• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Box Group Best Path Forward (1 Viewer)

RedCents
142¢
Hi and Merry Christmas to all, I'm new here and I'm just starting to dip my toe into MQ2! So far I'm loving it! I used to Alt + Tab box back in the day but as I've gotten older I've developed hand tremors and can't do fast paced games any longer. MQ2 allows me to come back to a game I continually enjoy, so thanks!

I am looking for some suggestions on upgrading my group:

Currently I have:
110 SK (28k aa's)
105 Shaman (autogrant aa's only)
105 Mage (autogrant aa's only)
105 Bard (autogrant aa's only)
93 Berz (autogrant aa's only)
My 6th slot I use a cleric merc for now.

I eventually want to upgrade everyone to all access and get ToL but I am wondering what order of doing so would be the best bang for my buck? (I can't afford to do it all at once right now but could get away with upgrading say one a month.)
Obviously I plan to start with the Sk, but in your opinion, what upgrade offer after that would be most beneficial? My first thought would be the shaman or bard.

Also at what point should I add a 6th toon? Before significantly levelling the other 5? I also realize the aa's need work and I am not sure if it's better to do that sooner rather than later.

I mostly stick to older content, but I would like to check out some of the newer expansions as my characters level but my response times are slow so I don't expect to be able to do too much in the way of new stuff.

Anyhow, thank you again for any advice you have and for all the work you've put into this community!

ditch the mage and swap in another berz and add a bst. Go ahead and add the 6th toon now. Use your plat to get tank and healer kronos and max their AA. Then work your way through the dps, personally i would do 2 at a time and start with a berz and the bard.

You absolutely want to prioritize the tank and healer, always. Once I got my toons max aa's, I stopped subbing everyone but the tank and I do just fine. I hardly noticed any change in dps on the other toons between being subbed or not, so I stopped paying for them. Your mileage may vary.

Play what makes you happy. If you like the mage keep the mage. I would say get that 6th toon now and keep him FTP until 105. Sub him at that point for the autogrant and then grind AAs for the remainder of the month.
I started out with 2 toons, pally and enc. I have since moved to 6. Pally, Enc/brd, Zerker x2, Shm, Bst. I am liking this combo, but I will most likely change out one zerker for a rog to see how that works. I used to go Pally, brd, zerker x3, clr and I must say taht group is insane dps. But I felt I wanted more options.

Like said above always prioritize your tank and healer, because without those you ain't gonna accomplish much.

If you stick to pre-ToV content you will have not much of an issue at all just on autogrant.

So I started off with just 2 boxing, then added another char a few levels later. Now I 6 box and am only in the mid low 80's. But I'm really glad I went ahead and added the full group. Also I have a mage in my group and enjoy them! Play who you want and whatever is fun to you, doesn't matter unless you are min/maxing I guess.

Hi and Merry Christmas to all, I'm new here and I'm just starting to dip my toe into MQ2! So far I'm loving it! I used to Alt + Tab box back in the day but as I've gotten older I've developed hand tremors and can't do fast paced games any longer. MQ2 allows me to come back to a game I continually enjoy, so thanks!

I am looking for some suggestions on upgrading my group:

Currently I have:
110 SK (28k aa's)
105 Shaman (autogrant aa's only)
105 Mage (autogrant aa's only)
105 Bard (autogrant aa's only)
93 Berz (autogrant aa's only)
My 6th slot I use a cleric merc for now.

I eventually want to upgrade everyone to all access and get ToL but I am wondering what order of doing so would be the best bang for my buck? (I can't afford to do it all at once right now but could get away with upgrading say one a month.)
Obviously I plan to start with the Sk, but in your opinion, what upgrade offer after that would be most beneficial? My first thought would be the shaman or bard.

Also at what point should I add a 6th toon? Before significantly levelling the other 5? I also realize the aa's need work and I am not sure if it's better to do that sooner rather than later.

I mostly stick to older content, but I would like to check out some of the newer expansions as my characters level but my response times are slow so I don't expect to be able to do too much in the way of new stuff.

Anyhow, thank you again for any advice you have and for all the work you've put into this community!

So, the reason people always say focus on the tank is because you need someone to take care of aggro when you pull multiples.

I parked my SK a while ago, and it is working quite well for me, so playing without a MT is doable.

I have Mag, Mag, Brd, Shm, Enc, Bst.

A lot of people will say "dump the ench" (or brd), but these toons both provide insane ADPS, (as do the Bst and Shm), and this groups functions very well, peaking 2 M DPS at level 112-115, average over 1 M dps over a lesson burn (Gamparse).

The way I can manage without a real tank is by having the Enchanter CC and melee; since the Enchanter is mezzing and doing a lot of CC, by being at the front line, whenever a mob breakes mezz, the Enchanter is at the top of the aggro list. Because of the runes etc, the enchanter is actually better equipped to deal with the damage than my SK is. Without the enchanter, one of the soft classes would die quite often from adds or multipulls.

SK need a lot of attention to equipment; enchanters do not (but they do need to be all access).

I often (acidentally) pull 6+ mobs, and as long as the enchanter, the shaman, and one of the other toons survive the initial carnage, which is most of the times, I come out on top. Most times without casualties. So it works.

With this group, everyone is providing pets/swarm pets, meaning that Mage dps is through the roof, and there are a lot of pets to take some punishment.

I tank named with swarm pets and mage water pets, throwing in some extra mage pet runes to keep it going when needed.

Most fragile toon in this setup is the bard, because he is "at the front", but he does not have the defences the enchanter has. So he gets rezzed a lot...

I swap BST in and out; he is the least developed of the toons, and therefore does not yet make a big difference; the biggest problem with the bst is that most mobs are dead in 8-15 seconds. This is the spot I use when I PL other my toons.

I use CWTN (Sic) class plugins, except for the Bard, I use Kissassist for him.

The biggest weakness of this group is in very tight quarters, where mobs aggro through walls, etc. I need the enchanter to cast more group runes to fix that, still working on it :-).

The group is a hybrid between a caster group and a melee group; there are so many pets, and two hybrid classes, that there is quite a bit of melee, and pet/swarm pet dps dwarfs nuke dps by a very large margin.

The adps-classes do not show up for a lot on the dps-meter, but if I take them out of the group, the dps plummets below half.

Play what you like! any group works if your willing to adapt/work with what you have.

Its posted all over here, Tank, heals and CC.. you have that covered, I would focus on the tank (AA's, gear, augs) because as long as they are alive, all is good.. A bst would be a good fit, they are very gear dependant, and just ok DPS, but the ADPS support they provide is game changing. I personally hate hand playing a bst, but as a scripted char, I am fine with them.

Any modern content (ToV missions +) will require a real tank, or a high pain tolerance. Shm can heal fine in modern game, but getting them there is some work. Bards provide great ADPS, and good mezzing, i run alot of KA bards.

Again, you have the core, I would make a 6th (bst.. maybe mage.. maybe zerker..) and with MQ, its not hard to change up what your group is.

Question - Box Group Best Path Forward

Users who are viewing this thread

Back