• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Concerning Seeking the Sorcerer mission (1 Viewer)

Wurmdal

RedCents
980¢
Hello everyone,

I 've watched the video made by Sic on Seeking the Sorcerer and decided I could give it a try. I've died three times in a row. I really don't understand considering what Sic says about his toons. My team is 115, with ToV t3 crafted gears, not full AA but full for what is important (AC, HP, healing, all the focus i use, the synergies, etc), Velium infused weapons or Ice encrusted, a good deal of Rk 2 spells and abilities, maybe I forget something. The thing is I don't have a clue considering the easiness shown by Sic's toons. Just bad luck ? Or I am missing something. I should also say i have the same group with the CWTN plugins.
On a side note my bard on Kissassist isn't casting his aura anymore. If i cast it manually, it appears on the his aura window, but not in the song window of any toon. Should have add that i have a toothache.......pretty f. day !

Hello everyone,

I 've watched the video made by Sic on Seeking the Sorcerer and decided I could give it a try. I've died three times in a row. I really don't understand considering what Sic says about his toons. My team is 115, with ToV t3 crafted gears, not full AA but full for what is important (AC, HP, healing, all the focus i use, the synergies, etc), Velium infused weapons or Ice encrusted, a good deal of Rk 2 spells and abilities, maybe I forget something. The thing is I don't have a clue considering the easiness shown by Sic's toons. Just bad luck ? Or I am missing something. I should also say i have the same group with the CWTN plugins.
On a side note my bard on Kissassist isn't casting his aura anymore. If i cast it manually, it appears on the his aura window, but not in the song window of any toon. Should have add that i have a toothache.......pretty f. day !
biggest thing is just attacking right away (not waiting until some arbitrary 98% - i keep all my cwtn plugins at 100%), and moving out of poop. since the point of trying to brute force it is the most damage in the shortest timeframe, you want maximum uptime.

it was pretty easy to zerk in tov gear - so if you're in cov gear and aa/spells you should definitely be able to ignore everything and beat it down fast.

AAs are pretty important - with the way that focus abilities work, they don't scale at all until a certain rank compared to the abilities/spells.

so if your team is super under AA'd, they can be leaving a ton of dps on the table.

AAs, Augs, Gear, Spells -> all are super important. you can definitely do it wht appropriate level / tier gear - but if you are doing it with AAs or augs from 3+ years ago, you're likely going to have more challenges.

they've said they do design group content around gear geared/equipped characters, but that does assume respective augs and AAs.

you can also pop tank glyph early on for extra surviability.

as with anything that you don't succeed at - the first thing would be to find what is causing the failure, and then backtrack for a root cause.

are you not moving out of stuff?
are you just killing too slowly?
are you silver and forgot to re-krono so your dude is getting 1 shot since all his prestige gear isn't actually being worn?
etc.

Hello everyone,

Are you picking up the poop that comes after the red? circle, and clicking it to get the minis to ignore your group?

What Robban said above, there is a hotkey you can make to pickup the item(not at my computer to check on it, maybe someone else has it). The second you have it toss it away from your group.

hotkey
/itemtarget lichen
/pause 10, /click left item
/autoinv

then once u have first one hotkey it on bar. its a drop circle

when i do it, I park in behind the second named, pull first named to there, i dont turn off burns or anything. i just kill them, keep clicking that hotkey and drp the ooze when you can get it.

pretty easy at that point

I remember struggling with this one with my team in ToV gear, no matter what strategy/positioning I used. Once I got my CoV gear and lots of AAs it became simple with no strategy, just burn it down. Maybe you need more AAs, or at least more of the right ones.

@Wurmdal do you know what your Dps is? If you have adequate DPS, then the trick to this one is just practice. Use the hotkey above, then remember that once you right click the poo, you can click anywhere on screen where it shows up green. It doesn’t matter where you send the grummii because that poo will distract them for 60 sec or until another one becomes available to grab and click

I too have had trouble with that mission. I think I will need to burn a tank glyph cause I can't get anywhere near 9k AC. I haven't tried it in a while because I am trading 1 zerker for a new bst i am leveling up. It drives me nuts tho because I drop Grik in one drop about 35 secs of killing. FYI you you all that want to know if you can get grik down to 24% health he doesn't seem to fly back up. So if you are doing him and you are getting close to that 24% mark keep trying. There is some strange thing that will sometimes happen as well where he will fly back up after 5 secs for some reason. When that happens I just kill the adds and wait for him to land again. I haven't figured out what causes that one yet.

