• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Best Pet Toys (1 Viewer)

RedCents
115¢
So, I've often thought that matching pet toys to the mobs that I anticipating fighting would make the most sense, and produce the best increase in pet DPS. I don't know if that is true, but it has just seemed logical.
BUT.. now I am wondering what are the best pet toys to give my top level necro tank pet Tserrina's Shade FOR GENERAL pet tanking use. I'm not really worried about aggro, as the pet taunts quite nicely.

Please and thank you for your input!

Ive heard T1 TOV weapons produce some great DPS results. I havent tried this myself yet though. Also giving them merc gear and Conflag armor is great as well for heroics. Someone else might want to chime in to confirm. Just watch level requirements on the gear you do give to your pet is always best practice FYI

Last edited:
So, I've often thought that matching pet toys to the mobs that I anticipating fighting would make the most sense, and produce the best increase in pet DPS. I don't know if that is true, but it has just seemed logical.
BUT.. now I am wondering what are the best pet toys to give my top level necro tank pet Tserrina's Shade FOR GENERAL pet tanking use. I'm not really worried about aggro, as the pet taunts quite nicely.

Please and thank you for your input!
For pet tanking? 2x ToV t1 crusader maces. highest per hit dmg of any 1h weapon, and they proc a rune (and yes, ive watched them actually proc it)

Necro or Mage Either one. if your pet tanking, gear it in conflagrant war/paly/Sk Vis+earringsx2+ringx2+necklace+shoulders+face(tank face for agro)+2 TOV t1 crusader maces=super pet (DO NOT under any circumstances give your pet a CLOAK, that will remove the enhance minion buff)

DPS i put them in conflagrant rog gear(same pieces as above) wiht t1 tov maces/axes/piercers

I'll preface this by saying I was mage main for many years and once had some amount of influence in regards to what went to the devs and the numbers they were looking at. Pets in general (around SoF era revamp) was a big part of this.

(weapon damage * 2 ) +1 - That's the formula for whether a weapon's damage will matter to your pet or not. If that number is higher than your pets base damage, the weapon will have an effect. As you might have guessed, no player weapon is even close to having an effect on the base damage of your pet at this point in the game. Unless code is changed, pets per swing damage will never be affected by weapons ever again, so you can safely ignore that aspect of gearing. - Pet do still benefit from the other stats on weapons and the procs they provide, of course.

Pets simultaneously factor in and also ignore weapon delay. No weapon delay will change the speed which a pet swings, but a pet will always equip a lower delay weapon regardless of all other stats. Mage summoned pet weapons proc at a significantly higher rate than most normal weapons, but if you want a different effect obviously you need player equippable weapons for that. - You're not wrong to use proc types with resists that are suited for the mobs, but generally speaking this doesn't actually matter that much anymore as mobs have pretty standard resists across the board as a general rule.

Everything else is pretty much the right idea. Whatever the highest tradeable gear you can give it is the best gear they can have. (Even if you're on FV, it must be tradeable on normal servers. No special pet rules apply there. If you've attuned an item to yourself, a pet can no longer wear it)

And this cannot be stressed enough even though it has already been said - Do Not Equip A Back Piece - Seriously.. Don't do it. Pets ignore all other stats other than AC when judging what gear to equip and you will lose the best piece of gear they've got.

Pets ignore required/recommended levels for receiving stats, but they must be the right level to activate a weapon proc. They ignore Lore tag. They ignore 'primary/secondary only' tags on weapons, if I remember correctly.

That all being said - For general play, I don't consider over-gearing them to be worth it, and just get a set of mage summoned gear and call it a day 99% of the time on necro/beast (mage comes pre-equipped as long as you have an up to date pet focus).

Last edited:
I'll preface this by saying I was mage main for many years and once had some amount of influence in regards to what went to the devs and the numbers they were looking at. Pets in general (around SoF era revamp) was a big part of this.

(weapon damage * 2 ) +1 - That's the formula for whether a weapon's damage will matter to your pet or not. If that number is higher than your pets base damage, the weapon will have an effect. As you might have guessed, no player weapon is even close to having an effect on the base damage of your pet at this point in the game. Unless code is changed, pets per swing damage will never be affected by weapons ever again, so you can safely ignore that aspect of gearing.

Pets simultaneously factor in and also ignore weapon delay. No weapon delay will change the speed which a pet swings, but a pet will always equip a lower delay weapon regardless of all other stats. Mage summoned pet weapons proc at a significantly higher rate than most normal weapons, but if you want a different effect obviously you need player equippable weapons for that. - You're not wrong to use proc types with resists that are suited for the mobs, but generally speaking this doesn't actually matter that much anymore as mobs have pretty standard resists across the board as a general rule.

