• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Crashing Issue (1 Viewer)

RedCents
220¢
Hey guys,

1st off, thank you so much for the work you all put in to this, it totally revived EQ for me.

I'm having a crashing issue with random chars. It's normally when I've left grind running for a while and usually just before zoning in to an instance.

I run a 6 box, 5 of which I use CWTN and then KA for my bard. I don't get any error messages, just a closed window and a LD char. I'm still relatively new to it all so I'm not really sure about files I should be looking for or what an error would look like in a log. It only started happening 2 nights ago. I'm not running any extra luas or anything while I'm using grind except having button master open.

I'm about 90% sure it's not my hardware, since it's been fine up until now. I run a gaming laptop with 2tb SSD, windows 11, intel i7-11800H @ 2.3GHz, 16GB ram and and RTX 3070 GPU. I haven't changed anything on my anti virus etc.

Any ideas anyone? Halp :(

Hey guys,

1st off, thank you so much for the work you all put in to this, it totally revived EQ for me.

I'm having a crashing issue with random chars. It's normally when I've left grind running for a while and usually just before zoning in to an instance.

I run a 6 box, 5 of which I use CWTN and then KA for my bard. I don't get any error messages, just a closed window and a LD char. I'm still relatively new to it all so I'm not really sure about files I should be looking for or what an error would look like in a log. It only started happening 2 nights ago. I'm not running any extra luas or anything while I'm using grind except having button master open.

I'm about 90% sure it's not my hardware, since it's been fine up until now. I run a gaming laptop with 2tb SSD, windows 11, intel i7-11800H @ 2.3GHz, 16GB ram and and RTX 3070 GPU. I haven't changed anything on my anti virus etc.

Are you using ISboxer for the boxes? Or are you just alt tabbing? If using ISBoxer make sure you use the CPU "round robin" function when setting up the character profiles to assign the cores appropriately. If not using ISBoxer, make sure you set CPU affinity to one core per account. You can even create batch jobs to assign the affinity per box so you don't have to manually do it each time. I have found this helped myself at one point in the past deal with crashes and a couple others that did the same thing.

Worth a shot?

Hey guys,

Sounds like an EQ memory leak. 16GB is low for 6 characters.

Re: Anti-virus.... you def want to exclude the EQ folder and the MQ folder from AV scans.

I also experience these kinds of issues with a character blowing out for no reason. It's random and thankfully rare in my case. Although my bard running KA also seems to be the most likely to get blown out.

I don't have a solution to offer you, other than trying to ensure your MQ environment is as clean as possible. By this I mean edit your character INI file and remove goofy and unnecessary things. By "goofy" I mean things that don't offer much utility. For example Necromantic Dragon Bone or Vicious Rabbit. And then delete all the extra lines and set the Size parameter to exactly match what you're actually using. This will force you to ensure your line numbers are correct. For example, if your bard has 12 buffs, then make sure it's numbered Buffs1 through Buffs12 and that BuffsSize=12. Do that for each KA section. And turn off unnecessary sections like Cures and GoM and AE and Aggro if you don't use them.

Then also do a /plugin list and verify every plugin is necessary. For example if you never auto forage then make sure you /plugin mq2forage unload. Yes, this can be tricky so you might have to do some research. But things like CTWN and Kissassist will usually load whatever plugins they require and you'll learn quickly which plugins are mandatory like mq2nav and mq2moveutils.

The goal is to run as lean as possible which reduces the opportunities for bugs to raise their ugly heads.

Sounds like an EQ memory leak. 16GB is low for 6 characters.

Re: Anti-virus.... you def want to exclude the EQ folder and the MQ folder from AV scans.

^^This. AV software is weird. I have even seen where everything is cool, then one day it decides something is unsafe and then the program. Varies from brand to brand of AV. But, yes, exclude those directories for sure just in case is always a great idea.

I also experience these kinds of issues with a character blowing out for no reason. It's random and thankfully rare in my case. Although my bard running KA also seems to be the most likely to get blown out.

I don't have a solution to offer you, other than trying to ensure your MQ environment is as clean as possible. By this I mean edit your character INI file and remove goofy and unnecessary things. By "goofy" I mean things that don't offer much utility. For example Necromantic Dragon Bone or Vicious Rabbit. And then delete all the extra lines and set the Size parameter to exactly match what you're actually using. This will force you to ensure your line numbers are correct. For example, if your bard has 12 buffs, then make sure it's numbered Buffs1 through Buffs12 and that BuffsSize=12. Do that for each KA section. And turn off unnecessary sections like Cures and GoM and AE and Aggro if you don't use them.

Then also do a /plugin list and verify every plugin is necessary. For example if you never auto forage then make sure you /plugin mq2forage unload. Yes, this can be tricky so you might have to do some research. But things like CTWN and Kissassist will usually load whatever plugins they require and you'll learn quickly which plugins are mandatory like mq2nav and mq2moveutils.

The goal is to run as lean as possible which reduces the opportunities for bugs to raise their ugly heads.

^^This too. I personally like neat and tidy.

Hey guys,

Usually happens to me after long sessions of multiple toons running. When they start dropping like flies, I do a full shutdown, make sure I'm up to date and resart.

I had an issue when running grind which sounds similar, I would return to check on dudes (or pop up my main PC in between episodes of netflix) and find the group sitting still, and 1 (or 2) accounts out of the 6 LD'd. They would show as online in the group, but I couldn't tab into their eq window and had to force close the eq instance via task manager.

After some interweb searching it seemed to suggest the PC turning the monitor on/off into and out of sleep mode would cause a crash (not the PC into sleep, that is set to never sleep). Some weird issue with the monitor (or sound output some web posts suggested) flipping between on/off was causing the LD. I set my screen to never sleep, and the problem went away. I intend to dig deeper, but since the problem stopped and I haven't had the time yet to go digging I am stuck with leaving the monitor on when /grind is on. Weird problem, and a weirder fix, but I can only assume when the monitor transitions it has a chance to hang up an instance of EQ for some strange reason.

I had an issue when running grind which sounds similar, I would return to check on dudes (or pop up my main PC in between episodes of netflix) and find the group sitting still, and 1 (or 2) accounts out of the 6 LD'd. They would show as online in the group, but I couldn't tab into their eq window and had to force close the eq instance via task manager.

After some interweb searching it seemed to suggest the PC turning the monitor on/off into and out of sleep mode would cause a crash (not the PC into sleep, that is set to never sleep). Some weird issue with the monitor (or sound output some web posts suggested) flipping between on/off was causing the LD. I set my screen to never sleep, and the problem went away. I intend to dig deeper, but since the problem stopped and I haven't had the time yet to go digging I am stuck with leaving the monitor on when /grind is on. Weird problem, and a weirder fix, but I can only assume when the monitor transitions it has a chance to hang up an instance of EQ for some strange reason.
this is an eq issue - eq has an issue with devices going to sleep - you can even make EQ crash by unplugging certain USB media devices (like a headset)

Thanks guys. Sorry for the late response. Wanted to test some more before I posted again. It appears it's when my laptop wants to go into idle mode. My antivirus starts doing stuff when i haven't touched anything for a while and it seems to be that that's crashing EQ. I poked about my sleep settings and it's stopped doing it now.

Thank you guys for the responses. Not an MQ2/grind issue at all <3

Problem - Crashing Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back