• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Another returning player with questions about level 2/multibox resources (1st time) (1 Viewer)

ctsfinest

RedCents
532¢
Good morning!

After a wave of nostalgia hit me last week, I decided to see if my EQ account was still active. Lo and behold, I remembered the email I used back in 1999 and my level 40 bard was there, somewhere in some dark elf town camped on a beach (I forget the zone name). I instantly died when I logged in and moved 20 feet but hey, it worked!

I never multiboxed before and have been reading a lot of threads about it, and it seems like VV is the way to go. I am definitely interested in trying it out, but I was curious - do I have to maintain a subscription to RedGuides in order for the program to work? Or, is it just after my subscription were to expire, I wouldn't have access to updating any of the .ini or macros, can't update the program any longer etc? I want to try out EQ again with a multibox set up of full party, but I am not yet ready to make a steady monetary commitment just yet. I play other games that require subscriptions and I am particular how I budget my gaming money. Hoping to add EQ back into the mix though.

It looks like I would only need to do one gold sub (tank) and then the rest can be F2P so that's not bad if all it meant was doing that + level 2 sub on RG. Are those CWTN macro sets all paid? Like, do I pay x dollars and I have it for life? Seems expensive to get the optimal set up, but I want to enjoy playing, and doing it solo won't be fun. I also read that alt-tab boxing more than maybe 2 or 3 characters is a chore.

Thanks for any advice and apologies if I was unable to locate the correct post with my exact question!

Solution
Good morning!

After a wave of nostalgia hit me last week, I decided to see if my EQ account was still active. Lo and behold, I remembered the email I used back in 1999 and my level 40 bard was there, somewhere in some dark elf town camped on a beach (I forget the zone name). I instantly died when I logged in and moved 20 feet but hey, it worked!

I never multiboxed before and have been reading a lot of threads about it, and it seems like VV is the way to go. I am definitely interested in trying it out, but I was curious - do I have to maintain a subscription to RedGuides in order for the program to work? Or, is it just after my subscription were to expire, I wouldn't have access to updating any of the .ini or macros, can't...
Good morning!

I never multiboxed before and have been reading a lot of threads about it, and it seems like VV is the way to go. I am definitely interested in trying it out, but I was curious - do I have to maintain a subscription to RedGuides in order for the program to work? Or, is it just after my subscription were to expire, I wouldn't have access to updating any of the .ini or macros, can't update the program any longer etc? I want to try out EQ again with a multibox set up of full party, but I am not yet ready to make a steady monetary commitment just yet. I play other games that require subscriptions and I am particular how I budget my gaming money. Hoping to add EQ back into the mix though.

It looks like I would only need to do one gold sub (tank) and then the rest can be F2P so that's not bad if all it meant was doing that + level 2 sub on RG. Are those CWTN macro sets all paid? Like, do I pay x dollars and I have it for life? Seems expensive to get the optimal set up, but I want to enjoy playing, and doing it solo won't be fun. I also read that alt-tab boxing more than maybe 2 or 3 characters is a chore.

Thanks for any advice and apologies if I was unable to locate the correct post with my exact question!
hello cts,

yes if you want to have access to lvl 2 reguides, you have to maintain a subscription.

the cwtn plugins are paid - but you can do all the things you want without them, there are a number of great automation suites - from frameworks to play how you like, to more out-of-the-box minimal setup/config style.

No, the CWTN plugins are not for life. they are $20 per resource per 12 months, or the cwtn plugins are included with your lvl 2 redguides subscription on the test server build. The test server also allows you to be "all access" for free, if you are looking to be mindful of your spending.

Getting Started

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

you can even keep your lvl 2 by just being a member of the community

:rc A Redcent is the currency of our community. You can trade them in for Level 2 access, Krono, and more. Learn about them here:

Solution
It looks like I would only need to do one gold sub (tank) and then the rest can be F2P so that's not bad if all it meant was doing that + level 2 sub on RG.
Gifted you a month of lvl 2 to get you started. I would highly recommend grabbing the CWTN Plugin for whatever flavor of tank you like. I believe the Pally option will be live on the 19th after patch. Tons of valuable information on Sic's signature. Spend a couple hours watching videos/reading and you will be rolling through mobs with your army in no time!

