• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Bard newb needs advice. (1 Viewer)

RedCents
913¢
Starting a level 1 BRD as part of my crew and I need some advice. So, a couple of questions:

1) How useful are the Epics and at what level does the 2.0/2.5 fade in it's usefulness. More specifically, if I'm able to attain the Epics, at what point should I look to replace them.

2) Should I prioritize dam/delay ratios or weapon procs to maximize BRD melee DPS. This is mainly for the low levels because it seems at higher levels, high dam/delay AND procs seem exist on every weapon.

3) Group is SK, BRD, SHM, DRU, ENC, MAG. Since I have both 1 melee + 4 pets and 3 casters to add aDPS, can I do both? If so, are there any suggestions about song lineups you generally use to accomplish both melee aDPS and caster aDPS?

4) Any general tips or questions I should have asked, but didn't, please include your thoughts. Help me go from Bard 'Tard to Bard Bro.

Starting a level 1 BRD as part of my crew and I need some advice. So, a couple of questions:

1) How useful are the Epics and at what level does the 2.0/2.5 fade in it's usefulness. More specifically, if I'm able to attain the Epics, at what point should I look to replace them.

2) Should I prioritize dam/delay ratios or weapon procs to maximize BRD melee DPS. This is mainly for the low levels because it seems at higher levels, high dam/delay AND procs seem exist on every weapon.

3) Group is SK, BRD, SHM, DRU, ENC, MAG. Since I have both 1 melee + 4 pets and 3 casters to add aDPS, can I do both? If so, are there any suggestions about song lineups you generally use to accomplish both melee aDPS and caster aDPS?

4) Any general tips or questions I should have asked, but didn't, please include your thoughts. Help me go from Bard 'Tard to Bard Bro.

1. The 2.0 does fade in usefulness to a degree, but it is definitely still worth having at level 125 as it provides a buff to your entire group on use.

2. I am not 100% certain on this answer, but generally you will prefer straight damage on your weapons over a proc.

4. RGMercs Lua does a great job with bard automation. Check it out :)

One live servers, the 1.0 is useless at all levels. 2.0 stays relevant for the entire game, but you'll probably never actually equip it. You just want it in the bag for the clicky. All of the epics can be soloed at higher levels (I usually grab them around 90 when it's trivial but tedious).

Sadly, at lower levels bard melee dps isn't going to be good regardless of weapon. It gets better at higher levels through AAs, but at that point the weapons are all the same anyway. I honestly wouldn't worry about bard weapons until way later (like the 80s or something). If you do have to decide, ratio is more important than procs.

At low levels you can really only provide for melee and pets once they get the appropriate AA (somewhere in the 60s). At higher levels you can provide for everyone. I'd take a look at some of the Kissassist ini files to see lineups at certain levels. It changes a lot as you level. You can also just use RGMercs which will mostly take care of it for you.

Since you have both a SHM and an ENC, your bard really wont be doing much at lower levels. The only thing they'll really bring is DS and overhaste when you get it.

My first honest thought is a Bard doesn't fit in that group. You want another DPS Pet class Like a Beastlord. That's a caster group A Bard's real Benefit is in a Melee DPS group. As for the Bard's Epic 2.0 losin usefulness it nver does it becomes a must have clicky. For a Melee DPS group. You have a caster group A Bard isn't really great DPS on their on you need another Pet class to take advantage of Mage Pet Toys and Beast Lord also Nukes and melees. And they are double tough usually the last to die. You may want to make a Bard but you really should for the caster group make a BeastLord.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's very helpful.

My first honest thought is a Bard doesn't fit in that group. You want another DPS Pet class Like a Beastlord. That's a caster group A Bard's real Benefit is in a Melee DPS group. As for the Bard's Epic 2.0 losin usefulness it nver does it becomes a must have clicky. For a Melee DPS group. You have a caster group A Bard isn't really great DPS on their on you need another Pet class to take advantage of Mage Pet Toys and Beast Lord also Nukes and melees. And they are double tough usually the last to die. You may want to make a Bard but you really should for the caster group make a BeastLord.

Rob, I appreciate you taking the time, and you are always welcome to comment and give your opinion, truly, as I enjoy your perspective. But this is not a thread about group builds. I mentioned in another thread that I will create some more alts - one of which is a BST - to experiment with in the future, maybe even form a second group - but I've decided to go with this group for good or ill. If you have any tips for me about using a BRD like weapons, epics, song lists, anything really, I'd appreciate it.

Regards.

1) epic is still useful, can have it alternating with fierce eye for good uptime on the buffs
2) focus weapon ratio, as expansions get on you'll get procs on them regardless. you can throw pet proc aug from guk ldon to help boost the of many line on your mage quicker
3) Depends if TLP or post HoT kind of deal. on TLP youd want haste/overhaste, DS, mana regen and maybe mix in AE slow with no DoT or resist debuff.
4) if driving your bard you can set a very high pace for your group, get comfy chain pulling with that line up.

1) epic is still useful, can have it alternating with fierce eye for good uptime on the buffs
2) focus weapon ratio, as expansions get on you'll get procs on them regardless. you can throw pet proc aug from guk ldon to help boost the of many line on your mage quicker
3) Depends if TLP or post HoT kind of deal. on TLP youd want haste/overhaste, DS, mana regen and maybe mix in AE slow with no DoT or resist debuff.
4) if driving your bard you can set a very high pace for your group, get comfy chain pulling with that line up.
Awesome! Thanks very much. All that is very helpful.

Edit: I'm on FV, which is a live server as far as I understand, but DBG seems to make a distinction between FV and "live" servers for some reason. And I haven't decided if I'll drive with the SK or BRD yet. Once I learn more, then I'll be able to make a better choice. Thanks again.

Bards are great! Welcome to the club!

You’ve got most of your answers already. Wanted to double down on ratio > proc as well as epics being relevant as a clickie.

The only other thing I’ll add is play around a bunch. I can’t use my bard to the degree experts can but he can still do some amazing things!

Awesome! Thanks very much. All that is very helpful.

Edit: I'm on FV, which is a live server as far as I understand, but DBG seems to make a distinction between FV and "live" servers for some reason. And I haven't decided if I'll drive with the SK or BRD yet. Once I learn more, then I'll be able to make a better choice. Thanks again.
FV is nice for the free trade.

You might also find you like to drive different chars in different situations. If i feel like playing a different char other than my tank I'll usually set a camp. If im driving my bard I set camp in between as many mobs as I can and chain pull them. You'll find your style though, play around and see what you enjoy doing the most.

IRL - Bard newb needs advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back