I too have had trouble with that mission. I think I will need to burn a tank glyph cause I can't get anywhere near 9k AC. I haven't tried it in a while because I am trading 1 zerker for a new bst i am leveling up. It drives me nuts tho because I drop Grik in one drop about 35 secs of killing. FYI you you all that want to know if you can get grik down to 24% health he doesn't seem to fly back up. So if you are doing him and you are getting close to that 24% mark keep trying. There is some strange thing that will sometimes happen as well where he will fly back up after 5 secs for some reason. When that happens I just kill the adds and wait for him to land again. I haven't figured out what causes that one yet.
It's actually 30% and upon him reaching that HP threshold triggers a 2nd phase of the fight. He stays on the ground but will continually spawn adds as long as he's alive and at a faster and faster rate than normal.

Thank you all. First i've made a mistake. I'm not having the same group, my healer is a shaman. First two try he was on DPS stance, so i thought "this is it" and ran back to the NPC with my healer healing. You know the result.
Someone is talking of 9K in AC, i'm closer to 7.5K, huge difference. So if really you need that AC i understand why i've failed. Second thing I let the plugins burn, so he burn at the first mob. Finaly i didn't concern myself with the thing on the floor (influenced by sic video), worst i didn't even see it.

Thank you all. First i've made a mistake. I'm not having the same group, my healer is a shaman. First two try he was on DPS stance, so i thought "this is it" and ran back to the NPC with my healer healing. You know the result.
Someone is talking of 9K in AC, i'm closer to 7.5K, huge difference. So if really you need that AC i understand why i've failed. Second thing I let the plugins burn, so he burn at the first mob. Finaly i didn't concern myself with the thing on the floor (influenced by sic video), worst i didn't even see it.
These days I use a shm, and I do and did that event the exact same way.

In the video I do verbalize that you have to move out of the poo. So...

And shm "stance" is just spell load out, it doesn't change behavior or priorith. Just what spells you menorize. If you want more heal spells memorized over some dps spells, don't be in dps stance.

But sounds like you're figuring out why you're failing. You'll get it

These days I use a shm, and I do and did that event the exact same way.

In the video I do verbalize that you have to move out of the poo. So...

And shm "stance" is just spell load out, it doesn't change behavior or priorith. Just what spells you menorize. If you want more heal spells memorized over some dps spells, don't be in dps stance.

But sounds like you're figuring out why you're failing. You'll get it

Like i said english isn't my native tongue, so i didn't get it in tour video :) (Never lived in a english country just learn in books and TV shows).

One more question: when you die in these missions there are no possible rez right, cause i took a hard hit with the 3 wipes ?

Anyway thanks all for these insights.

Like i said english isn't my native tongue, so i didn't get it in tour video :) (Never lived in a english country just learn in books and TV shows).

One more question: when you die in these missions there are no possible rez right, cause i took a hard hit with the 3 wipes ?

Anyway thanks all for these insights.
some missions you can fellowship back in, but most you can not. so it is usually good to just toss a fellowship outside the zone in.

for missions that you can zone in, or if you need a little oomph, you can use an empowered fellowship for some extra buffs

some missions you can fellowship back in, but most you can not. so it is usually good to just toss a fellowship outside the zone in.

for missions that you can zone in, or if you need a little oomph, you can use an empowered fellowship for some extra buffs

Sorry but what is a fellowship ? i was playing the game 20 years ago, but i came back not so long ago and i 'm still a noob.
And how do you use glyph, i've just bought one and cannot find it.

Last edited:
Sorry but what is a fellowship ? i was playing the game 20 years ago, but i came back not so long ago and i 'm still a noob.
And how do you use glyph, i've just bought one and cannot find it.
Glyphs are on page 4 of AA's (special tab). It will say glyph of destruction (thats dps one) and Glyph of dragon scales (damage mitigation). make a hotkey, and then click it, gives you the buff for 2 minutes (destruction), or 5 minutes (dragon scales).

intensity of the resolute (same tab) gives you a 1 minute dps, but doesnt stack with destruction glyph (alt act 487 if you want to make a team key).

Glyphs are on page 4 of AA's (special tab). It will say glyph of destruction (thats dps one) and Glyph of dragon scales (damage mitigation). make a hotkey, and then click it, gives you the buff for 2 minutes (destruction), or 5 minutes (dragon scales).

intensity of the resolute (same tab) gives you a 1 minute dps, but doesnt stack with destruction glyph (alt act 487 if you want to make a team key).

Ok thanks. But how to upgrade. The glyph i've bought (dragon Scales) is lvl 70-84 and it says buy the lvl 85 rank. I've googled but find nothing. It is surely a dumb question but i'm clueless.
And thanks Sic for the link i will have to peruse it.

Ok thanks. But how to upgrade. The glyph i've bought (dragon Scales) is lvl 70-84 and it says buy the lvl 85 rank. I've googled but find nothing. It is surely a dumb question but i'm clueless.
And thanks Sic for the link i will have to peruse it.
Have to keep buying ranks until its at your level band (so max ranks). Then when its used, it drops back a rank, and have to rebuy @45 AAs

@Wurmdal is you buy the glyph aa, it should have (85-89) in brackets next to it. Each time you purchase it, it will move up to the next level until you get to the level/rank that says 115 in it.

