• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - DanNet vs EQBC (1 Viewer)

Solution
If you’re new and learning, use dannet due to the low config and flexibility. (As dewey said, neither will give you CPU issues).

If you have a more complicated network setup and do things like spanning subnets you might need EQBC (since dannet is local network only).

They can both work side by side though, so it’s not a big deal, just no sense learning the EQBC commands if dannet works for you. If you already know EQBC then you’re likely only “switching” to dannet when there’s something you need or a script that requires it.
what I understood there is no "vs". Dannet for me seems much more reliable. I switched several month ago and am still happy with that decision. Somewhere on the boards here I found a table, which had a "translation" for any possible EQBC-command to the Dannet-syntax. After having translated my Hotbutton I was happy and never felt the urge, to go back.

As with many things the answer depends. You can run both side by side.

Nether EQBC or DanNet have a significant impact on your CPU usage.

If all you are using EQBC or DanNet for are issuing commands the differences are minimal.

The real question you need to ask is:

Do I need either or both for the tools I want to use?

To dive into the weeds the major differences are:

DanNet is more of a "on demand" service. It does not require a server so its easier to get started and go.

EQBC requires you to setup a server and have each MQ client connect to it so you need to know a little bit about network addresses to get it setup and running.

EQBC has been around a long time and the original author wrote several plugins such as MQ2NetBots which uses EQBC to pass data between clients. The data it sends is defined at compile time so if you want to add a new field you have to get someone to change the source code.

DanNet on the other hand is designed to flexible with regard to the data it sends. This means its only pushing the data you need for your script. This makes it lighter weight.

I've run EQBC with 40+ clients across 3x machines with no problems so neither one really pushes enough data to cause network issues.

I'm very use to /bcaa /bct /bcga commands, but I read somewhere that using EQBC server can affect CPU usuage. Is this correct and also are there any pro's to using danNet vs eqbcs?
the older versions of eqbcs/eqbcs2/eqbcswhatever definitely did have some issues

the new eqbcs (which rg ships) had some work done by knightly and > for me < those issues went away.

I personally still use both - but if someone were to ask me which to use if just using 1, I would suggest dannet

If you’re new and learning, use dannet due to the low config and flexibility. (As dewey said, neither will give you CPU issues).

If you have a more complicated network setup and do things like spanning subnets you might need EQBC (since dannet is local network only).

They can both work side by side though, so it’s not a big deal, just no sense learning the EQBC commands if dannet works for you. If you already know EQBC then you’re likely only “switching” to dannet when there’s something you need or a script that requires it.

Solution
I have gotten used to the Dannet commands. Just takes some getting used to. I'm wondering do i still need to start the EQBC server when launching MQ if i'm using Dannet?
nope... Dannet is peer to peer, so no server to speak of.. whereas the EQBC server is the central server that each client communicates through..

So once you move to dannet , no more external eqbc server application needed..

I am returning to EQ and am a multiboxer.
I have used EQBC in the past, so I knew what I was doing a long time ago (now I am an old newbie).
My question is simple.
EQBC2 or Dannet?
I am running 1 account per PC and multiple PC's.
So which to use in order to span across PC's on same network.
No I do not want all accounts on 1 PC.

I am returning to EQ and am a multiboxer.
I have used EQBC in the past, so I knew what I was doing a long time ago (now I am an old newbie).
My question is simple.
EQBC2 or Dannet?
I am running 1 account per PC and multiple PC's.
So which to use in order to span across PC's on same network.
No I do not want all accounts on 1 PC.
dannet is the "standard" these days

either or both is fine.

also - due to your circumstances I want to let you know that MQ does not support Truebox servers

MQ is not supported on Truebox servers. If/When a server transitions into "relaxed truebox" or complete removal of truebox restrictions, MQ support would be added at *sometime* afterwards.

> Here is the link to the sticky <

Other tools such as MySEQ and IonBC are available for truebox servers.

I had trouble with the transition from EQBCS to DanNet too, but found that keeping the wiki up and setting a few things up that it became easier to handle.

I had some stranger connect to my EQBCS server one day.... was very strange. Glad to not have it anymore.

How did that happen? What sort of network configuration do you have that would allow someone that level of access?
I'm inclined to agree here lol. They'd have needed to punch in that specific computers local ip, or have accessed it from the network externally by IP after you had forwarded the port to the specific device. They'd also need to have EQ, and known you were using eqbc. So I'd be interested to know as well.

I'm inclined to agree here lol. They'd have needed to punch in that specific computers local ip, or have accessed it from the network externally by IP after you had forwarded the port to the specific device. They'd also need to have EQ, and known you were using eqbc. So I'd be interested to know as well.
Inside job for sure

No idea how it happened. I was playing on a private server with a mass distribution eqbc client. I bet it was the server admin messing around. Could have done a lot of damage to the character.
I stopped playing on that server asap.

No idea how it happened. I was playing on a private server with a mass distribution eqbc client. I bet it was the server admin messing around. Could have done a lot of damage to the character.
I stopped playing on that server asap.
Yah so definitely not anything "normal".

Question - DanNet vs EQBC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back