• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Dbg eq 2024 AMA Thread. (1 Viewer)

The entire EQ AMA thread was beyond depressing, it seems like the devs are mostly wanting good things for the game, but are being handcuffed/restrained to an extreme level. As expected they also avoided a lot of the really difficult questions, I saw no mention of the massive exploits and several dupes that have haunted the game quite recently -- only a couple of mentions regarding cheating that seemed to mostly point the finger at UNATTENDED automatic gameplay, but maybe that's just my interpretation and wishful thinking.

TL;DR expect the company to do the absolute bare minimum to keep their cash cow afloat rather than invest anything into it.

I was trying to find where RG was discussing the AMA and my search came up with the 2020 AMA results. What’s funny is that it had the same sentiment as this one -- basically not much said.

This is a bit cynical, but this AMA comes off as essentially a manager saying "We're going to do an AMA, so you can't answer with just 'no' because people will get annoyed" so everyone did a find and replace on "no" and replaced it with "This is certainly something we can look at. We have no ETA."

I was trying to find where RG was discussing the AMA and my search came up with the 2020 AMA results. What’s funny is that it had the same sentiment as this one -- basically not much said.

This is a bit cynical, but this AMA comes off as essentially a manager saying "We're going to do an AMA, so you can't answer with just 'no' because people will get annoyed" so everyone did a find and replace on "no" and replaced it with "This is certainly something we can look at. We have no ETA."

That is exactly what I was thinking when I read that. It was also maybe a way for them to get ideas for what to put in for the next expansion.

Eventually you see this - companies are the product of a person's ingenuity and inspiration. Over time, this fades and usually within 30 years the company will dissolve. Everquest has really done an outstanding job in weathering a lot of significant changes in the hardware, software, and in the world in general. We all love it and are still engaged with it, but certainly none of us can be surprised to hear these answers of noncommital middle managers who don't know when they're going to be put on the dole.

A ffew things I got out of it reading between the lines.
1. Dev team is super small now
2. Most the finite dev hours are spent on the next expansion not fixing bugs.
3. Niente and Ngrath really really hate MQ and wish it could be permeantly stopped.

That leads me to me interpretation of things based on my business acumen.
This Studio is dwindling down. EQ is in a phase where it's still a cash cow but on the tail end of that curve.
Unless they have something planned, I do not see a viability model for the future. As to a time table i'm not sure as long as the current model continues to make money it could last a decade but once the funds start dwindling down . It won't surprise me if it goes into maintenance mode.
They need something new and fresh with the IP to continue on in the future.

Yes, there are talks about something within the IP but nothing concrete it's in the ideation phase no this does not mean EQ3 is coming. It means they are trying to brainstorm ideas that may or may not become viable to develop.

and No, I don't think they will pull the plug anytime soon. I'm just seeing signs that the resources keep getting slashed and less content keeps getting made it's not healthy and points to a live service games life cycle winding down.

I may completely be off base. just the way I see it, that's my 2cp.

Guys I do know one thing about business. If a business is bringing profit it will not be shut down. They must he really bad business people to not continue to produce more EQ content. Actually the problem might not even be EQ. The problems can be coming in from other games or ventures, that making then cut back money. The problem is they might be thing that EQ is old and are thing the people that are playing will die and then who will play. But for the next 5 to 10 years, I believe EQ will still be around.

Guys I do know one thing about business. If a business is bringing profit it will not be shut down. They must he really bad business people to not continue to produce more EQ content. Actually the problem might not even be EQ. The problems can be coming in from other games or ventures, that making then cut back money. The problem is they might be thing that EQ is old and are thing the people that are playing will die and then who will play. But for the next 5 to 10 years, I believe EQ will still be around.

I think SOE/Darkpaw/daybreaks biggest mistake over the years was how much money they funneled out of their cash cow into failed venture after failed venture vs even having slightly increased resource funding to the cash cow.

That wage is not competitive especially for the engineers. It’s just going to be a bunch of kids fresh out of school that no one else will take and they’ll work there until they get enough experience to go elsewhere. Thus we get wonderful features such as the kaleidoscope effect and unhittable mobs.

Sorry for the picture spam, but they have 3 separate job postings, Game Designer, Creative Director, Art Director, all with the shared descriptions of working on an unannounced cross-platform RPG. I have no idea what it can be since current dev estimates put the darkpaw 'team' at around 8-10 people total for running EQ, You can see the full listings at Daybreak Careers
1711959959273.png1711960023574.png1711960061249.png

Discussion - Dbg eq 2024 AMA Thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back