• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Which MMORPG is the biggest waste of time? (1 Viewer)

Which MMORPG is (or was) the biggest waste of time?

• Total voters

Frybread

RedCents
31¢
Here's how this works:
amount of time required to obtain "raid" level / amount of good armor drops per raid boss * avg number of people required in raid + the amount of fun you have - the amount of time where "this game feels like a job" / how much "this game feels like a job" time can be cured with bots or purchased gold * 7.3 = X

does it count if wow is all i play (besides some little stint in FF, but that doesn't count, kinda like that BABY ISN'T MINE< OKATY

Any game that is not on my WoW server is trivial & meaningless--and therefore, "the biggest waste of time".

EQ no contest. The amount of time you have to invest getting to 70, max AA, and raiding for loot is absolutely ludicrous.

Well I never played EQ but my vote would go to FFXI, which is not up there. Any game where you have to wait hours at times looking for a group before you can even start playing is just ridiculous. I only put up with it as long as I did because it was my first MMORPG and I was still kind of amazed at the whole thing. But I soon realized logging in to sit around in town and ... wait .... was not my idea of fun.

Well I never played EQ but my vote would go to FFXI, which is not up there. Any game where you have to wait hours at times looking for a group before you can even start playing is just ridiculous. I only put up with it as long as I did because it was my first MMORPG and I was still kind of amazed at the whole thing. But I soon realized logging in to sit around in town and ... wait .... was not my idea of fun.

LOL was it FFXI or Phantasy Star Online where you couldn't even pick your server to start--meaning even if you had a friend IRL that you wanted to play w/, you couldn't even get on his server until you had played your main on another random server to a certain degree at which point you were allowed to start a new char on a server of your choice. I never played either game, but I've read the horror stories. :-P

There was a vote for Asheron's Call 2? I didn't know people played Asheron's Call 2.

yes, many of these games had some crazy time sinks and whatnot, but i personally had fun playing them, laughing, making friends etc. and so they were not a waste of time to me....but my month in AC2 was the exception. i think i logged on once in the last two weeks of my game time and verbally poo-pooed in chat before i logged out and uninstalled.

I took "Biggest waste of time" to mean "game that looked cool but past the character screen isn't worth more than a bunch of flaming hair on a pile of dog shit". So I voted City of Heroes.

FFXI

Umm... FFXI gets my vote again and again. Let's see... so my wife is cheating on my with some guy from New York she met on FFXI. Yeah, that's all the reason I need.

umm
why is SWG not up there?!

spending god damn years grinding for jedi to then find out the nobs at SOE have made it so anyone can become jedi!!!

also, once u get to the highest level, there not much else to do other than grind money. but they also took that away!
i spent my time running around talking bout crap to people id never met :)

I VOTE SWG!

Umm... FFXI gets my vote again and again. Let's see... so my wife is cheating on my with some guy from New York she met on FFXI. Yeah, that's all the reason I need.

Sounds like Wife was the way bigger waste of time--after all, when you stop playing FFXI, its not like Square Enix comes knocking on your door to collect ailimony.

EQ was a huge time sink but most of the other games were huge time sinks that completely sucked. At least I had a good deal of fun in the EQ days...

CoH/CoV, AC2, FFXI, SWG, EQ2, etc were all really fun until you got past the character editor...

I've never reached 'raid level' in any game, so I can't really say with any accuracy.

I did spend a lot of boring time traveling in EVE, though. Any game you keep a book next to you when you play is probably wasting too much time, I guess.

yea i think EQ1 was for me, i mean i tried to solo 'til i hit level 25, then just gave up and went to SWG. had fun until they gutted the game which is when i jumped to WoW. been stuck here ever since. at least until the day that will never come, a Fallout mmorpg as crude and bloody as 1+2.

I voted DAOC because once you get in their, grind the same TDs over and over and over and over and finally get to PvP (or RvR as it's called) you realise that it's the worst system ever and another grind in itself. Don't even ask about the non-classic servers and their 'artifact' system.

The biggest waste of time goes to SWG, cause after people dumped 2 years into it, SOE wiped the slate on everyone with their NGE bullshit.

FFXI would get my vote, any game that forces you to group up should be illegal. but then again if one doesnt like to group up, one shouldnt be playing MMORPGs.

FFXI would get my vote, any game that forces you to group up should be illegal. but then again if one doesnt like to group up, one shouldnt be playing MMORPGs.

FFXI is the worst.

First off, NO PVP!!!

It starts off not fun by how you have to keep re-making your character/account or whatever, until you land on the same server as your friends. They can buy you a ticket to hook up with them, but it is prohibitively expensive for lowbies, so unless you want to wait a few weeks you gotta keep remaking. Usually takes like 20 tries.

Game has a latency bias against americans. This is because all the servers are in japaneseland. It's not as bad as you'd think, as far as lag, but it's terrible in other ways. Anytime you try to compete with a person in japan for something, you lose 100% of the time.
When the game started, all the japanese were already very high level. You didn't want to auction anything for profit did you? Well too bad, because everything not max-level is worthless from day 1 and there's already 50 on the auction block.
Language barrier. There's a translator, but it's too hard for them to use. So you can talk to them, but alot of times they won't even bother to respond.

Good things: We nuked their asses good in WW2.

Leveling starts off not so bad. You slowly accumulate powers and whatnot as normal for mmos. You can solo just fine until 20ish, then grouping becomes better. By 30's soloing is much much slower and becomes very risky. Eventually I assume you must group to do anything, from what I've heard, and waiting for a group begins to take up 75-90% of your playtime. Having fun yet?

Also, the ammount of exp required to level doubles every level (I think, or just about doubles). Yet, the ammount of exp you gain per kill never increases. I seem to recall bonuses for fast chaining and being in a group, but it's pretty insignificant. When level 50 requires 10,000,000 times the exp required to reach level 25 and you still get the same 200 exp per kill. Dying causes exp loss, costing you hours.
You might spend 3 hours LFG, get in a group, kill shit for an hour, wipe a few times and lose 3 hours worth of exp. So you net -2hours exp. nice!

Because exp'ing is so risky, noone will even look at you to group if you dont' have the best gear for your level. Also, you better have good friends, because noone else is going to be willing to help you get those items which you will need to group with anyone.

There is also subjobs. Which basically require you to go back to level 1 as a new class, and do everything over again. If your subjob is not 1/2 your main class, you can forget about grouping with anyone.
And if you wanted your main class to be one of the "secret" classes, you end up having to level atleast 3 classes fairly high. The first 2 just to unlock the class you want. Then the third time as that class.

Which MMORPG is the biggest waste of time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back