• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Characters randomly getting "bugged" (1 Viewer)

mill3nia

RedCents
10¢
So... I'm running into a problem here. I cannot seem to play for more than 20-30 minutes without 1-2 of my characters randomly becoming "bugged" as in their clients are behaving as if they are going link dead. The other characters disappear off the screen and mobs stand still, no chat commands or spells work. But my other clients can still see the character moving around as normal. The only way to fix it is to end the process and reload the client only for it to happen to another client randomly 20-30 minutes later. I have attempted all the optimizations I could find, unloaded unnecessary plug-ins, etc.

I feel like I'm at a dead end here and could use some help. I've just returned after a couple year break and would love to get back to leveling my characters which feels impossible with this issue. Not running into any network issues, rebooted router several times, the other clients behave normally, I ran a memory test overnight, no errors. Any help would be much appreciated!

Mostly using the cwtn plug-ins and kissassist on bard, with dannet for comms. on the test server using windows 11 pc running 6 clients if that narrows anything down. I've had the bug happen just running around guild lobby not actively running anything besides nav. I have background fps set to 60.

Last edited:
have since updated mq, gone through and tried various suggestions. Still experiencing the same issues. If anyone who is playing on test server specifically can confirm they are or are not experiencing similar issues that would help. Running out of things to try now... some additional observations I did make though are a bit interesting, if the bugged client is currently engaged with a mob it appears to follow my bugged character around while I move and I can type in say and see the chat with unbugged clients. But no other commands seem to work including camp.

Last edited:
I play on test nearly every day. Definitely haven't run into this there.

I've no clue what could be causing it, so a couple questions.
  1. Is it always the same toons that bug out or is any of your crew?
  2. Have you tried running your guys without MQ (I know...gross) to see if it still happens?

I play on test nearly every day. Definitely haven't run into this there.

I've no clue what could be causing it, so a couple questions.
  1. Is it always the same toons that bug out or is any of your crew?
  2. Have you tried running your guys without MQ (I know...gross) to see if it still happens?
Seems to randomly affect any of my characters and yeah I don't seem to run into any issues without mq2 running. Good to know it's not just a test issue so perhaps I need to keep trying to find a solution.

Do you have the same issue if you turn frame limiter turned off?
Do you use ISBOXER?
Do you have Overlapping windows?

You need to try to narrow it down to a specific thing which is causing it?

Test environment is solid at the moment - but there are some issues with overlapping windows and ISBOXER and framelimiter that are doing some weird behavior.

Do you have the same issue if you turn frame limiter turned off?
Do you use ISBOXER?
Do you have Overlapping windows?

You need to try to narrow it down to a specific thing which is causing it?

Test environment is solid at the moment - but there are some issues with overlapping windows and ISBOXER and framelimiter that are doing some weird behavior.
I do use frame limiter and they are overlapping currently since I use windowed full screen. I do not however use any other 3rd party apps outside of mq What do you suggest doing instead of frame limiter? Set in game fps caps? And should I do low resolution boxes to prevent overlap?

Turn frame limiter off and see the problem remains. Assuming your PC can run 6 toons without dying completely......if it cant.....then U may have a bigger problem.
I assume you dont have any other processes such as steam running in the background.

Turn frame limiter off and see the problem remains. Assuming your PC can run 6 toons without dying completely......if it cant.....then U may have a bigger problem.
I assume you dont have any other processes such as steam running in the background.
I'll give it a shot, I do have background stuff running, it's my primary pc but nothing out of the ordinary. I have an i9, 32gb memory, rtx 3080, windows 11 running on an NVME, can handle the 6 with ease. hoping to get this figured out and expand to 12+

Edit: Been testing for the last hour. And you know what? you might be on to something with the frame limiter. I haven't had an issue yet! here's hoping!\

2nd edit: Did happen again... frequency seems to be down though! wonder what else I am missing.

Last edited:
If using frame limiter, I recommend making sure that you have "Render game scene" enabled even if just at 1fps. I have had issues with toons running in the background without rendering periodic frames. Sometimes when returning to the background char it would take several seconds of stuttering to start rendering again, and sometimes they would just hang. I currently use:
- enable frame limiting in the background
- render game scene @ 1fps
- draw ImGui at simulation rate
- enable in foreground @ 60fps
- minimum simulation rate 30fps in advanced

Since doing this I have not had any of the stuttering / hanging issues.

