• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Macro Writing Guide (1 Viewer)

RedCents
113¢
Hey Guys,
I cant seem to find stickied anywhere, anything about how to write macros etc, from beginners level up has anyone got a link so that I could read up on how to start writing my own macros etc

Cheers Webb

The easiest way, for me anyways, is to write a very very basic macro and add features as you need them. For example, a macro that does nothing but heal when a target gets below a certain percentage. Then once you figure that out, branch out to group healing then buffing and possibly nuking.

The MQ2 wiki is an extremely valuable source and should be book marked for quick reference. There's also an extremely helpful community willing to assist you but i'd use that as a last resource because you'll learn more if you can figure it out yourself.

I was going to write about basic constructs in MQ2 but it looks like Pete's videos have that covered pretty well. Very nice!

One thing I should add that Macroquest2 is not a great first programming language because how much it requires /goto type commands which are easy to misuse by producing spaghetti code.

Sooo, if you are new to programming in general I'd recommend getting some other "regular" language under the belt.

Check out some Python tutorials for a readable language. There are many alternatives but personally I would recommend against Javascript as a first language: http://www.sitepoint.com/whats-best-programming-language-learn-2015/

I'm the opposite and found MQ2 to be extremely easy to learn and understand without prior programming experience. Between the wiki and macros to reference it was quite easy to pick up on.

Not sure I would call writing macros a programming language. I think of it more like writing scripts. One thing that tormented me for while was calling subroutines from within a subroutine until the macro knotted itself up and crashed. Now I know keep the main routine simple and always /return to the main after a /call, lol.

Thankyou so much guys, I will have a look at some snippets etc and figure it out from there :). If think i may find it a tad hard because i am not used to scripts etc. Anyway thanks again for all the replies!

Not sure I would call writing macros a programming language. I think of it more like writing scripts. One thing that tormented me for while was calling subroutines from within a subroutine until the macro knotted itself up and crashed. Now I know keep the main routine simple and always /return to the main after a /call, lol.

In my book writing scripts == programming :)

I mean MQ2 is Turing Complete(branching, conditionals) -> thus a programming language, albeit one rather domain specific.

My main point was: if MQ2 is your first entry into programming then just like starting with old 80s BASIC(guilty!) you can pick up a lot of bad habits (ie excessively spaghetty code) easily.

Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Considered_harmful

So yeah, keep Main simple and use lot of subs, try to minimize globals, etc. etc.

In my book writing scripts == programming :)

I mean MQ2 is Turing Complete(branching, conditionals) -> thus a programming language, albeit one rather domain specific.

My main point was: if MQ2 is your first entry into programming then just like starting with old 80s BASIC(guilty!) you can pick up a lot of bad habits (ie excessively spaghetty code) easily.

Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Considered_harmful

So yeah, keep Main simple and use lot of subs, try to minimize globals, etc. etc.

BASIC

I haven't thought about that in years...

I guess when I think programming languages I think of stuff that has to be compiled. I am not even close to a programmer, but I can write macros and other rather simple scripts. Maybe I should have a real programmer look at some of my macros.... It would probable be humbling for me.

Question - Macro Writing Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back