• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Boxing? How do? (1 Viewer)

Banshee21

RedCents
33¢
So im not a newbie when it comes to boxing especially true boxing. My general confusion though when it comes to this subject on servers that allow singular PC boxing (non-truebox) is how? How do i get all of my characters on one PC? How do you get them all to do commands for you? How is this automated to be seemingly seamless across a few groups? How do i determine my boxing limitations (characters per PC). I understand this may come down to programs but honestly is it just simply driving one toon while the others are automated by scripted commands? Just trying to understand the overall concept and process and any helpful pointers to guide or getting started threads would be amazing.

Solution
So im not a newbie when it comes to boxing especially true boxing. My general confusion though when it comes to this subject on servers that allow singular PC boxing (non-truebox) is how? How do i get all of my characters on one PC? How do you get them all to do commands for you? How is this automated to be seemingly seamless across a few groups? How do i determine my boxing limitations (characters per PC). I understand this may come down to programs but honestly is it just simply driving one toon while the others are automated by scripted commands? Just trying to understand the overall concept and process and any helpful pointers to guide or getting started threads would be amazing.
Well for the most part people who box on a...
Well for the most part people who box on a single PC can utilize Alt-Tabbing, a tool like ISBoxer to broadcast keypresses across clients, they can use tools like Dannet or EQBC to send commands over the local network that then will get recieved by the other characters, or they can use automation as a method of controlling background characters.

The most common method at Redguides is using automation to control the characters in the background. Some of those automation options are Kissassist macro, RGMercs Macro, and the CWTN Plugins. These are designed to play the characters for you in the background and act almost as if they were group members that were just tagging along with little interaction with you as the player beyond getting them setup the way you want.

I'm not familiar with ISBoxer.

Using a tool like dannet or EQBC to control the characters can be a more complicated task, but is usually fairly straight forward when dealing with background characters who don't require a ton of movement. EQBC Stuff like /bct clericname //cast 1 for example would tell the character with the name of "clericname" to cast the spell in gem 1. You either have them always targeting the player that needs to get healed or you can make the command more complicated. /bct clericname //multiline ; /target TankName; /timed 5 /cast 1 the same would apply for dannet but it would have different syntax.

There are various tools available at redguides. All of which have their own upsides and downsides. There is no one automation option fits all, and certainly not one that handles are potential scenarios in the game.

Solution
The simplest way to play multiple toons on the same PC is to just run the Everquest launcher multiple times. There are some other ways to do it, but just launching EQ multiple times is the most straightforward way.

Check out these Getting Started videos for a general intro to Redguides/MQ.

You should also check out the links in @Sic's signature. There's a ton of good information there.

It can be daunting when your first get going, but it's well worth the journey. The community here is really helpful, so don't be afraid to ask questions as you go along.

I use ISBoxer ($15 per 3 months) along with MacroQuest just for windows management.

I have my toons hotkeyed F1-F6 for fast switching.

ISBoxer also provides a resource management for cpu and a frame limiter but with the new MacroQuest (Next) this is unnecessary.

In the case of multiple groups I just create two separate groups and then I use the tank to drive each of the group. So if group 1 tank is an SK I will use that character to drive that team using EQBC or Dannet, and then if group 2 has a paladin tank then I will use the paladin to drive team 2 using the same method.

Tools like EQBC/Dannet can be specific about what connected members it communicates commands to.

For example

/bcg //sit would tell everyone in my current group, except myself, to sit.
/bcga //sit would tell everyone in my current group, including myself, to sit

/bca //sit would tell everyone connected to eqbc, except myself, to sit.
/bcaa //sit would tell everyone connected to eqbc, including myself, to sit.

EQBC and Dannet can send commands to characters using the above method (dannet commands differ) and those commands can be any EQ command (like /sit) or any MQ command (like /mac kissassist assist TankNameHere 98)

Should i be looking into a frame limiter for having so many toons online? I have yet to test out running 2 groups but im just curious about the load it puts on my RAM/CPU

Honestly regardless how many characters you're running. If you're using more than 1 account on the computer I would recommend MQs built in frame limiter simply because if you don't need to tax your system, you shouldn't. Additional heat and stress on the components only stands to degrade the components to no added benefit to yourself.

Question - Boxing? How do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back