Everything else is pretty much the right idea. Whatever the highest tradeable gear you can give it is the best gear they can have. (Even if you're on FV, it must be tradeable on normal servers. No special pet rules apply there. If you've attuned an item to yourself, a pet can no longer wear it)

And this cannot be stressed enough even though it has already been said - Do Not Equip A Back Piece - Seriously.. Don't do it. Pets ignore all other stats other than AC when judging what gear to equip and you will lose the best piece of gear they've got.

Pets ignore required/recommended levels for receiving stats, but they must be the right level to activate a weapon proc. They ignore Lore tag. They ignore 'primary/secondary only' tags on weapons, if I remember correctly.

That all being said - For general play, I don't consider over-gearing them to be worth it, and just get a set of mage summoned gear and call it a day 99% of the time on necro/beast (mage comes pre-equipped as long as you have an up to date pet focus).

Just started playing with a new group with 3 mages, and wondered is there a way to tell what type of gear they are wearing? Like a command to inspect them?

is there a way to tell what type of gear they are wearing?

Unfortunately, no. We asked for years for a way to be able to inspect pet only to be told time and again some variation of it wasn't worth the developer time/resources to make it function. As summoned, if you have up to date pet focus, they will come with a full set of the best gear you can summon except for weapons and a back piece whose stats we no longer know precisely, but we do know it has been continually upgraded over the years to be an extremely significant piece of gear.

(weapon damage * 2 ) +1 - That's the formula for whether a weapon's damage will matter to your pet or not. If that number is higher than your pets base damage, the weapon will have an effect. As you might have guessed, no player weapon is even close to having an effect on the base damage of your pet at this point in the game. Unless code is changed, pets per swing damage will never be affected by weapons ever again, so you can safely ignore that aspect of gearing.

Been playing a mage since I started back 3 years ago. This was very informative! Thanks

Kar

Mostly correct.
I have played a main mage several times over the years. I also do TONS of testing. as in parsing hundreds of kills. Having said that.

fact 1-
mage water pet with Golden sage earring (EH XXIV) conflagrant rogue gear and 2x Flowstone Cudgel (399dmg) Mage haste, shm Talisman of Ry'Gorr buffs.
average over 200 fights just /pet attack (blue/white/yellow cons in GD) 71688 average.

Same pet, same buffs, just with mage only gear/weapons
average over 200 fights /pet attack (blue/white/yellow cons same camp in GD) 52937 average.

Same pet, same buffs, no gear at all but whats given cause of focus.
average dps over 100 fights(i got lazy at this point) /pet attack (blue/white/yellow cons same camp in GD) 32444 average

as you can see there is a degredation of dps based on which weapons and if it even has weapons. SOME Of that is procs(although the crusader maces have no dmg proc just a rune)

Everything else you said is absolutely correct and has been born out via testing testing testing.

I never take anything on someones word i do my own testing and i fully expect anyone that i answer about anything to do their own testing.

Mostly correct.

I had typed up a really long reply to this, but it came off sounding like an attack in a way I very much didn't mean for it to, so I will instead just say - Are you 100% sure that's the only difference between the second and third parse, because my parses don't show anywhere even close to this level of difference from pet weapons. 20k passive dps is a monumental change given these circumstances, and I'm extremely inclined to believe there's more to it than that. I suspect control may be a factor. The difference between a pet with no weapons and a pet with mage summoned pet weapons should be pretty small, all other factors being the same.

---

But I also want to be more specific about what I meant about weapon damage and pets.

I was referring specifically to the base damage of weapons and its effect on pet damage. I should have been more clear about that. The weapons damage is not the part the pet is benefitting from. It's the additional stats (and procs, of course). I didn't mean to make it sound like pets shouldn't be equipped weapons because it doesn't affect their damage, but only that you don't have to look at the base damage/ratio when equipping a pet. It will not change their BASE damage. As in, controlling for extra stats, a pet with the best damage weapons it can get and a pet with no weapons will have the same minimum and maximum hit. (I will slightly edit my original comment to include that all other stats on a weapon still matter).

I had typed up a really long reply to this, but it came off sounding like an attack in a way I very much didn't mean for it to, so I will instead just say - Are you 100% sure that's the only difference between the second and third parse, because my parses don't show anywhere even close to this level of difference from pet weapons. 20k passive dps is a monumental change given these circumstances, and I'm extremely inclined to believe there's more to it than that. I suspect control may be a factor. The difference between a pet with no weapons and a pet with mage summoned pet weapons should be pretty small, all other factors being the same.

---

But I also want to be more specific about what I meant about weapon damage and pets.

