• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

boxing probs (1 Viewer)

RedCents
33¢
Well i started boxing again, now playing a shaman and Sk duo... going really well imo only one prob

stuttery lag, ok, so i get a good 30min run or so, then it goes alll stuttery and only way to stop is to reboot my comp, i updated drivers etc for gfx (as its gfx lag) and dosnt seem to help.

My gfx card is a GeForce 7800 GO Gtx with 256mb of vid mem, cpu is a 2.13ghz intel centrino (is a laptop)

I cant find any reasion why it acts like this, and its not zone specific it happens as much in old world places as well as new world, Im all out of ideas now so any one got a clue how to fix it?

dont run in windowed mode. Since TSS ive had problems with that. ALso run an adavanced search and make sure all your eq files are up to date. Then turn down far clip plane and turn off all spell/sky/ect.... This may help

P.S. if you are running a macro on 1 or both make sure there is no infinte loops in the macro. I made a macro once that bugged out my comp because it got into one of these loops

switching boxes to full screen etc is a pain in the rear tho but will give it a bash after work, not running mq2 yet lol,

got everything turned down skys etc etc still same stuff lol.

tried both, fps said i was doing about 10fps, dont htink thats to bad but was very choppy, wineq worked well for about a hour then it all got choppy again like before...

how come i could 6box on one comp 3yrs older than the one im using atm grr

Also scan for spyare and viruses and make sure to turn off any symantec security or virus software. it's good but it can cause lag. Mcafee's not as likely to cause the same lag, but it's not as good of a scanner (IMO).

My first stop would be getting the latest BIOS for the notebook, the latest chipset (will probably get better support from updated chipset drivers from Intel.com vs the notebook maker but they may not be 100% compatible).

On a simpler note, have you tried defragging?

I would agree with anon 456. It sounds like you are running out of virtual memory. Keep in mind no matter how far you turn it down eq seems to use about 600mb of memory per session you run on it. If you're laptop has less than 1.5gb of memory it will be going to virtual ram (you're hard drive) once you run out of main memory. That not only slows it down but if you have any sort of memory leaks at all, you will eventually run out of virtual memory and everything will start to crawl.

eqisdead

ok my comp has 2gb of ram and i have about 35gb free hdd space, think i will up the virt mem, doing the scans etc etc now but not found owt really so far, not running anything in background when I eq (cept mq2 when th emood takes me)

not defraged in a few weeks will do that when i go to work save me spendin hrs watching it. will let ya know how it pans out, really hope it gets sorted lol

1) put your pagefile at 0
2) reboot
3) defrag
4) put your pagefile at 1.5xRAM min and max, dont let the pagefile have a min different than the max

that should help a little

I get the same problem on one of my machines. I noticed the system idle process starts cranking at 35% CPU usage with only 50k ram used. If I minmize all the windows for a minute it goes away.

grr same problems with all the above advice taken into account, thinking of a reformat now :(

minimiseing it dosnt help btw, and now im getting slow down and weird lag when i single box. lol

thanks for all the advice so far btw guys really apreshate it

whats happening now is i can log one box to char select and i will get my frame rates from 10 to about 35ish on the other box, then log the other one back it and framerates only go down to about 28, very playable, but then aftera bout 10mins of that framerates go to 10ish unplayable

so weird

Last edited:
majin1970 said:
System Idle Process just indicates that said % of your CPU isn't being utilized. The process just indicates how much of the CPU is idle (read not being used.)

Odd, I was of the opinion it was the top level handler for all process the system considers "idle time only" processes.

Well, thats what the thread tracker shows anyways.

The parent process manages things like DCP's, System, Interupts etc....

EQManiac said:
Odd, I was of the opinion it was the top level handler for all process the system considers "idle time only" processes.

Well, thats what the thread tracker shows anyways.

The parent process manages things like DCP's, System, Interupts etc....
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows Task Manager with System idle process selectedIn Windows NT-based operating systems, the System Idle Process is, essentially, a counter which measures how much idle capacity the CPU has at any given time. The process runs in the background and constantly monitors processing bandwidth, occupied memory and the Windows virtual paging file. System users can find it in the Windows Task Manager, under "SYSTEM"; however, it cannot be terminated.

Several spyware removal tools have been known to target the System Idle Process, likening its stagnant but watchful properties to what is popularly known as "spyware". Although there is no program file to be removed, some such programs will block it from starting up with the system, causing an "RPC stack error". The problem is rare and most companies have released newer versions that correct the problem.

boxing probs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back