NO
Are you ganking some special stuff many need? NO
Are you preventing them from playing/moving/looting/XPing/having fun...and so on ? NO

Running circles in a far dead end zone is not the same as camping fucking big bosses to get the best stuff in game : matter of degree

I know that cheating is bad but i don t interfere in others game play so leave me alone :cool:

~insert aplause here~

Dear SoE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back