• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - 6 box melee - Cleric or Shaman for heals? (1 Viewer)

Tonydews

RedCents
602¢
Current Melee 6 box setup is WAR/CLR/BRD/MNK/ROG/BST

Currently playing on Test and my goal is to do (well as far as I can go) all dungeons and raid progression on my own with that box comp alone (slightly over leveling stuff won't hurt either).

HOWEVER, I don't know if I am shooting myself in the foot for not including a shaman instead of a cleric. I know cleric heals are bonkers, but shaman buffs are great and has slows too (though both my BST and Bard can do that job, no?). Should I replace BST with shaman and have both healers in the group?

Any advice and help regarding that composition would be appreciated, if there's another class I must have in it please feel free to tell..! I want to optimize it as much as possible before taking on that endeavor of progressing through all content (mainly old, til ToV/CoV I guess or before) .

PS: No I'm not interesting in switching for a full casters team.

cleric is fine - shm is more dps, but also requires more work (2.0, rez stick, rez tokens - knowing your limits), clr is easy mode

for modern game i don't even bother with single target slow, i let aoe slow fire or the slow belt proc

I run WAR/RNG/BST/BARD/SHM/CLR. for group content and missions. Cleric is a great asset for groups, and a shaman has the ability to not only back up heal, but can dps as well. Personally I would remove the monk or rogue from your group and keep the bst for adps. My two cents.

SHM aren't great main healers until 105ish, but that would still be my vote in a melee group. Do CLR until 105ish then take a break to PL SHM up and switch over from there.

I run WAR/RNG/BST/BARD/SHM/CLR. for group content and missions. Cleric is a great asset for groups, and a shaman has the ability to not only back up heal, but can dps as well. Personally I would remove the monk or rogue from your group and keep the bst for adps. My two cents.
I never thought about ranger. How far does it scale in DPS viability VS a Monk?

Personally, I'd just leave the cleric as healer and consider switching the monk out for either a ranger or zerker. Ranger will do more dmg on headshottable content and combined with rogue assassinate mobs will die super fast. Zerker will likely be slightly better dps than monk but will also add more adps via increased crit dmg for the group. So easiest way to improve would be swap monk for zerker, but honestly even then, I don't think that would be a completely game-changing swap all things equal.

Even with your group composition as is, you should be able to complete all group content once you master controlling the automation. If you can't beat a mission it's likely not going to be a result of your group makeup. Usually it's struggling to handle automating mechanics with multiple toons that hold up most 6 box teams.

When it comes to just group content, there really is no reason to not go shaman. Yes shamans take more work to get there, but it's worth it. As sic said, clerics are kinda easy mode.
I lean the opposite. they have a BST, so I would go CLR. Leveling up I just ran until my extended targets was full, then stopped and killed all of them. without cleric heals, it wasn't possible (and some of them, I even had BST set to use Mending)

Currently playing on Test and my goal is to do (well as far as I can go) all dungeons and raid progression on my own with that box comp alone (slightly over leveling stuff won't hurt either).

HOWEVER, I don't know if I am shooting myself in the foot for not including a shaman instead of a cleric. I know cleric heals are bonkers, but shaman buffs are great and has slows too (though both my BST and Bard can do that job, no?). Should I replace BST with shaman and have both healers in the group?

Any advice and help regarding that composition would be appreciated, if there's another class I must have in it please feel free to tell..! I want to optimize it as much as possible before taking on that endeavor of progressing through all content (mainly old, til ToV/CoV I guess or before) .

I just run a shm, heals my group np at all in group content. Cleric is fine of course but if geared well with AA not really needed imo

I started off using a cleric because it was my alt at the time of the leap into this endless void of EQ the better way! Then I made a shammy got her lvled and used her for basically everything and forgot about the cleric for most of NoS! Im now back to having the cleric in group and not the shammy. She just sits in guild hall and I campfire her out if I need buffs or if I wipe she is waiting to rebuff me in the hall! After going back and forth, Ive decided to stick with the cleric as I just like it better. I can do way more extremely questionable stuff with the Cleric healing instead. I dont even have a real slower in my group. Been running SK, CLR, BARD, MAGE, MAGE as the main five and the 6 is a wild card depending the mood Im that day! lately its been my chanter!

Working on SK ENC DRU MAG MAG MAG now and when bard plug-in is out I was thinking
SK SHM BRD BST BER BER

Already have my SHM ENC SK and two of the mages gears and leveled. Have a ready to go cleric as well but only use him when in trouble. SHM and one mage on one account. DRU and cleric on the same. I was thinking to put the bard on the same account as the chanter. Only want to have 6 account subbed/Krono’d.

Things I should change? Any thoughts?

Have a ready to go cleric as well but only use him when in trouble. SHM and one mage on one account. DRU and cleric on the same. I was thinking to put the bard on the same account as the chanter. Only want to have 6 account subbed/Krono’d.

Things I should change? Any thoughts?
Seriously consider not putting chars on same account. Someday you'll want them all! (I have my regrets for recreating a toon for this reason)

I don't feel like you lose much keeping the cleric over a shaman. Yes there will be some DPS loss but that group will already have a good amount of DPS already. The war/monk/Bst/Rog/Bard combo should maintain 900-1.2mill dps (or higher) at 115 fighting trash mobs. This is compared to my SK/mag x3/enchanter which is 1-1.5 mil at 115 (snowbound/conflag gear F2P, gold tank 115 raid geared)

Minmaxing - If your warrior is geared to the teeth yea go for the shaman and switch the monk for a zerker or second rogue.

Otherwise I think you got a good set up.

Thanks to everyone's 2 cent on this. I personally was decided to go with Cleric until level cap 110+, before potentially switching to a Shaman. Cleric might be over healing a lot, but I got a BST to compensate a bit with some diet shaman buffs. Even without buffs, living DPS is better than dead DPS, as I've read once.

I have always favored the cleric for leveling teams - the shaman has some serious level gaps in there where it cant solo a group effectively (especially a FTP team). Yes, shm can reliably take over post 100 ish with AA and some extra work - but cleric never has a level gap that they cant dominate healing through.

Another option though - that isnt spoken of as much - you can build a team and have a cleric sit outside the group and babysit heal through difficult levels via X-target heals.

Question - 6 box melee - Cleric or Shaman for heals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back