• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Account hacking - heads up (1 Viewer)

tsguy

RedCents
Heads up for folks on Stromm. A handful of accounts have been hacked in recent days. There hasn't been a relationship/link found between the relevant people so we are unsure how it occured. (4 of them are in our guild but besides that there is not a common connection - the folks don't know each other well enough to provide account info and there isn't a common person that has the info for all 4.)

Not trying to sound a huge alarm or claim the sky is falling, just a general FYI. Something to keep an eye on. Will update if more is determined.

Some folks in my guild had a bunch of failed login attempts recently. Keep your passwords safe; don't post them on message boards or in IMs or anything else. Scan your PC for spyware/adware.

Actually alot of morons use there passowrd and logins for forums the same as there eq account, aint nothing cooler then have admin on teh website and loggin in and doing some neat stuff !

This was a bit more nefarious than just the password. Somehow the secret passwords were also obtained. The individual then called SOE claiming ownership of the account. When our members called SOE they then had 2 people claiming the account - SOE put the account on banned status.

It took our guildies digging up their original CDs for some of the earlier expansions to prove the account was theirs. They also provided detailed billing records.

No clue how this person would have gotten access to secret password information. It was certainly not given out.

We have confirmation that single individuals in two other guilds have also been hit.

Again, not trying to claim the sky is falling, just a heads up.

The best thing you can do for a hacker is set your secret password to "What is the color of your eyes"

Unless you answered something like "purple with green polkadots", which most people don't, it's a snap to figure out. How many options are there? You most lilely typed 'Blue" or "Brown" "Green" or "Hazel" Wow. 8 possible choices (Allowing for the answer being case sensitive) I'm definitely not a 'hacker' in that I can't break my way out of a paper bag, but I was able to unlock a guildmate's acct (at their request) and reset their PW for them with only 4 tries at that one.

SoE needs to put a limiter (Like vBulletin has) on their login attempts.

We thought of that, all security questions were different and not obvious, ie, favorite animal but having an odd spelling of the animal.

Account hacking - heads up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back