• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - 4 Box looking to go 6 Box (1 Viewer)

Livilla

RedCents
181¢
I currently run a Mage/Bst/Dru/Brd as my 4 box. All are 95 and Gold. Curious what more experienced people would suggest adding to the group if were to go to a full 6 man group. I presume tank and cleric. But I am not sure if its really needed.
Looking for some advice from folks.

I assume if I go a real tank I will need to drive it versus the bard? Also what type of tank do you advise?
some folks drive on their non-tank toons, but in my experience one you start trying to do progression and missions and such, driving on the tank makes things much easier.

any of the tanks are fine. SK are very popular boxing tanks because they are a little OP and have a great toolbox for boxing, but any of the tanks is fine

The fun party from what I heard will be trying to gear the darn tank which im told is going to take months and months before it is useful
definitely can feel that way! tanks are needy with AAs, gear, and Augs.

Warrior has much less AAs than SKs do, so if that is a concern, warrior might be a better choice for your needs, and they are fine tanks

For current "ToL" xpac, warriors need somewhere around 44.6k AAs, where SKs need 67.5k AAs, big diff
1639607982015.png

I doubt group gear even t4 is going to be good on a tank which is my main concern the augs are easy enough to camp lol
I'm not sure what content you're doing, but all my toons are group geared and i manage to do all the group content alright. Aug camps can just take a little bit of time, but you're also getting xp/aaxp while you're camping them, so double-dipping is nice

Mage/Bst/Dru/Brd
This is an intersting group makup. Are you normally Tanking with Mage Pet?
You might find it really awesome to stick with Casters and add another Mage, Necro or Wiz. If you didnt have an attachment to the Brd, Id drop Brd for a ENC in a caster group.

So you would end up with MAG/MAG/NEC/BST/DRU/ENC.

You would end up with All Pet classes (Yes Druid Pet is hopeless, but its still a Pet, and Druid DPS is really very good)

This would be a FUN group. But as Sic pointed out - the Holy Trinity (TANK/HEALER/CC) is what really works best at the higher end of the game.

Troll SK, and Troll Shammy to your original group and you will have no issues at end game. SK/SHM/MAG/BST/DRU/BRD is a good group

SK has some really great utility stuff that makes it really independant. (Lev, Invis, FD, IVU)
WAR is aesome tank - but if you want to do sneaky stuff your SOL
PAL has improved a lot lately and now have some decent agro abilities, and good Grp healing - But they still cant be Trolls, and also not good at sneaky stuff.

Sic,

Offtopic I saw your mage for EQNext I dont suppose you have anything based around a level 95/100 since i play on TPL servers. Its a pain in the butt anymore to find a proper mage burn for raids, downside to taking a 5 year break from game lol. If ya have any advice let me know.

The CWTN plugins will really make your boxing life easier, and will scale as you level.

If you haven't learned the class - then they are the best way to get running at 100% straight out of the box.

You could get a heroic SK and SHM and incorprate them straight into your existing group in minutes.

The CWTN plugins will really make your boxing life easier, and will scale as you level.

If you haven't learned the class - then they are the best way to get running at 100% straight out of the box.

You could get a heroic SK and SHM and incorprate them straight into your existing group in minutes.
Sadly heroic is not available on TLP servers.

Livilla:

I can't speak for pet tanking high lvl stuff but once you get into ToV the stuff hits very hard. I tried running a group of 4 mages, enc and clr. I had so much fun with that group until i started having aggro issues, granted i was driving the enc and didn't know how to properly have the mages setup for pet tanking the right way. If you plan on just puttering through the expansions I think you will be fine, but if you are wanting to push your way to max lvl you might consider a tank and healer. I tank for a group of friends that is several expansions back because they are a casual guild and we use a healer merc and it really doesn't work well, that is when I ask them if I can bring my cleric as well and makes my life easier.

First off congratulations on moving up to 6! It's the gateway to having 12 or more lol.

Serious note here. I have played the group I enjoy for many years, I dropped my bard a few years ago, swapped for a ranger. Why? I just love bow damage lol.

Anyhow, my normal setup Necro, Mage, Enchanter, Sham, Druid, and Ranger. So, I've yet to have the "need" for my Ranger to tank anything, but she does have Augs if need be. The mage pet is generally the main tank, I drive my necro, do all the pulls ect.

Through progression into harder content, I have realized, you can do it with pets, but a few requirements are needed. Obviously the best EM earrings you can get, but honestly having two healers is a must. My Sham is my main healer, but him and my druid both dps also. Heals come first always of course. But, I find my pets spike a lot and generally take a lot of damage.

So, I spent a little time getting a paladin up and geared. I just like paladins, just require that special someone to shine! I noticed right off the bat my group was doing a ton less of dps without the necro, but my healers weren't healing as much.

But, when you look at the downtime ect, the mage pet actually was an improvement overall. Now, when I moved into harder instanced content, well.... My pets were basically useless, thus the rain of the paladin. Even though the dps is less, I can cruise through content easier. Also, I dropped the druid, and put a necro in, I just cannot help myself lol.

Next group setup I plan to do is. War or Sk (leaning towards War), Rogue/Ranger, Bst, Zerk, Bard, Sham or cleric. I really love Shammies, damn do they shine! But, I've not really had a cleric in my group past Omens, so something for me to think about. Also, not had a Rogue in my group since Omens, so figured might be time.

Anyhow, play what you enjoy. There's always a way to make things work, but in the end, most all of us have a real task these days.

Happy hunting!

Sic or anyone else,

End game right now (im in VOA on Progression server) can a druid and shaman reliably heal a group without a cleric being needed? Honestly im really tempted to add a shaman for the buffs/dps boost on pets (especially swarm pets). But I need to be sure they can heal the group (Without the need for a cleric) and an SK tank im going with

Last edited:
Sic or anyone else,

End game right now (im in VOA on Progression server) can a druid and shaman reliably heal a group without a cleric being needed? Honestly im really tempted to add a shaman for the buffs/dps boost on pets (especially swarm pets). But I need to be sure they can heal the group (Without the need for a cleric) and an SK tank im going with

I can say without a doubt yes! Sham would be your main heals, with druid backing up. I progressed through with both those healers in VoA era. I did mine with pets tanking, so with a real tank you should have no issues.

Question - 4 Box looking to go 6 Box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back