For minimal cost expense you could sub for the month, try it out and play on ftp accounts to lower the cost. I really dont see any other way to play EQ anymore outside of using MQ. All the people here are great and will help with whatever you need when it comes to setting everything up. CWTN plugins are VERY nice and a huge plus to have and i personally have now bought most of them over the last week, but running KA also works very well and i still run a druid/ranger off KA. Once you start running your own group there is no turning back!

I should have mentioned that Pally and Necro are free to test rightnow. It would be a good time to see first hand how the CWTN Plugins work! As trippa3 stated, there's no turning back once you start running with these.

Wow, thank you all so much! I will definitely give it a look later today, and have watched all those videos before. They are great! That said, if I no longer have the sub after a month, I can still use VV correct? I just won't be able to access any updates to any resources, but what I've downloaded thus far will still work?

Wow, thank you all so much! I will definitely give it a look later today, and have watched all those videos before. They are great! That said, if I no longer have the sub after a month, I can still use VV correct? I just won't be able to access any updates to any resources, but what I've downloaded thus far will still work?
if you no longer have a lvl 2 redguides subscription, you will no longer be able to access redguides level 2 stuff - including updating on the redguides launcher.

you need to keep a redguides level 2 subscription to have access to level 2 redguides stuff.

eq patches every month, life and test server - you need an active redguides subscription if you want to update those with redguides launcher.

sic said:
yes if you want to have access to lvl 2 reguides, you have to maintain a subscription.
[/code]

Great, thanks. One last question - do I have to gold sub all my accounts or only necessary to do it for my tank? That is where I was most concerned - am I going to have to shell out $50+ a month to play this game comfortably by myself, since it will be hard to group at lower levels on a live server?

Great, thanks. One last question - do I have to gold sub all my accounts or only necessary to do it for my tank? That is where I was most concerned - am I going to have to shell out $50+ a month to play this game comfortably by myself, since it will be hard to group at lower levels on a live server?
everything depends on your goals.

you can f2p everyone just fine (with an autogrant and 30 days of maxing out your AAs with a krono).

tanks have a significantly worse time being f2p than other classes due to ac (augs and gear limitations)

at lvl 40 you don't really need to worry about this too much at the moment - and as i said you can always play on the test server if you wanted free all access

Good morning!

Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

I had taken a long break, came back and EQ alone had a lot of changes, the walk throughs are nice, not everything is answered, but it's enough to be dangerous LOL... that said, I definitely found that learning and refining the INI taught me the most; experiment here, ask a question here, apply it there, seemed to teach me the most about it... I really enjoyed the older INI websites that walked me through (though I believe some are out of date or whatnot... they still were a really great place to learn a basic knowledge)

Still one of my favorites for learning and quick reference, if there's better, I am unaware... another one I liked for / macro commands was

Just a couple nuggets that help me sort it out... and then again, asking questions of the community here @ RG has been HUGE!

Good Luck and Welcome Back!

Just my two [red] cents!

You can easily maintain your level 2 in these forums. All it takes are RedCents. You can get them by "red centing" a post you find helpful which does not take away from your total and in turn if someone finds your post amusing or helpful then they can send you Red Cents. So that takes care of the forum subscription.

I type this out because so many links are given out to new players that it is easy to overlook this info

Now, the actual game subscription is as mentioned above - your choice if you want to pay for one, two, or ten accounts or play on test (free) or just old style F2P.

You got your old account back in the game with gives you a few goodies more than just a basic free account but its still free. You should see "Silver" above your character listing on your log into EQ. So for the next many levels you could also create your main or tank on that account and pay at a later date.

One of the best benefits of those old EQ accounts are that they allow you to be in general chat which is very helpful for learning and invites to pick up raids, for TA (task adds) or free armor giveaways, and guide events (depending on your server)

Usually you are your own group nowdays :hfive:

WB!

Question - Another returning player with questions about level 2/multibox resources (1st time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back