I'll give it a shot, I do have background stuff running, it's my primary pc but nothing out of the ordinary. I have an i9, 32gb memory, rtx 3080, windows 11 running on an NVME, can handle the 6 with ease. hoping to get this figured out and expand to 12+

Edit: Been testing for the last hour. And you know what? you might be on to something with the frame limiter. I haven't had an issue yet! here's hoping!\

2nd edit: Did happen again... frequency seems to be down though! wonder what else I am missing.

I remember having the same issue with frame limiter. What works for me is having the characters run normal when the windows are active but completely "frozen" when they are minimized. I can't remember the exact menu option that is and I'm not at my computer right now.

Anything in-between those options made me freeze up a lot.

Okay and now the frequency is back. I am completely lost. this time happened right after zoning, could only see 1 of my other characters which was able to follow me with commands... the other 4 who were in the zone could see me but in group window on the bugged client it showed the other 4 members out of group... something is really weird

any of these plugins possibly causing an issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-22 111525.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-22 111525.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 1
you can start disabling them and zone around - but i don't think so.

this sounds like a network issue or maybe an issue with adaptor

you can start disabling them and zone around - but i don't think so.

this sounds like a network issue or maybe an issue with adaptor
definitely occurred to me that it could be a network issue, but I have yet to experience this without MQ enabled. unless it's somehow affecting MQ it's self which is in turn messing the game state up?

definitely occurred to me that it could be a network issue, but I have yet to experience this without MQ enabled. unless it's somehow affecting MQ it's self which is in turn messing the game state up?
I could see something like that potentially occurring if you have your AV or file syncing scanning your MQ/EQ/RG folders anytime there is a file write, that delay or locking could potentially cause issues like that yeah

I could see something like that potentially occurring if you have your AV or file syncing scanning your MQ/EQ/RG folders anytime there is a file write, that delay or locking could potentially cause issues like that yeah
One drive disabled and only AV is window's defender which I've added an exclusion for for both MQ and EQ folders. appreciate the replies though, just trying to figure this out hah, feel like I'm throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this one.

I have had the group disappearing after zoning issue forever. Rarely, when I zone, one or more characters will not show anyone in the group window, and group commands will not work even though the game still thinks the character is grouped. The other characters show the normal group status. Usually re-zoning fixes it, but sometimes I just disband and rejoin again.

Was always afraid to ask in general if anyone else encounters this, since I am not sure if it is an EQ or MQ thing.

One drive disabled and only AV is window's defender which I've added an exclusion for for both MQ and EQ folders. appreciate the replies though, just trying to figure this out hah, feel like I'm throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this one.
well I went back to my router's config and reset everything to default and downloaded the latest firmware. so far not an issue. maybe resetting it wasn't enough... will report back if issue reoccurs. Thanks so much for the help and suggestions guys! hopefully this was the fix!

Edit: sigh, just happened again! lol... frequency seems to be way down though!

Edit 2: Okay I might have found another solution, mostly just documenting this at this point in case anyone else experiences this problem... apparently in windows 11 the power management settings are hidden, my pc was in balanced mode, I had to enter command prompt and put in a command to unlock the "ultimate performance mode" to be able to change my power settings. starting to test this now and see if it makes any difference. Windows 11 definitely doesn't seem to be super friendly for antiquated games :(

Last edited:
Have any fixes been found for this issue? Within the past 3 weeks, I've been experiencing this issue without being able to fix it myself. This is the first thread that i've found that describes my issue and everything is explained above. I run a crew of 6, sk/clr/brd/ber/ber/bst with mq2eskay/ber, yes I know, I need to quit being cheap and buy bst and clr.

It happens all the time, while i'm farming exp/aa, doing missions, whatever.. Within 20ish mins, atleast 1 of my boxes on that screen will be doing something i.e killing a mob, but on the other 5 screens, the mobs dead and eventually the character disconnects. I've tried everything from uninstalling/reinstalling eq/mq, complete wipe and reinstallation of windows, unloading plugins, updating graphics/router/drivers....everything and i'm still stuck with this issue.

I know it's not a super computer, but here's what I have:
Windows 11
i7 - 10750H @ 2.6 - 6 Cores
16gb Ram
GeForce RTX 2070 v 531.41

Any help would be appreciated!

Problem - Characters randomly getting "bugged"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back