You don't "need" 9k for any of the ToV missions, hell, a lot of people are doing CoV with 9k.

I did them all in TBL group gear at lv 111 to 113, probably more like 8k at the time.

Like i said english isn't my native tongue
Your English is great. Nice job putting yourself out there to get your answers. Keep at it, you'll get there.

I struggled with this mission in era, so I dropped my ENC, MNK, SHM for a BRD and 2 ZERkS. Double my dps then I burned it down a million times for augs
I struggled with this with SHD, CLR, ENC, MAG, MAG, MAG, swapped to SHD, CLR, MAG, BRD, BER, BER and never looked back.

Hello everyone,

I am in TOV tier 3 visible and tier 2 non all 115 and pretty much maxed AA's. My group is Pally, Shammy, Bard, Zerk, Zerk, Rog.

I struggled for awhile with it but here is how I manage it now. Burn on the first mob (Restless Tipley) and then pop Glyph of Destruction on Icebound. He is the key, since he has many more HPs than the other two mobs. I will say, once I got my HDex up to 1700+ on all my DPS guys, it got much easier. I ignore all game mechanics, other than move out of the red area, and just DPS it. My Pally has zero issues holding up, btw.

Last edited:
Burn on the first mob (Restless Tipley) and then pop Glyph of Destruction on Icebound. He is the key, since he has many more HPs than the other two mobs. I will say, once I got my HDex up to 1700+ on all my DPS guys. it got much easier. I ignore all game mechanics, other than move out of the red area, and just DPS it. My Pally has zero issues holding up, btw.

My two zerks have about 1000 in HDex so this clearly explains a lot.
Concerning the mobs, isn't the third supposed to be tougher. I thought you have to keep burn for him ?

My two zerks have about 1000 in HDex so this clearly explains a lot.
Concerning the mobs, isn't the third supposed to be tougher. I thought you have to keep burn for him ?
It's kind of a catch 22. You need to do the Sorcerer mission to get $$ to buy type 5 augs with HDex and you need good HDex to DPS your way through the mission.

I definitely think you want to Glyph the second mob, Icebound Bledrek. He has double the HPs of the first and third mobs (135K vs 67K). If you drag out the fight with him, you get more adds so glyph him at the start of the fight. I burn mob one and have some burn left for mob two, then glyph mob 2 and have some glyph left for mob 3. It has worked out well for me.

Last edited:
Super ! Thx.
Actually the first time the thing didn't update, don't know why. Messed something probably :)
Basically easy way to do this fight using mechanics. is go back behind second guy and setup group. trigger and pull first guy to there. make the macro i listed above. when he emotes he spits or something liek that at a character, start hitting hotkey and watch your mq2 window. it will tell you if ur not close enough to the item to pickup.

once you pick it up right lcick and place it.
otehr than that its just dps.

i did this in full t1 tov gear (level 114 at that time) just have to keep using the hotkey and using the item it picks up.

hotkey
/itemtarget lichen
/autoinv

then once u have first one hotkey it on bar. its a drop circle

when i do it, I park in behind the second named, pull first named to there, i dont turn off burns or anything. i just kill them, keep clicking that hotkey and drp the ooze when you can get it.

pretty easy at that point

Ok i'm dumb. I've tried the macro with an iron ration and it said "no item targeted, use itemtarget <theid> before issuing a /click left|right command". I don't know what "theid" mean. What's gone wrong ? To be specific i did :
/itemtarget iron ration
/autoinv

Edit : i did put a space between pause and 10 :)

Last edited:
Ok, i did it by brute force, with three glyphs. But guess what ? I can't find Velketor, never put foot on this dungeon. Is there a timer for this kind of mission or have i time to find my way ? Definitely dumb...
Edit: found him. The loot isn't great but i'm glad as you could imagine. FYI my DPS versus the last mob were poor. 433K for the SK 665 and 669 for the berzs, 708 for my BL, 317 for the shammy and 179 for the bard who was mezzing.
Thanks again for all your inputs and advices.

Last edited:
Ok i'm dumb. I've tried the macro with an iron ration and it said "no item targeted, use itemtarget <theid> before issuing a /click left|right command". I don't know what "theid" mean. What's gone wrong ? To be specific i did :
/itemtarget iron ration
/autoinv

Edit : i did put a space between pause and 10 :)
item target is for targeting items in the world, not something in your bag.

in this case the "lichen" is an item in the world

Question - Concerning Seeking the Sorcerer mission

Users who are viewing this thread

Back