• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Caster comp downtime vs melee no-downtime (1 Viewer)

Banshee21

RedCents
33¢
Hello forum, long time listener first time caller. I currently have a Pal, Sham, Mage, Wiz, Bard combo on Mischief that i enjoy but the one thing i dont like about it is when i start to chain pull which i can absolutely handle my caster DPS starts running low on mana and i have to stop even given mana regen items and bard song. I really dont like the downtime so im questioning a caster comp and starting to think about switching my DPS out with Rogues/Monks currently. I do enjoy the caster comp but cant seem to get sustained DPS over longer periods so that i can reasonably grind AAs with just my 5 comp without "resting" for a bit and starting over again. I need suggestions about fixing or if i should just switch to melee.

Overall i know that if i dont like downtime i shouldnt play a class that relies on a regenerative resource suggesting that if it does run out I wouldnt have any DPS. But i definitely like melee too so im just trying to justify if its worth making the switch or if i should stick it out.

hard to say, especially since you're manually playing.
would a necro group manatap help you in that era? or add an enchanter for extra regen.

you have everyone with food/drink and mounts and such?

I do have everything required to keep max uptime on mana such as food/water and sitting/mounting when possible. But when it takes 5-10 seconds to kill something going "all out" or in a sense a spell or two multiplied by pulling 3 or 4 at a time, murdering and pulling more it does get mana intensive. I can use mana/spirit pots for max mana regen and everything but at the end of the day im using more mana than i am regenerating.

Now i will admit there is a significant time between when starting a burn and needing to "rest" but i just dont like that pause in between burns needing to regen my mana.

Edit: and given that i mentioned i dont like downtime idk why i end up playing casters either =P I do like both melee and casters and tend to gravitate towards casters more often than not but it seems i may be more happier with melee to have less downtime if the DPS is more sustainable with these really short fights commonly associated with lesson burns and such

Edit2: Also in this era if i were to switch to melee i would want to swap my wiz/mage out with an arguably interesting topic of rog/monk/berz combos of course when zerkers make an appearance on my server although rog/rog does sound like alot of fun. Again, im just looking for justification really. Im mostly interested in grinding a ton of AAs and getting these dudes to be beasts in group content so any suggestion and help towards that end would be fantastic but if i were to stay with casters ive just gotta solve this mana issue which may just end up coming with more mana regen gear in the era im in. In later expansions which i have not played a full caster group in it could be easily solved with AAs but i am not sure.

Last edited:
So I run a Pal/Mnk/Wiz/Shm/Brd/Enc group on Rizlona, and I like having both caster and melee DPS. It looks like you're only running 5 toons -- are you able to run with clarity all the time in spite of having no enc (which also means charm DPS)?

Adding an enchanter to your group as box #6 seems like one obvious consideration, unless you're set on sticking to 5.

You will probably find you are wasting a lot of mana - if you dont set your toons to stop nuking at about 10-15% Mob health. Ie Mob is about to Die and Wiz and Mage just going BOOM all the time.

You can put the Mob health into conditions, so it only uses certain Big Mana spells when needed.

So I run a Pal/Mnk/Wiz/Shm/Brd/Enc group on Rizlona, and I like having both caster and melee DPS. It looks like you're only running 5 toons -- are you able to run with clarity all the time in spite of having no enc (which also means charm DPS)?

Adding an enchanter to your group as box #6 seems like one obvious consideration, unless you're set on sticking to 5.
unfortunately i am limited to 5 because i do not have a 6th PC to run the last account on. Its a work in progress though

You will probably find you are wasting a lot of mana - if you dont set your toons to stop nuking at about 10-15% Mob health. Ie Mob is about to Die and Wiz and Mage just going BOOM all the time.

You can put the Mob health into conditions, so it only uses certain Big Mana spells when needed.

This is some good advice, especially when mobs start turning light blue/green/gray/farming lower content. Same with having a different loop for named mobs.

ended up rolling Pal/Shm/Brd/Monk/Rog and eventually swap the Monk with a Zerker. I can ultimately compare and contracts pros and cons of both specs and have two teams good at doing different things im sure. With some AA grinding and expansion releases i can eventually make Pal my main heals and use another slot for a DPS for some big AA burns iirc

Either way you will have some eventual downtimes ( less with a melee group)

Because Casters have to deal with mana, Melee have to deal with stamina

Melee with little or no stamina will start to diminish DPS capabilities and fights will take longer.

Stick with what you got , I think your fine

Question - Caster comp downtime vs melee no-downtime

Users who are viewing this thread

Back