• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Zone Faster (1 Viewer)

Doofgod

RedCents
I have noticed my zone times are down... can you guys give me the top 10 tweaks to decrease zone times. Please(and Thanks in advance)I am running 2 gigs ram crappy 2500amd processor but I am seeing celerons zone faster then me there must be some way...

and my internet is super fast! hummm

If your using Windows XP

Right Click My Computer > Properties > Performance

Virtual Memory > Custom Paging File

1500-3000

That helped me.

Also, turning off models you dont care about helps processing speed.

Of my three computers, this one is a 1.3 duron with 1 gig SD Ram. And it runs two accounts perfect. Cause I turn off all services I dont need...

Look in control panel.

Also fast internet can still be a cause to slow zoning. If ping times are up, when I lived in the city my ping was 61, now same isp in the country is 121-135, made zoning alot longer.

N

heh, well if its just because of resources

Go to Start>Run> type in "msconfig"
From there you can disable almost every thing in startup tab

If you arn't satsfied with that you can go into Services start down at the bottom
theres a box that says Hide All Microsoft Services can disable any thing
that isn't hidden

While were on topics of performance
Another neat little thing i found out is gpedit.msc

Click start>run type in gpedit.msc
Once there you'll see Computer Configuration double click
From there double click Administrative Templates
Then Windows Componets
And finally Windows Update

From there you can disable or enable that annoying RE-PROMPT for restart after you install updates or allow automatic updates to install immediately. Theres plenty of good options to know you have.

Thats about all the useful info i can think of

Last edited:
Uhhm still no go.. I tried gpedit.msc but it doesnt run it rest of stuff I have tried and done many times... have all models off besides ogre only one I use. only non system exe processes I have running during EQ are (eqgame/explorer/wscntfly) then I have about 13 (system) processes running and 2 network and 3 (local servive)

is your 2 gigs RAM on one chip? Dual chips would be considerably faster.

a few things i found, adjust graphics to 16 bit mode, I can't even tell the difference. make sure /log is not on as well. Even if you need it on, keep that file small.

Clean the computer for adware or spyware

Nice tips. You aren't alone. The most recent patch was a resource hog.

Before that last patch, I could run 7 characters on one machine (boxing 5 actively with 2 mostly sitting around.) and still have decent performance. Now, with all 7 sitting next to Banker Maxforthe in the Bazaar, it is a royal pain in the ass just to swap gear around with all the lag.

I think I could use some of the suggestions above to help out. I do run logging and journeling on all 7, etc.

Thanks.

oh, BTW, max page file is something like 4028. I set min&max to the maximum value, then ran perfect disk to defrag the page file. Not sure if zoning time improved, but the initial load-up of 7 EQ's is a bit faster now.

For those who want to know my setup, I run WinEQ, EQPlayNice, 3.6 GB RAM (4GB on chip, but not all of it shows up for some reason), Athlon 2600+ X2 (that's a dual-core processor), and the fastest 10K RPM hard drive I could get at the time I bought my system. I would recommend a second drive if you can afford it so your paging will be on one drive and EQ on the other.

Problem with pirated windows now a days is the windows genuin validation check I thought. I have not have this issue, but I know it can be a pain if you get a copy off a peer-to-peer system.

About defragging... the proper way to defrag is to turn off Virtual Memory (the page file discussed) reset the computer so it's running w/o VRAM and then defrag, when that's all done turn VRAM back on 1500-4028 or whatever you decide you wish to try and reset again.

Best practice to set the min and max to the same number/value. Having a difference will cause fragmentation in your page file which will in actuality slow down performance, even though you set it larger.

Zone Faster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back