• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Bumping old threads F.A.Q (1 Viewer)

Bladee

RedCents
31¢
Hello dear members of RedGuides. Last weeks we had several cases of grave digging, so I though I make a short guide about it, since some people maybe don't really understand policy about it.

I made a short FAQ, which maybe makes it more clear to new people here on forums :)

Q: What is grave digging?
A:Grave digging, is when you are posting on purpose in old threads, so they will be refreshed, and will come on top in the forums again.

Q:Why is Grave digging so bad?
A: When you are bumping very old threads, and they come on top of the forums again, it first of all takes space. Since they are old, people rarely will find any new usefully information in them, when clicking. On forums, you want to have those threads that are brand new on the top, so you can be updated with fresh news, not 1 year old case.

Q:How do I know that I am Grave digging?
A: In every post, there is a posting date near the posters avatar, see the picture below. Look at date, if the thread is over 3 weeks old, it will be quite much grave digging, when you bump it. but it is OK in rare cases. Read below.

Q: So, Grave digging is totally forbidden?
A:well.. actually no. It can be very usefully in rare cases. You are more then welcome to post in old thread, but only if:
  1. You got NEW info about exploit/hack/tip the threads is about. Don't post
    just a feed back like "Cool exploit, works for me!!". Then it is a pointless
    grave digging, and wont make other members on the forums happy. Post
    new info like updates, or if you found a new way to do the exploit on.
    Then it is ok to bump the thread.
  2. You found out that exploit is no longer works, or extremely dangerous to
    do due to ban risk. Then of course post about it in the thread, so others
    know about it!

Q: Dude, you are confusing me.. First you said it is wrong to grave dig, then that it is good.. what to do?
A: Actually, to understand when it is good to bump an old thread, look on the contest of the thread. Here is some examples:

1. Question thread / Request for help. Example
    Hello, does anyone know any good anti virus? I need help, my PC crash
    every minute.
    --- DON'T Bump that kind of threads, if they are older then 3 weeks.
    Why: Because after three weeks, person who posted the thread, already got the help, or found some other solution.
  2. Exploit threads.Example
    Hey, yell I LICK CATS in ironforge, and you will get 1000 gold of GM.
    --- Feel free to bump, if you got new USEFULLY information. To define new info, scroll up.
    Why: If you found out that it is ban able, or found a new way to do it, post it, so people who still are doing it will know about dangerous, or you easy new way to do it.
  3. General talk threads.Example
    ---Usually dont bump those threads, but threads that are about fun stuff can be bumped normally.
    Why: All general talk threads have limited time usually on for for long time the subject is intresting. After 2-3 weeks none usually cares about it, UNLESS it is about an event, which is still having place. then it might be ok to bump the thread. However, sometimes threads about fun stuff comes up, or just general takl that is holding for very long.. bump if you want continue talk about it.

Q:Hmm.. I see, but I can never know for sure if I will be grave digging.. is there anyway to be totally sure about it?
A:
Actually no, just try to use your common sence, and read true the thread, look over it, how old it is, is the subject of the thread still interesting.

I think it was all. Hope it helps.

If you have any more tips I can add, post them here.

Last edited:
Re: Grave Digging-bumping old threads F.A.Q

Tip #1: Take into consideration that certain issues will never go away and those issue will always take benefit from new members that join after the 3-4 week time frame from the last post. You have a captive audience that all really want to be part of the group otherwise they wouldn’t be here. So I suggest generating a new sub-group with a topic called "The Grave". Doing this will allow posting to issues older than 3-4 weeks without the fear of being banned.

carlosbc said:
Tip #1: Take into consideration that certain issues will never go away and those issue will always take benefit from new members that join after the 3-4 week time frame from the last post. You have a captive audience that all really want to be part of the group otherwise they wouldn’t be here. So I suggest generating a new sub-group with a topic called "The Grave". Doing this will allow posting to issues older than 3-4 weeks without the fear of being banned.

I do take that into consideration, however, if Im gonna post in such threads, which are old aswell, I will make sure to post something usefull. As I said in FAQ

And Bladee, what you got upset about before that made you start this was a STICKY.

Stickies are there no matter what(unless they are un-stickied...duh), so I don't think "grave digging" a sticky is all that bad.

Generel said:
And Bladee, what you got upset about before that made you start this was a STICKY.

Stickies are there no matter what(unless they are un-stickied...duh), so I don't think "grave digging" a sticky is all that bad.

Generel, and carlosbc, dont mind that post please, I am sorry for being an asshole there.

That short guide is just to help new people on forums.

Last edited:
Bumping old threads F.A.Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Back