• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Vista (1 Viewer)

Ryzon

RedCents
410¢
I felt like inflicting some pain on myself and installed Vista. I'm very proud to say that within 10 minutes I was able to blue screen it and jack up the OS so bad I couldn't even get back into safe mode. When Vista warns you not to install something, Do Listen.

On a side note, my second installation went smoother. The performance is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be . I can easily run 2 copies of EQ on a 2.6GHz P4 and 1.5GB of RAM.

It's not that the performance is absolutely horrible... it's that it's around 10% slower, when Vista's supposed to be "better." I've heard there are some nice network and user management improvements, but what benefit is there in Vista to the average person?

Look at all the disadvantages.
- Lots of driver issues (correctible through updates, yes, but a disadvantage now)
- Poorer performance on same hardware
- Software incompatibility (some programs won't run)
- Permissions issues for running software (some programs won't run w/o Admin access, which is an advanced issue for a non-techy)
- Licensing issues
- The cost for the OS, in most cases (some got free upgrades, but check out my last point)
- The cost for new software revisions to offset compatibility issues
- DRM handcuffs
- The cost PC retailers have to pay for bundled Vista licenses gets passed back to you in the form of more expensive machines, or cutbacks in quality! I hope you enjoy those "free" Vista upgrade coupons.

I mean, JFC, Vista is a huge fiasco in my opinion, and if I had any MSFT shares I'd sell them.

I mean, JFC, Vista is a huge fiasco in my opinion, and if I had any MSFT shares I'd sell them.

I would do just the opposite. Microsoft is going to make a fortune on Vista. It hasn't been since Windows 2000 that they've had a *forced* upgrade of their most profitable product. They recently announced that DirectX 10 and most of their other new products are going to be Vista only. That combined with the fact that nearly every PC sold in the world from now on will have Vista means it's probably going to be their most successful product ever. It's not like when XP came out and you had a choice to not upgrade from Windows 2000 because all the new software still worked with it. I'll bet that by this time next year most new games will be using DirectX 10 and the industry will have shifted to producing software specifically made with Vista in mind.

Ryzon said:
I'll bet that by this time next year most new games will be using DirectX 10 and the industry will have shifted to producing software specifically made with Vista in mind.

Any developer with brains will make their game backwards compatible, else they're shutting out a big percentage of the market. Not everyone upgrades every year. Maybe in 3 years you could make that sweeping statement.

The thing you're all missing out on is that a game generally takes up to two years to go from planning through to gold master and release, thus even if games are written specifically for DirectX10 and Vista, by the time they're released they'll have "most" gamers already upgraded.

I agree with Gondola, I wont even plan on upgradeing my computers till the buggs get worked out and they release Vista Service pack 2... You might think I'm nuts or laugh but it will be on the market just as sure as there will be kids cracken it..

Vista

Users who are viewing this thread

Back