I was referring specifically to the base damage of weapons and its effect on pet damage. I should have been more clear about that. The weapons damage is not the part the pet is benefitting from. It's the additional stats (and procs, of course). I didn't mean to make it sound like pets shouldn't be equipped weapons because it doesn't affect their damage, but only that you don't have to look at the base damage/ratio when equipping a pet. It will not change their BASE damage. As in, controlling for extra stats, a pet with the best damage weapons it can get and a pet with no weapons will have the same minimum and maximum hit. (I will slightly edit my original comment to include that all other stats on a weapon still matter).
Yes, im certain. i had stripped buffs on sk shm and mage and only buffed with shm /mage. each time i made a pet i stripped buffs and cast the same buffs again to test. I was in an area where no one else was around so no one could drive by buff me.

to start with i summoned water pet, put 2x of the crusader maces on it and full set of conflagrant (i made 3 sets for testing all out) i unloaded mq2mage and mq totaly on the mage account, and all i was doing was /assist main , /pet attack with mage.

I also dont mean to attack anyone, I was mearly stating what i have tested and what the tests have shown. weather the increase dps is from the dmg of the weapon or stats i cant really say, but the dps of the pet DOES go up alot, and not much difference in stats between a crusader mace and a rog peircer, except the rog piercer has a dmg proc and the crusader mace doesnt. I will take apart my log files for that laptop that the mage is on and see min/max dmg via all 3

I also dont mean to attack anyone, I was mearly stating what i have tested and what the tests have shown.

Just to be perfectly clear, I knew what you posted wasn't in anyway an attack. My original response to it sounded like one to me after I read it back so I ditched that before I even posted it so it didn't come off that way. - By all means, if I am wrong about something now or ever, please correct me. Don't let people go misinformed on account of me.

I try my best to post only useful and confirmable information and keep the clutter down, but I'm going to make mistakes. The beauty of these forums is how knowledgeable the collective is, and any correction is a good correction in my book.

---

I'll run some new parses to see what's going on with that dps increase, because now I'm curious. Will give me an excuse to play my mage for a bit, anyway.

So, if I have a BST pet and I’m looking to max dps, what should I do?

I don’t have another mage in group, so should I buy the conflag gear referenced above, plus those two crusader maces ( I’m assuming that’s t1 ToV knight weapons)

Unfortunately, no. We asked for years for a way to be able to inspect pet only to be told time and again some variation of it wasn't worth the developer time/resources to make it function. As summoned, if you have up to date pet focus, they will come with a full set of the best gear you can summon except for weapons and a back piece whose stats we no longer know precisely, but we do know it has been continually upgraded over the years to be an extremely significant piece of gear.

So much great information! One may obtain the ids of the pet's primary and offhand slots ${Pet.Equipment[primary]} which I use as a flag to ascertain whether a pet is geared. The macroquest site has slotnames for all, but as was stated that data is unavailable.

Heretic view: It is my opinion that the 115 mage earth pet with 20+ focus and standard summoned heirlooms is more durable than all but a fully raid geared PC. Mine tank aow, zlandi and raid trash just fine, but all dps must be ranged. Proper tanks get squashed fast unless overhealed. I've not had an opportunity to place a mage pet on a proper raid mob.

Last edited:
Just to be perfectly clear, I knew what you posted wasn't in anyway an attack. My original response to it sounded like one to me after I read it back so I ditched that before I even posted it so it didn't come off that way. - By all means, if I am wrong about something now or ever, please correct me. Don't let people go misinformed on account of me.

I try my best to post only useful and confirmable information and keep the clutter down, but I'm going to make mistakes. The beauty of these forums is how knowledgeable the collective is, and any correction is a good correction in my book.

---

I'll run some new parses to see what's going on with that dps increase, because now I'm curious. Will give me an excuse to play my mage for a bit, anyway.
Kool, i know sometimes i come off as if im attacking someone, and i try not to. i just wanted to make sure you knew i wasnt trying to. I love when multiple ppl share knowledge (this is one of the things about this site that really got me stuck here)

and i have no clue what DBG thinks, it shouldnt be an issue to make pets inspectable or a command from the pet owner to inspect it.

Please do play your mage, ive always enjoyed mine, and CWTN mage plugin just made me create 2 new ones and level them up and working on aaing them now.

i love when people can have a difference of opinion and come together to share knowledge. I would love to hear what you come up with with your parse tests.

I don’t have another mage in group, so should I buy the conflag gear referenced above, plus those two crusader maces ( I’m assuming that’s t1 ToV knight weapons)
are you tanking wiht that pet?

