• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Updating in-game macros via .ini (1 Viewer)

jcr4990

RedCents
20¢
This is probably a stupid question but despite searching I've been unable to find an answer. I vaguely remember hearing from someone there was a way to do it but I haven't been able to figure it out or find any information on it. Is there a way to force the game to update in-game socials/macros from changes made directly to the Charname_server.ini file? Ideally without having to relog/zone? Or is this something that would require writing memory to change? I've experimented a bunch and no changes to the .ini seem to have any effect in-game and it always ends up eventually getting overwritten back to the original values.

This is probably a stupid question but despite searching I've been unable to find an answer. I vaguely remember hearing from someone there was a way to do it but I haven't been able to figure it out or find any information on it. Is there a way to force the game to update in-game socials/macros from changes made directly to the Charname_server.ini file? Ideally without having to relog/zone? Or is this something that would require writing memory to change? I've experimented a bunch and no changes to the .ini seem to have any effect in-game and it always ends up eventually getting overwritten back to the original values.
what *specifically* are you trying to do, it is going to vary by plugin/macro

or by macros do you mean everquest hotkey social macros?

if so you can use /hotbutton to create them

INI:
Description: our '/hotbutton' command
-//              Extends the built in /hotbutton command with multiple lines support
-// Usage:       /hotbutton [Name] <color> <Line:><Cursor:>[Text]
-//                <Line can be 1-5
-//                <Cursor can ONLY be 0 which means DO NOT put the hotbutton on the cursor.
-//                Usage:
-//                /hotbutton TheName 14 1:0:/echo hi    (Where 14 1:0: in this case means use color 14, then place /echo hi on LINE 1 and NO Cursor Attachment.)
-//                /hotbutton TheName 14 1:/echo hi    (Where 14 1: in this case means use color 14, then place /echo hi on LINE 1.)
-//                /hotbutton TheName 1:0:/echo hi        (Where 1:0: in this case means place /echo hi on LINE 1 and NO Cursor Attachment.)
-//                /hotbutton TheName 1:/echo hi        (Where 1: in this case means place /echo hi on LINE 1.)
-//                /hotbutton TheName 0:/echo hi        (Where 0: in this case means NO Cursor Attachment.)
-//                Finally, just doing /hotbutton TheName 14 /echo hi OR /hotbutton TheName /echo hi just calls the eq function like before.

from my personal experience, once you edit the ini, then log out the old stuff gonna be put back into it, and that is hugely annoying, so if someone has some infos about how to do that that, that would be hugely cool

what *specifically* are you trying to do, it is going to vary by plugin/macro

or by macros do you mean everquest hotkey social macros?
he is trying to edit the eq game inis that hold his hotkeys and socials and such.

if so you can use /hotbutton to create them

INI:
Description: our '/hotbutton' command
-//              Extends the built in /hotbutton command with multiple lines support
-// Usage:       /hotbutton [Name] <color> <Line:><Cursor:>[Text]
-//                <Line can be 1-5
-//                <Cursor can ONLY be 0 which means DO NOT put the hotbutton on the cursor.
-//                Usage:
-//                /hotbutton TheName 14 1:0:/echo hi    (Where 14 1:0: in this case means use color 14, then place /echo hi on LINE 1 and NO Cursor Attachment.)
-//                /hotbutton TheName 14 1:/echo hi    (Where 14 1: in this case means use color 14, then place /echo hi on LINE 1.)
-//                /hotbutton TheName 1:0:/echo hi        (Where 1:0: in this case means place /echo hi on LINE 1 and NO Cursor Attachment.)
-//                /hotbutton TheName 1:/echo hi        (Where 1: in this case means place /echo hi on LINE 1.)
-//                /hotbutton TheName 0:/echo hi        (Where 0: in this case means NO Cursor Attachment.)
-//                Finally, just doing /hotbutton TheName 14 /echo hi OR /hotbutton TheName /echo hi just calls the eq function like before.

In response to your edit:

I appreciate the suggestion! I knew of this command. My goal was to hopefully be able to update those ingame social macros from outside of the game itself. For example if I wanted to programmatically update the .ini file to change macros around on the fly. This may not even be realistically possible I just remember hearing something similar in the past and wanted to try to figure out if it was possible.

gotcha - i'm not sure you can do that outside of game and force it to reload
you might be able to edit them in a dummy characters stuff and then copy the hotkeys from in-game (i dunno if that *requires* copying the full ini layout too tho

My hunch is that when you push one of those social macro buttons in-game it's not actually reading your local .ini to know what to do. It's either loaded in memory or perhaps its serverside and just backed up locally? I haven't been able to figure it out and thought maybe someone here would know. Appreciate the help!

You can edit these from outside of EQ but 1. If your logged in while you edit them EQ likes to eat the changes when it logs out and saves it and 2. the macros section of the file is HORRIBLY written. Theirs no organization. Hot button 4 might be first, 6 next and 2 after that. That and the title sections of the button and the actual commands are not necessarily in order either. Basically the thing is a hot mess that looks like an ini file thrown in a blender. Your better off just editing it in game as much of a pain as that is. Best guess is EQ loads the file on char log-in and saves it on camp. The file your looking for is CharName_ServerName.ini and you want the [Socials] section but like i said good luck sorting the order out.

Question - Updating in-game macros via .ini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back