If not then it comes down to are you wanting to min/max. Yes if you want every bit of dps out of that pet you can get, you want it with conflagrant gear and some form of t1 tov weapon.

broke into parser and redefined it for the same fights i used above (damn it took a bit)
water pet with conflag and t1 crusader maces -max hit 95557 min hit 11325 average per hit 25316 (average 3 backstabs per mob, average BS 95557) (average over 201 fights)
water pet with conflag and mage summoned weapons - max hit 94625 min hit 10965 average per hit 20929 (average 2 backstabs per mob, average BS 75099)(average over 200 fights)
water pet with summoned gear and weapons - max hit 85687 min hit 8561 average per hit 18352 (2 backstabs average per mob type average BS 77236)(average over 111 fights)

so at this point i have to say that Avian maybe onto something. the pure dmg increase may come from stats but ive now also tested using 2x warrior axes and the numbers are about the same as with just summoned weapons.

i will continue using conflag and 2x crusader maces for my pets cause i do need that extra dps.

Arander, I also have a BST and was looking for information on setup. At 115, which Conflag armor set should i give to beast pet? Also, i can farm the mace no problem!

The other question is, are the shaman pets worth decking out in ToV t1 weapons and Conflag gear?

Arander, I also have a BST and was looking for information on setup. At 115, which Conflag armor set should i give to beast pet? Also, i can farm the mace no problem!

The other question is, are the shaman pets worth decking out in ToV t1 weapons and Conflag gear?
depends on what ur doing, if im using hte pet to tank i use SK or paly conflagrant (i farm the stuff and make it up in batches), if ur DPSing the rog stuff has better dps stats.

no for Shm i normally just use mage stuff on it.

Keep in mind, all pets i put as much gear on them as i can. If im doing sketchy crap that will 90% end in death i just summon gear the pets. but normal play i fully gear all slots EXCEPT cloak. I farm the mace for each toon(its lore) so that i have several spares, and when i use last one i go spend a day or two farming more. Since my SK tanks most of the time, my mages/bst/shm rarely die.

I HAVE done shm with conflagrant and t1 weapons but really didnt notice that much of an increase to be worth the cost. SK one i do put conflagrant and t1 maces simply to keep it alive through AOE's. most of the time i farm 3 COV missions and 3 TOV missions daily and my SK pet almost never dies unless i screw up and wipe us.

I want to double down on that point about shaman pet. They just aren't bringing enough to the table to begin with to be amplified enough to be worth it (in my opinion). Every time you or your pet dies, you lose everything that was on it in an instant, and shaman pet just doesn't provide enough to justify that amount of work, to me. That said, they are much beefier than they were in years past, so I wouldn't say there's no situation in which it would be worth it. There isn't a situation where I would find it worth it that I can think of, however, because I'm never in a situation where the shaman pet taking some hits would be a saving grace and the little extra dps just isn't a make or break for me. I've got plenty of dps.

I personally wouldn't do it to the SK pet either for the same reason, but arander has deemed that worth it, and that's a point worth noting. In their case, they have found it to be worth it just for the sake of not needing to bother with redoing the pet. At the end of the day, if you find it worth it to you personally then that is justification in itself.

I'm sure the reason arander is using conflagrant specifically is because its ease of attaining and it's relatively good stats. - If you truly want to maximize dps and ease of replacing the piece on your pet isn't a factor, you want whatever the best attuneable piece of gear you can find is. ToV T1 non-visibles are attuneable and quite a bit better than conflagrant, but you need to actually be able to get the items. That said, the heroic stats aren't significantly better, so you shouldn't expect the pet to become significantly better at dps. It will gain quite a bit in the way of tanking, though, from all the extra AC/pures.

Conflagrant is player made, so arander would have no issues replacing any piece so long as they have plenty of TS materials. The fact that heroic stats have gone through the roof because of augs not the stats on the items themselves means conflagrant is a great happy medium between accessible and powerful. That said, if you can get ToV non-visible T1 pieces for dirt cheap in the bazaar on your server, those might be worthwhile to snatch up for your pet (prices will vary since it's good non-prestige gear). Or run the ToV missions you can burn through in no time to get the chest loots as often as possible.

Purely for dps, heroic dexterity and heroic strength are the stats you should see the most benefit from, so just find whichever pieces favor those.

Last edited:
arander is referring to this one - Flowstone Cudgel - By Crusader he just means paladin - The knight (pally/SK) specific 1 hander though is what he's getting at when he says that.

Yes, i use it for 2 reasons. 1)the dmg on it is the highest dmg of any 1h in game(tradeable) and 2)the proc is a rune which is dmg absorbance which keeps pet alive, and putting 2 on pet (yes they are lore but you CAN put lore on pet, just a tad harder, and i farm that named till i have 6 in banks, 6 on toons and 1 in GB and 1 on baz) and with 2 the pet procs that rune ALOT

Question - Best Pet Toys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back